Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fogged glass on VDO guages in cockpit.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hynesite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Fogged glass on VDO guages in cockpit. Reply with quote

1970 vert. Tried using a hair dryer to get the moisture out, but didn't work. Are these glass (or plastic) pieces able to come off so that one can clean the inside of it? Also, is there a seal or something that can be replaced to keep moisture out of these things?

As always, thanks!
-C
d4g4m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: vdo guage Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a fuel guage. Remove the guage from the dash. You'll see that the ring is ever so slightly bent over the body. Use a very small screwdriver to very slightly pry the edge every 1/2 inch or so.
Use equal pressure both hands to pop the ring off. Be careful. The ring is very thin anodized aluminum and will easily scratch and bend.There is no seal and I forget if the lense is plastic or glass.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the light bulb out of the rear you will open it up enough to allow the condensation to escape. There is no need to pull it all apart, unless the inside of the glass is filthy.
hynesite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.
-C
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually what you will find is a dirty film has collected on the inside of the glass from years of pollutants combined with condensation. As d4g4m suggested carefully remove the rings then clean and polish the glass.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
hynesite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Usually what you will find is a dirty film has collected on the inside of the glass from years of pollutants combined with condensation. As d4g4m suggested carefully remove the rings then clean and polish the glass.

As it turns out, what I thought was fog was actually 40 years of film. Took off the ring and cleaned one of the guages and WOW! The thing looks brand new. Must do it to all of them now. What a difference-- Although it took me probably half an hour to get a ring off. Tedious, but worth it. The face IS glass as it turns out, so if anyone out there decides to try this, please have patience with it as it appears very easy to crack the glass as you pry with a screwdriver.

Thanks,
-C
hynesite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update--Also be careful if you have a comparable VDO clock for 1970. The face on this one is not glass but plastic. (Speedo and Fuel are glass on these types) Tried to remove the ring, but because of not paying attention with that little nob thing in the center of the clock, I caused a small hairline crack in the plastic. Also, because this plastic is close to 40 years old, obviously, windex will not clean it. The haze will not go away conventionally.

-C
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i worked at a restoration shop where i would restore some guages of the ccars that we did, we liked to use WD40 on a swab to clean the face, test it first as some faces will rub off with this oil, for the glass we would polish with Mothers mag and aluminum polish on a 0000 steel wool.

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hynesite wrote:
Update--Also be careful if you have a comparable VDO clock for 1970. The face on this one is not glass but plastic. (Speedo and Fuel are glass on these types) Tried to remove the ring, but because of not paying attention with that little nob thing in the center of the clock, I caused a small hairline crack in the plastic. Also, because this plastic is close to 40 years old, obviously, windex will not clean it. The haze will not go away conventionally.

-C

This is the best stuff I have ever used on clear plastic http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5771

Mike Gerson

TransModeV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
hynesite wrote:

-C

This is the best stuff I have ever used on clear plastic http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5771

KingKarmann, do you remember the name of the stuff you used as the link is broken.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransModeV wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
hynesite wrote:

-C

KingKarmann, do you remember the name of the stuff you used as the link is broken.

Searching that site that is linked to for plastic polish returns this product ...

HUT Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not certain if that's the one that KingKarmann meant to recommend, but it is highly rated on Amazon - a 4.8 out of 5 stars averaged over 23 different reviews

It's worth noting that the price on woodcraft.com is considerably less than Amazon's price, though.

Last edited by KGCoupe on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
TransModeV wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
hynesite wrote:

-C

Searching that site that is linked to for plastic polish returns this product ...

[img]https://woodcraft-production-weblinc.netdna-ssl.com/product_images/hut-ultra-gloss-plastic-polish/5843c10869702d02530003b3/detail.jpg?c=1480835336[/img]

I'm not certain if that's the one that KingKarmann meant to recommend, but it is highly rated on Amazon - a 4.8 out of 5 stars averaged over 23 different reviews

It's worth noting that the price on woodcraft.com is considerably less than Amazon's price, though.

You are correct sir! HUT

Mike Gerson

TransModeV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you all are epic!

KGCoupe wrote:
TransModeV wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
hynesite wrote:

-C

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: