Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Street Rail - fitted
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Bought a Sandrail about 2 months ago with the intent of building a badass street rail out of it. It'll need suspension, motor work, brake upgrades, new welds and cuts, wheels, lights, paint....and probably 1 million other things.

Here is the starting point...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Way too high and way too ugly...
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

here is another...kinda looks like a tractor. I am going to have to cut the top off soon Confused
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Step 1..

Remove aluminum beam and add adjustable beam. Picked up a rebuilt king pin (brazil) ...this thing is way heavier. Cut the shock tower mounts off of the frame.

The beam gives me about 2" more of shock height that the shock mounts would with the aluminum beam.

Picked up a disc kit also.... nothing fancy.

The height is pretty good but the tie rod (pass side) is close to frame. I think I will have to add drop spindles after all. Then I can slam the rail about 1 more inch!

Did I mention I picked up some badass Centerline wheels...they are awesome, but they will need thicker tires. I think I may go with bigger in the rear and keep the front as is.
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Front stance

The rear has some gas shocks. With the smaller tires and the lowering that will take place I will have to lift the motor/trans about 3 inches and weld a new mount.

Quick cpu sketch, but the frame will look like a simpler version of this when done. maybe....

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

I don't want to rain on your parade, but before you invest a ton of money...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700798

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Thanks Dale, but the law wont rain on my parade. I ride with my middle finger up just so they know not to attempt to pull me over.

Works every time!
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Fuckin awesome. I look forward to the updates.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

javashot wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Thanks Dale, but the law wont rain on my parade. I ride with my middle finger up just so they know not to attempt to pull me over.

Works every time!

What Dale was nicely trying to say is...As it stands the titling, licensing, and on-road insurance issuing is/was on hold pending further hearings. An initial round of title and license revocation already happened about 1 year ago. Hence why many rails and "manx" buggies went up for sale in texas and just across the boarder in Arkansas. Shot last forth of July I was in Fort Smith AR. One of the used car lots had 20+ buggies and rails all with Texas plates on them for sale. Most for under 4K.
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

javashot wrote:

I am not an expert on lowered beams... But I have learned a lot over the last couple years.

The goal to reduce bump steer is for the tie rods to be parallel to the ground. Obviously you are not in this category. One thing you can do is flip the tie rods to the underside of the spindle arm. Although a lowering spindle would be ideal, flipping the tie rod would be a good bandaid until new parts can be sourced.

What size wheels/tires are you running in the second pic? That setup looks killer.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

javashot wrote:

I hope you have huge arms. Steering that thing with those wide tires up front is either going to take a giant wheel, or a lot of muscle! Shocked
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. That’s also a lot of extra stress on the front suspension. Wide tires may look cool, but they don’t really gain you anything on a vehicle like this. Really, too wide on something this light up front and it really just makes it worse. There is a reason rails run skinny tires up front. But if what you are going for is looks, go for it man.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
javashot wrote:

I hope you have huge arms. Steering that thing with those wide tires up front is either going to take a giant wheel, or a lot of muscle! Shocked

Electric Power Steering conversion.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

1st thing I would do is put that battery in a box, nothing like battery acid in you face in a crash or big bump!

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Fenix wrote:
javashot wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Works every time!

What Dale was nicely trying to say is...As it stands the titling, licensing, and on-road insurance issuing is/was on hold pending further hearings. An initial round of title and license revocation already happened about 1 year ago. Hence why many rails and "manx" buggies went up for sale in texas and just across the boarder in Arkansas. Shot last forth of July I was in Fort Smith AR. One of the used car lots had 20+ buggies and rails all with Texas plates on them for sale. Most for under 4K.

Thanks for the info...I am aware of the law and I feel optimistic about the progress and outcome.
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
1st thing I would do is put that battery in a box, nothing like battery acid in you face in a crash or big bump!

Casey

for sure!
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
javashot wrote:

Although it is harder to steer, it is not difficult. I do have huge sexy arms BTW... ahaha
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

di11ard wrote:
javashot wrote:

I am not an expert on lowered beams... But I have learned a lot over the last couple years.

The goal to reduce bump steer is for the tie rods to be parallel to the ground. Obviously you are not in this category. One thing you can do is flip the tie rods to the underside of the spindle arm. Although a lowering spindle would be ideal, flipping the tie rod would be a good bandaid until new parts can be sourced.

What size wheels/tires are you running in the second pic? That setup looks killer.

These are 245/45/15...I am considering 295/50/15 in the rear. Thanks BTW. I will go ahead with the drop spindles.
javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

got a new MC to pump these discs out...

made some tubing

and I finally got the grinder out...looks over safety any day!

javashot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Dropped spindles finally arrived...I will put them on sometime in the next few days.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Street Rail - fitted Reply with quote

Wow, I can put a 5 gallon fuel can under my beam. Your roads must be better than mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: