Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing retards upon acceleration?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

Recently installed a CB Megaspark II system. Static timing set around 8 degrees BTDC. When accelerating, the dynamic timing appears to be retarding back towards the zero mark. Please help me understand why this is happening. Thanks. Jack
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

Are you sure that the initial timing is in fact 8* BTDC and not *8 ATDC? If it were 8*ATDC then it would indeed appear to be going the wrong way...
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

Installed upside down.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

spark going backwards?
Irish31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

Yes, I am sure that the degrees crank is firing at 8 degrees BTDC. Not entirely sure what is meant by installed upside down. Spark going backwards? You mean like the engine running counterclockwise?
SubbinNCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

What timing gun do you have? Does yours have a variable setting? Is it set to zero?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

Irish31 wrote:
Yes, I am sure that the degrees crank is firing at 8 degrees BTDC. Not entirely sure what is meant by installed upside down. Spark going backwards? You mean like the engine running counterclockwise?

Those were just snide comments not intended to be helpful.

I just mentioned the BTDC/ATDC thing because not too long ago after a distributor change I thought I had the same problem and it took me a few minutes to realize I had static timed it on the wrong side of TDC.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

It is possible for the distributor to do this, OR the timing light to do that, if certain electronic components have failed, or maybe if the VR sensor was connected reverse polarity, or something like that. I'd check with another timing light first before sending it back.
Irish31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

OK, I will check this with another timing light. Thanks, Jack
Irish31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Timing retards upon acceleration? Reply with quote

Tried a different timing light and the engine responded normally. Thanks for your help guys. Problem solved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: