Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hesitation Blues - FIXED!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Hesitation Blues - FIXED!! Reply with quote

90' Syncro Westy w/2.5L GW.

Van was sitting for approx. 3wks, before that ran fine. Now, even after up to running temp, engine is extremely slugging off the line. First time I noticed it was that first day after 3wks.... I was at a stop light to get on the freeway....slammed down the gas pedal and she almost stalled. Now, ~80% of the time, pressing throttle gently or firmly, it's still slow to rev up. Once it gets up to speed and on the highway it's fine, but when the RPM's drop, like taking an exit and wanting to accelerate quickly, it's sluggish again.

Rotor, Cap, Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter were replaced just under 10k miles ago. New fuel injectors (new, from GoWesty), refurbished ICV and new O2 sensor were installed 775 miles ago to address failing smog (I passed after I replaced the injectors). Oil/filter changed more often than required. TPS clicks as it should when actuated.

All the above I do myself. Looking for input b4 taking to Peninsula Automotive in Campbell, CA (now that my beloved VanCafe is gone).

TIA

Last edited by Syncronoid on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Clogged catalytic?

Ours did what seems the same thing in Spring. Like it was getting no fuel intake or like the CPU or electricals went south, classic "Whaaa" sound under full throttle... and sporadically, dead-slow to accelerate. I ordered a new converter ten minutes later.

Though hard to hear the exhaust had a slight rattle to it, sounding like a bolt and nut were really loose.

I've surely been fooled by wind noise in our vans masking what's up out back. "Slower" is tough to tell from "slow" sometimes, and once up to "speed" things can all seem quite good. Cool Very Happy

Our issue cleared up over about 20-40 full-tilt highway miles. Our catalytic had apparently been clogged, or clogging over months of running rich while trying to diagnosis bad injectors.

When I pulled the converter off it was dead empty inside, leaving me to think the running condition was the last chunks of converter innards constipating the exhaust or the muffler -- as it were.

The rumors of running rich leading to converter failure are apparently correct.

Edit: And Oh, we also passed smog while chasing the injector issue. The converter condition then, unknown -- but only four months into what turned out to be 16 months of life, driving consistent monthly miles. Assume converter was still okay.

We only passed CO by about 10% when running rich. We have the GW injectors, too and they've been fine over 22 months now. I believe you can pop the plug on the converter to see if it runs better with less back pressure as a test.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Where does one begin to look/check for vacuum leaks??

Inlet wrote:
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

All the small hose lines cirumventing the engine. We replaced all of ours chasing a non-related issue and was shocked at how bad they were.

The one t-connector at engine center against the firewall is notorious for swaying side-to-side and pulling loose.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

I'm not seeing anything loose or disconnected in any of the obvious lines. No cracks or holes in the air intake boot either.

E1 wrote:
All the small hose lines cirumventing the engine. We replaced all of ours chasing a non-related issue and was shocked at how bad they were.

The one t-connector at engine center against the firewall is notorious for swaying side-to-side and pulling loose.

Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

I never saw any of my vacuum leaks either... A lot of people won't like this technique but use starting fluid and spray it around all the vacuum lines, intake boot, intake plenum boots, do this while the engine running and is cool, if you notice any changes to the idle, you found a leak...have a fire extinguisher nearby too, as the fluid can ignite, although its never happened to me.

Another thing you can try is unplug the o2 sensor and go for a drive, any difference?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Lighter fluid? No thanks! What does unplugging the O2 sensor do?

Inlet wrote:
I never saw any of my vacuum leaks either... A lot of people won't like this technique but use starting fluid and spray it around all the vacuum lines, intake boot, intake plenum boots, do this while the engine running and is cool, if you notice any changes to the idle, you found a leak...have a fire extinguisher nearby too, as the fluid can ignite, although its never happened to me.

Another thing you can try is unplug the o2 sensor and go for a drive, any difference?

Last edited by Syncronoid on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
I'm not seeing anything loose or disconnected in any of the obvious lines. No cracks or holes in the air intake boot either.

E1 wrote:

I still wonder about your catalytic, and have added more dribble to my first post regarding that. Smile

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Inlet's suggestion is actually known and valid.

Cold engine, spray short and quick before warmed up, Kid gloves but not for the kids. Wink

Unplugging the O2 discounts it from (potentially) sending bad air readings to mix fuel with via the ECU. If the engine's warmed up and runs exactly the same with or without the O2, I *think* that means it's toasted (open for verification here).

We replaced our last one with the $80-something Bosch instead of the prior $18 ones. I think it was worth it as we'd been through a couple cheap ones already and our mpg seems better on average now.

Dunno about your year, but our bus gives off a O2 warning light every 30,000 miles regardless of it still working.

Sudden bad running always brings up O2 and Temp II sensors as a quick fix.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Not doubting that's valid, I would leave that up to a shop to try.

Syncronoid wrote:
Lighter fluid? No thanks! What does unplugging the O2 sensor do?

Inlet wrote:

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Fair enough... we did, too but it looked safe enough.

(and found a leak in a manifold hose, immediate rpm rev)

— Colin Chapman
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

O2 sensor is brand new, will note that in first post.

E1 wrote:
Inlet's suggestion is actually known and valid.

Cold engine, spray short and quick before warmed up, Kid gloves but not for the kids. Wink

Unplugging the O2 discounts it from (potentially) sending bad air readings to mix fuel with via the ECU. If the engine's warmed up and runs exactly the same with or without the O2, I *think* that means it's toasted (open for verification here).

We replaced our last one with the $80-something Bosch instead of the prior $18 ones. I think it was worth it as we'd been through a couple cheap ones already and our mpg seems better on average now.

Dunno about your year, but our bus gives off a O2 warning light every 30,000 miles regardless of it still working.

Sudden bad running always brings up O2 and Temp II sensors as a quick fix.

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Where would one buy this "starter fluid" of which you speak?? Neutral

E1 wrote:
Fair enough... we did, too but it looked safe enough.

(and found a leak in a manifold hose, immediate rpm rev)

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Any FLAPS, the canned stuff you start a car with in winter.

(mostly in the carburetor days)

— Colin Chapman
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

So, one would expect the engine to surge momentarily when the starter fluid is ingested?

E1 wrote:
Any FLAPS, the canned stuff you start a car with in winter.

(mostly in the carburetor days)

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Well, I'm always up for a challenge and taking risks, so I just performed said test with Valvoline Extra Strength Starting Fluid. Started engine and sprayed liberally in all the various places you would expect to have a vacuum leak in the engine bay. I observed no changes in idle.

Edit: Got a nice little buzz along the way. Dancing
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Bump.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

I agree with a possible vac leak or restrictive exhaust. Easy enough to check on the exhaust. Loosen up a pipe connection and drive it all noisy.

The other scenario is that your timing moved when you replaced the dist cap. Is the cap on squarely? I also followed tencents advanced setting procedure on my RJE 2.2 WBX (+5 deg)

On your injectors, it's better to have your original ones rebuilt and avoiding new ones.

Are the plug wires the "correct" vw ones that have the threaded end plug retention feature? The upgraded plugs you should be running are NGK BP6ET

On the new dist cap, make sure the rotor contact button is ok. Do you have the old cap?

The last thing I would check is your AFM. Do you have a spare you can try?

Take a look at this video

Link
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hesitation Blues Reply with quote

Everything changed out didn't cause the problem, van drove fine for over 750 miles. Taking in for smoke test soon.

tjet wrote:
I agree with a possible vac leak or restrictive exhaust. Easy enough to check on the exhaust. Loosen up a pipe connection and drive it all noisy.

The other scenario is that your timing moved when you replaced the dist cap. Is the cap on squarely? I also followed tencents advanced setting procedure on my RJE 2.2 WBX (+5 deg)

On your injectors, it's better to have your original ones rebuilt and avoiding new ones.

Are the plug wires the "correct" vw ones that have the threaded end plug retention feature? The upgraded plugs you should be running are NGK BP6ET

On the new dist cap, make sure the rotor contact button is ok. Do you have the old cap?

The last thing I would check is your AFM. Do you have a spare you can try?

Take a look at this video.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: