Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel parts that fit Gasoline, Mk1 Rabbit??
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadlee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Diesel parts that fit Gasoline, Mk1 Rabbit?? Reply with quote

Will these parts from a Diesel Mk1 Rabbit work on a Gasoline Mk1 Rabbit? And are these parts the exact same or slightly different?
This list of parts look pretty much the same, but I want to ask the experts.
Starter
Radiator
Radiator fan
Flywheel
Clutch
Pressure plate
Fuel tank
Exhaust manifold
Exhaust system
Engine mount brackets
Water pump
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel parts that fit Gasoline, Mk1 Rabbit?? Reply with quote

Many of the parts are similar and not exactly the same.

Most of those parts will simply bolt right in. I believe the radiator was slightly longer, the starter slightly larger [I know the automatic starter is larger and fatter], the exhaust would be missing a cat converter, and the original diesel engine mounts were more stout [what you can get today are different].
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel parts that fit Gasoline, Mk1 Rabbit?? Reply with quote

X2^

Everything will work with the exception of the passenger side engine mount bracket, the diesel one is extended to also mount the injection pump, but this can be cut down to work & yes, they are beefier (the mount & the bracket.).

I always source a diesel starter when I replace one, the diesel starter will crank the engine no matter what.

The diesel flywheel is heavier & usually has a smaller clutch assembly. (180mm or 200mm vs the 210mm in the later gassers.

Depending on year, the diesel exhaust can be more restrictive. My '78 had a dual outlet manifold & downpipe, later ones typically had the "toilet Bowl" single outlet with the spring clamps.

The water pump can be a source of contention, early cars had a 40mm pump pulley flange, later cars had a 30mm pulley flange, both work the same but early pulleys are hard to find.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel parts that fit Gasoline, Mk1 Rabbit?? Reply with quote

The first change I made to my then brand new gas Rabbit in '76 was to buy a diesel starter and up size the battery. That car as supplied by VW would not start much below freezing without plugging in the block heater. It just would not turn over! The original starter was quite small.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel parts that fit Gasoline, Mk1 Rabbit?? Reply with quote

Not that it matters, but if you're looking for a stouter starter for a manual transmission, the gear reduction versions are small and pretty stout too.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel parts that fit Gasoline, Mk1 Rabbit?? Reply with quote

The timing marks would be different on the diesel flywheel.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: