Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction state inspection stickers
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Saw this in Hemmings magazine:

https://inspectionsticker.net

VW related:

https://inspectionsticker.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=1310
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Is it just me or does the "Castrol" on that sticker look wacky?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Not sure if NY State DMV or police will approve of them being on a car that is driven on public roads.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Is it just me or does the "Castrol" on that sticker look wacky?

I agree. Confused

Looking at his California stickers, it appears he has mocked up some very crude stickers for 1940-1943, based on the only actual real example from 1944. The dates on the ersatz ones look super odd. Not to mention, the 1944 sticker was not an inspection sticker, but rather a license plate validation.

And while my memory is fading in old age, I've lived in California since 1976 and I don't remember EVER getting an inspection sticker here. He shows them up to 1986. I'm quite sure those are fantasy items.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Back around the late 1970s in California the only inspection sticker I had/saw was when they had mandated the EGR NOx smog devices, and I had a light blue "APPROVED" sticker in the passenger lower corner (along with a college parking permit decal or two). Oddly, it was issued by the Department of Consumer Affairs, I think. It made passing the long-gone roadside inspections easier, but you didn't get a sticker for passing, you got a ticket for failing! I really don't think those stickers they are selling existed at that time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

I do remember in the early 1970s when I was driving my 57 Oval VW in the National City, CA area. The Highway Patrol
set up a temporary vehicle Safety Inspection Station and I got singled out.

They checked registration, insurance, headlights, taillights, turn signals, wiper blades, tires, muffler and that was about it.
I passed of course and I do remember them giving me a Passed Safety Inspection sticker to place in the corner of the windshield Popcorn

But I could not tell you what it may have looked like back then . . . .

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Where did you get that glove box sticker? Very Happy
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

my 59 bus came with a 1969 Missouri inspection sticker on the windshield.(probably when it was taken off the road and sat in the garage it was found in). Since it is registered as Historic QQ plated here in NJ i left it on as with that QQ designation it never needs to be inspected. I have seen that site before and it showed me that my old sticker matches the repro Missouri one for 1969
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Where did you get that glove box sticker? Very Happy

Actually that's a photo of my brother, looking very Bob Weir-ish!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Hmm. I call "cheese dick" for his pricing strategy. For fun I looked up Idaho- he offers six. But he states pricing "starting at $20" then you choose month and custom plate number. Why the hell not just say they're $30 f*ing dollars done how 99% of customers would want them? Who wants a sticker made for their car that's identical to anyone else's?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

we sure are lucky - no state vehicle inspection.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

We definitely had these CHP stickers in the 60's in Redding, CA. I have a '69 CHP sticker for my '69 squareback.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
We definitely had these CHP stickers in the 60's in Redding, CA. I have a '69 CHP sticker for my '69 squareback.

Did they look just like those for sale?

Our family has had 8 VWs built from 1962 to 1971, all but one used, all in California, and never saw those!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

Yes, they looked just like these although I don't remember much about the colors.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

So along with "APPROVED" stickers...

...there were also "EXEMPT" stickers which meant as implied, exempt from the smog inspection program. This was done for low-production exotics (like this photo grabbed from a recent Chasing Classic Cars episode about a California Lamborghini find.

These relate specifically to the smog retrofit program on the mid-'70s. This was not a generic inspection program.

I was occasionally stopped for the roadside safety check, but I don't remember her getting a sticker. I was just in high school, and wasn't much into compliance... maybe an owner had the option to bring the car into a DMV/CHP site for inspection, and got a sticker entitling them to bypass those roadside inspections? Or maybe it was a one-time thing when you brought a car into California registration for the first time? I just don't know.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction state inspection stickers Reply with quote

After seeing their less than ideal service sticker, I was inspired to make my own. But now that I've done it I am not sure I really want to mount one in the door frame. Confused

I put in the name and address of Riviera Motors in San Francisco, who imported my car, but any dealer name can easily be inserted in Photoshop. Print it out on adhesive-backed paper and it will look reasonably authentic.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: