Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chromebooks vs laptops
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

I'm going to be getting a new computer for school work and surfing the web. I was thinking a Chromebook, like the Acer 15 15.6" screen computer but was unsure, can this do Excell, surf the web, do PowerPoints and most importantly run the Khanacademy.com website nicely?

Would it be too small?

I like Chromebooks because they don't have fans in the bottom, so you can set them on carpet, but I like that it's more like a PC, enabling users to do some stuff a Mac can't do regularly. Crying or Very sad no offence Mom it was a great Christmas present, I'm sorry I gave it away.

Things have been difficult lately, had a bit of a panic attack smashed up some of my stuff, through my backpack and basically strewn a bunch of my shit out across the roads here.

I'm really wanting and hoping on making my environment improve.
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

I'm wanting to use it for the Khan academy's math section, will a Chromebook work or do I need a PC?

Also, I will eventually be running Excell. Would you recommend the Chromebook or the laptop?

I hear Chromebooks can do Excell now. Thank you a lot for the help.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Chromebook+with+Khan+academy

I see what looks like the answer there.

Or there is probably a better site to ask this on since the vast majority of people here are not in school
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

I think a lot is going to depend on your budget. I'm long out of school and use a very high horsepower desktop in my everyday work. I also bought a laptop to use as a backup and to take with me if needed. I looked at quite a few and settled on a Lenovo Yoga (stupid name, but bear with me). 16" touch screen when in tablet mode, and a 'regular' screen when in laptop mode. The unit can fold in half for tablet mode, which is nice. It's also very light with a very long battery life. Much, much better unit than an Acer that it replaced (Acer died within a year of owning it). Just my $.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

Chromebook's only run chrome apps. You have to use google slides, docs, sheets and other apps. Microsoft documents can be loaded to chrome and edited easily.

There are many manufactures of chromebooks and each has its own benefit. Depending on cpu speed, hard drive space (which is small because everything is cloud based). You cannot download pc programs. Chrome is the operating system.

Price range from $99-300 depending on what you want.

I use them everyday with my students. 60 kids use a set of 20 that I have. They get beat on, slammed covers, button smashing, dropped, carrried awkwardly. I never have problems. Just my $.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Chromebook's only run chrome apps. You have to use google slides, docs, sheets and other apps. Microsoft documents can be loaded to chrome and edited easily.

There are many manufactures of chromebooks and each has its own benefit. Depending on cpu speed, hard drive space (which is small because everything is cloud based). You cannot download pc programs. Chrome is the operating system.

I use them everyday with my students. 60 kids use a set of 20 that I have. They get beat on, slammed covers, button smashing, dropped, carrried awkwardly. I never have problems. Just my $.02

This persuades me to go with the pretty Chromebook.

However, I'm worried about the time I'll need to hook up my calculator and run it's software,

I guess when that time comes? IDK.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

greggl4321 wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:

This persuades me to go with the pretty Chromebook.

However, I'm worried about the time I'll need to hook up my calculator and run it's software,

I guess when that time comes? IDK.

Just make sure your calculator software is available on google apps. If not...it’s a no go.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

greggl4321 wrote:
but I like that it's more like a PC, enabling users to do some stuff a Mac can't do regularly. Crying or Very sad no offence Mom it was a great Christmas present, I'm sorry I gave it away.

fwiw, any Mac made in the past decade can run Windows natively.
Apple officially supports installing it alongside their OS via BootCamp.

That said, there's not a whole lot you can do in Windows that you can't do in Mac OS, which I guess is my concern here.
You gave away the Mac because you felt it was limited, ChromeOS is going to feel suffocating. Its extremely limited - great for what it's designed for, but if you need something there isn't a Google App for it's not going to work.
ie, the calc. program.

If cost is the driving factor look at refurb laptops, (TigerDirect, Newegg, Amazon, etc); speed wise there hasn't been a huge improvement in usability in almost a decade.
Saw a cheapie Thinkpad for $129 a month ago in a TigerDirect ad. Wont run the newest games, but will do everything you listed.
And if/when you smash it, accidentally or not, it'll hurt less than breaking a brand new computer.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

I love my crappy HP chromebook - it surfs the net, that's about it.

Wife has the crappy HP Microsoft version of a chromebook (I forget what it's called) - much more useful - runs microsoft compatible products, didn't cost much more than chromebook and works with all her school work. It is more finicky - it's always updating, it's slower to start/close/load, etc. It annoys me to no end, but she learned on it pretty quick and likes it.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromebooks vs laptops Reply with quote

I think I'll be going with a Chromebook, I've been looking at the Acer R11 and the Acer Chromebook 11, I don't really need the device to bend 180degrees. What I would like is whichever device packs the most performance and is best on the eyes for the least amount of money. Again, I intend for this device to be used for the khanacademy.com's math section, any advice concerning these two devices would be appreciated or additional input would also be appreciated

Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: