Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent Wing Leak
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

First big rain after putting my '67 back together and my first priority was looking for leaks. Smile

Suffice to say, I wasn't let down and there's a lot of water coming in at the vent wing. Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like the vertical seal extends too far down and as a result, the big bottom one-piece seal can't seat in the frame right, causing the vent wing to not fully be able to close. Embarassed Am I diagnosing this right?

Full picture of the door here if there's anything else I've screwed up. Laughing

Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

Looks to me like the big seal is not in place correctly. There is a channel inside the frame that the seal fits into. Then the outside edges of the seal go over the frame. A real pain to get in right, but you can tell when it’s in correctly.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

The upper, riveted hinge is supposed to protrude through a small slit in the adjacent part of the seal. It's forcing the herniation your getting above it. If I'm not mistaken did you try to do your seals while leaving the vent window in place?

The rear seal is fine- and I agree with the above poster- you just need to fully seat the seal in the inner groove. While you have it out- cut the excess mold flashing from the inside (at least). It will make it fit much easier.

Lastly- a quick search of the FAQs leads to this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266079

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
The upper, riveted hinge is supposed to protrude through a small slit in the adjacent part of the seal. It's forcing the herniation your getting above it. If I'm not mistaken did you try to do your seals while leaving the vent window in place?

The rear seal is fine- and I agree with the above poster- you just need to fully seat the seal in the inner groove. While you have it out- cut the excess mold flashing from the inside (at least). It will make it fit much easier.

Lastly- a quick search of the FAQs leads to this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266079

Hi Hitest!

I actually had everything disassembled when I did it. I actually had the bottom seal seated a little better in the inner groove, but what appears to be happening is that because the vertical seal is protruding down too far, the nub on the bottom horizontal seal is preventing the wing from closing all of the way. This is leaving a gap where the bare glass should hit rubber, but more importantly, the front (FIF) of the wing isn't seating all the way into the little groove in the front.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, so I'll try to take more pictures tomorrow morning when it's light out again.

(Thanks for both of your responses! Also: I'll check out the link...thanks!)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

I rubbed my eyes and now I see a little better! Your upper wing mount does indeed pass through the rubber. Great deal. That stubborn seal, when grabbing the entire length of that inner grip channel, should allow the rear vertical seal to pass through.

Also on that closer eyes-rubbed view- I truly believe the mold flashing is a major contributor to the heartache with that lower corner intersection. I swear I see a small vertical flap that needs removal.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I rubbed my eyes and now I see a little better! Your upper wing mount does indeed pass through the rubber. Great deal. That stubborn seal, when grabbing the entire length of that inner grip channel, should allow the rear vertical seal to pass through.

Ah ha! I will play with it to see if I can get the horizontal seal pushed into place so that vertical seal can pass through!

hitest wrote:
Also on that closer eyes-rubbed view- I truly believe the mold flashing is a major contributor to the heartache with that lower corner intersection. I swear I see a small vertical flap that needs removal.

So when you say "mold flashing," could you be a little more specific? I just want to make sure I know exactly what you're talking about.

Thanks!
Avo
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

If you ever built plastic models- you know the extra rims and ridges of plastic you had to carefully trim off the wheels so they would fit in the tires? Some call them molding sprues. When the rubber is poured into a mold- the more 3d the product- the more gaps between each section of an imprecise mold. Those seals are notorious for having extra mold flashing that needs to be cut off. Moreso than any other bus seal I have seen. Mold flash is exactly what you have a vertical strip of where the vent pivots through the seal. On the underside it is ten times worse- and complicates installation in the window frame's metal channel.

Or, flashing is what squirts off the side of the breakfast waffle maker in the hotel lobby! Smile

FU#5
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

Vertical seal can be left long.
Trim adjacent seal (see orange lines for approximation) to remove flashing and maybe relieve it some for the shape of the vertical seal. Make the puzzle pieces fit as best you can.
Big seal needs to be fully seated in it's center channel groove and the outer lip needs to be pulled over the outer part of the metal frame.

avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

Thanks Hitest and Easy E!
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Wing Leak Reply with quote

So I think I'm getting closer, but my window still isn't seating the whole way (and therefore isn't completely sealing).

It looks like I need to keep removing a little more of that horizontal extra rubber (beyond what was just flashing) so that everything seats better, based on Easy E's pictures. I'll post an update when I've done that.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: