Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan Reply with quote

Anybody have experience registering/titling an imported vehicle with a foreign language title in Michigan? I'm going to pick up a doka this week that I had shipped from Germany and am wondering if I will need a translation of the title to get it titled in Michigan. I know some other states have such requirements.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a vehicle with a german title in Michigan Reply with quote

Check your dmv. Mine was simple I just brought in the title from belgium into the VA DMV. Some states require a notorized translation of the title.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan Reply with quote

When I brought my Syncro in from Germany, the DOL here in WA wanted a complete translation of all the paperwork before they could give me a title. I sent scans of the paperwork to an outfit in NY. They mailed back their paperwork and charged me $100 for the service. I have the company name somewhere here on my desk. PM me if you need the business name.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan Reply with quote

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-48268_48268-179823--F,00.html
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-48268_48268-179823--F,00.html

I posted the question because I read that page and saw no mention of translations, just “proper ownership documents”. I’ll probably get them translated just in case.
rizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
When I brought my Syncro in from Germany, the DOL here in WA wanted a complete translation of all the paperwork before they could give me a title. I sent scans of the paperwork to an outfit in NY. They mailed back their paperwork and charged me $100 for the service. I have the company name somewhere here on my desk. PM me if you need the business name.

Thanks. I found a list of translators in my town. It was actually on the DMV (SOs) website (but in reference to translating documents for immigrants).
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan Reply with quote

You may be able to just call and ask if you need it translated or not. Sometimes they can be very helpful over the phone.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a vehicle with a German title in Michigan Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
You may be able to just call and ask if you need it translated or not. Sometimes they can be very helpful over the phone.

Good suggestion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: