Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 2WD Van fuel filler upgrade
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Late 2WD Van fuel filler upgrade Reply with quote

Carrot Aero Fuel Filler

Just finished a test fit of this on the weekend:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The original mild steel collar that connects the filler tube to the plastic body insert was badly corroded. The three screws that fasten the tube/collar assembly to the plastic body insert where rusted in place. I damaged the plastic body insert while removing the rusted screws.

Looked around for the replacement parts and could not find the metal collar for the filler tube anywhere. I did learn that the European fill tube is different from the late North American fill tube specifically where and how it connects to the backside of the plastic insert in the body panel.

While researching I found the Aero Fuel Filler on the UK site Brickwerks. The kit is comprised of two parts:
- The external cap assembly which is made by Newton Industries of London England. Excellent design and manufacturing.
- The adapter assembly which connects the filler tube to the cap assembly. It is made in Germany and is an excellent design. One issue with this part of the kit was that the external element of the adapter which locates the cap assembly on the exterior of the Van came with a powder coated finish which did not allow for the very tight tolerances of the concentric aluminum rings. I had the part stripped then anodized and the problem was solved. Brickwerks did not take ownership of the problem, so be sure to bring it up before ordering if you decide to go this way...

Something was lost in translation between Germany and London, but at this price point it should be perfect.

Fast forward to this past weekend and it is installed. Solves all of the corrosion related problems as all of the components inside the wheel well are Stainless Steel, Aluminum(painted) Carbon fibre, and rubber. You need to purchase the stainless ring, an all stainless clamp and fill tube rubber separately to complete the project. I kept the stock internal metal flap/vent assembly which is inside the late filler tube in place.

Pros:
- very precise and sturdy attachment to the body
- corrosion proof
- I like the appearance from the outside

Cons:
- Ferkin expensive
- Not truly a kit since you need to buy the clamp and Stainless ring and rubber boot.
- If you loose the cap there will be tears before bedtime.
- Use of the term “Aero”sounds ridiculous in relation to the flying toaster that is my Van.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 2WD Van fuel filler upgrade Reply with quote

Oooo... carbon fiber.
Or fibré.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: