Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

Hi... I have a couple of questions about my 1955 Swedish project.

The rear fenders were removed when I got the car, I have fitted the passenger side and heart tail light, which all works as it should... But I cant see where the wiring should run from the factory for the drivers side. The wiring for both sides runs into the rear valance then I cant trace the drivers side. Where should it run?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, my fuel reserve tap is broken. This is the one that was fitted to my fuel tank:

The lever was fitted loosely in the car, but it looks like there should be a clevis pin or something similar fitted to attach the lever to the tap. What is 'correct'?

The tar boards in my engine bay look original, but are out of shape... Any tips on how to get them looking a bit better?

Thanks, Neil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
Hi... I have a couple of questions about my 1955 Swedish project.

Also, my fuel reserve tap is broken. This is the one that was fitted to my fuel tank:

The lever was fitted loosely in the car, but it looks like there should be a clevis pin or something similar fitted to attach the lever to the tap. What is 'correct'?

Thanks, Neil

Original was a “R” clip to fasten the lever to the petcock. But most people just use a cotter pin

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

This post should help with repairing and rebuilding the fuel tap:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383448
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

thanks guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

The wiring to the drivers side runs in upper section of the rear apron...you should be able to see it looking from under the car...your muffler might be blocking your view
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

Your fuel tap isn't correct for your car. It's a '56 onwards tap. Yours should look like the one in this ad:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=469623
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

I will try and get a photo later of my 55's original wiring for the hearts and where it runs. If you're not too concerned, some basic twin core or three core wire is pretty similar to original if you need it.
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

For the tar boards, get a crappy used oven and bake them for 30 minutes at 250 degrees. Then remove and reshape, place back in engine bay with oven gloves.

I'm not keen on the WW/WCM replacements although you may like them.

R
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

... while the fuel tap, you are using, will function, my'55s have the type with a little filter as pictured, on top... in my spare parts box.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 questions - Tail light wiring. Fuel reserve tap. Tar boards Reply with quote

Hazza6542 wrote:
I will try and get a photo later of my 55's original wiring for the hearts and where it runs. If you're not too concerned, some basic twin core or three core wire is pretty similar to original if you need it.

... most every time I went to the all-VW salvage, i'd get a complete harness or two... have plenty of correct wiring to make little harnesses - if you need any, PM me.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: