Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

What a pain in the arse… Got the strikers rebuilt and installed. They aren't pretty, but serve the purpose nicely. Should be good for another 50 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Some progress on the LED tail light mod. Going to be about 221 LEDs in total. The running lights will be the outer diameter of the lens. The brakes will cover the top 2/3s of the lens, while the bottom 1/3 will be blinker. This is the first mock up, so it could change.

When using the punch gave the plastic a natural curve which matches the lens quite well...

Drilled out the holes. Turned out nice so far. Had only 2 holes which were to close to the edge.

Initial test fitting into the housing did not go well. Had my measurements off. Measure five times cut once... So my next prototype should fit better... Back to the drawing board.

Ok, after numerous measurements, finally got it sorted.

Comparing the new prototype with the first, definitely came out better. No holes too close to the edge.

It's more or less a perfect fit. Just have a bit of trimming to do... Now it's time for the electrical work. LOTS OF SOLDERING!!! Will have to order more LEDs, obviously 100 was not nearly enough.

Just to let you guys know, no modifications to the original lamp housing is required. These should be plug and play.

The outer edge of the lens will be the running light. Here is an example with just 3 LEDs, they are not close together though...

Last edited by xzener on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Popcorn

You're going to make me look like a copy cat when I do mine Razz

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Oh yea... make sure you take day and night comparison photos of the LED and incandescent lights installed in the car.

I'm done now.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Will do... It's gonna be night and day. Forgot to mention, when I went to my local air ride shop, noticed they had DRL/Brake/signal mod boxes. Not happy with the ones I bought. The DRL to Brake dimness ratio isn't to my standard. But I have decided to wire these up differently then stock, so we'll see how these look first.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
...Man, these things are BRITE!! Cool going to do groups of 3 with a 120 ohm resistor.
The LED in the picture looks white. If that is the case you will be limiting the total brightness of the tail lamps but with as many LEDs as you are using it may not matter. White LEDs actually emit a mixture of colors/wavelengths to produce the WHITE light. When a white LED is placed behind a colored lens, only THAT color/wavelength light will pass through leaving a fair amount of light as unseen through the lens. In this case, high brightness Red LEDs are the better choice. The light will cone through at near maximum brightness and the tail lights will be a true red rather than the washed out pinkish red you topically see on incandescent tail lights. This may be a good opportunity for an experiment since you have to buy more LEDs anyway.

Here's an article about white LEDs to "geek out" on: https://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/articles/Protocol%20Winter%202011%20-%20White%20LEDs.pdf

-----
Emil

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks for the info, I will be sure to get red then.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Well get the red LEDs on order. Fitment of the 2nd prototype has been a bit of an issue. It fits the fixture fine, getting the lens on is the problem. Will need some more trimming. But...

That project is on hold until I get the LEDs. Now on to the next project. Installing the Accuair height sensors for the front suspension. Found a good placement. Had to make custom brackets for the shock mount. More to come.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Went with KGPRs side molding. ISPWest was fresh out of theirs. I think it looks great!

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Probably gonna get a lot of heat for this, but here goes... With a small modification to the headlight adjust bucket, I have installed LED headlights with DRL and turn signals. They are VERY bright.

Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Well no heat from me. Which LED headlight did you use and what does the signal look like?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

I went with these from Carid... https://www.carid.com/spec-d/7-round-black-halo-pr...l=15786907 The DRL and turn signals are switchback Halos. They are white with DRL, and switch to Amber during the turn signal, then switchback to white when the signal is turned off.

Here is a short video. Don't mind the air ride auto adjusts... It has a couple leaks, but it's only ruffed in to check functionality.

Link

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Those are freakin badass! Look like the deathstar
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

The video doesn't do them justice... They are bright, but not nuclear powered. Cool The video looks like they could melt steel. I'm just glad to have front turn signals now.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Looks cool, did you have to use any type of voltage drop for the LED's? Or do they wire right into existing set up?

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

They plug right in to the existing headlight plug. Depending on how these look outside (if I ever get her out of the garage), I may be installing a resistor to dim the DRL a tad.
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

They have functioning hi/lo beams? I might have to copy cat you on those. . .
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yes, but haven't tested it yet... That wire is not connected at the moment. Was in the midst of finishing up my wiring under the dash. I can test and confirm today.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
...I may be installing a resistor to dim the DRL a tad.
DON'T... with the body color being close to grey you will be partially invisible on the road. Keep those DRLs at nu-ki-ler levels. If it wasn't illegal I would install front and rear strobing LED DRLs...when I get there in my build, of course Very Happy

-----
Emil

PS. No heat from me either... Loving the mods.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Soldering of the "Red" LEDs has commenced. Have some resistors on order, unable to test till I get those. I was able to test sets if 3, and with the dimmer switch, I am happy with the running light brightness. More to come.

Here, the running light (outer perimeter) is more or less soldered. Just need the 1 ohm resistors and wire them up. The brake light will consist of the top two thirds of the lens, and the blinker, the bottom third.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 46

Jump to: