Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Diesel Timing Marks
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: 1984 Diesel Timing Marks Reply with quote

Hi all, I have done several timing belt changes before but this is a first I've seen these timing marks. Instead of the standard "V" notch or dimple I have a flywheel with a gradiated scale. Can anyone guide me to the correct mark? There is a "O" and after that an "A". I am thinking the O is TDC and the A is after TDC maybe?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance - Sawyer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Diesel Timing Marks Reply with quote

Yes normally "0" is tdc to test this the crankshaft will rotate easy a few degrees with little resistance before and after the zero with the zero being the easiest point because the pistons are at rest as the crankshaft rod throws are centered vertically in the block and piston movement stops. On earlyer diesel engines there was a "v" notch to indicate top dead center "0"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sawyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Diesel Timing Marks Reply with quote

Well I tried several positions and finally the mark between the 2 and the 0 was the winner.

It starts and runs good a little black smoke on higher revs so I'll play with the IP timing.

Following a few suggestions It seemed to work. The slight relaxed spot, the alternator/crank pully bolts in line with the cylider bore and the crank locating pin at the 7:30 position.

These points were still a vague setting so I moved it a few degrees for and aft and found the apparent TDC, Still maybe not exact but as said it starts, runs and sounds correct.

Thank you all.

Sawyer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: