Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Two tone paint line? New paint
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

My 84 Wolfsburg got paint last week. How picky should I be with the straightness and location of the line? The cream color seems to come down too far. I don’t have another picture yet, sorry. Single stage - just under 5k that included some minor body work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

Here is one that has the original paint.

JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

The cream should just be on the flat surface before it bends inward right? The brown should go up in the bend and meet the cream at the flat panel? That’s how I brought it to them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

while I certainly understand you gave them good hard earned money.

well it's yours now, it's really not a big deal and healthier to just enjoy it.
if you must consider it a flaw, consider it unique.

or you can get upset, angry, red in the face. holler at them, threaten legal repercussions if they don't spend another 10hours free labor or refund you $$ to the point they hate all people not just customers and close up shop. making them a place that won't do economy paint & body work on old cars for anyone any longer. this is an era of hate, contempt and self righteousness afterall
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

I agree with that. Also, twice he said he would call me before they painted it. I think that would have been a big difference. He is going back and touching up the seams and blobs around the windshield that I am thankful for. Then remembered the issue of the paint line, so I asked here.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

Here's a shot of my two tone for visual comparison.

I think your's looks fine. Is there a body panel missing behind the slider or am I just hard of seeing this morning.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:

I think your's looks fine. Is there a body panel missing behind the slider or am I just hard of seeing this morning.

You are right! It’s painted and in the van. It’s at the shop still. I should get a call to get it early next week or this week.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

It looks sick man! It's a custom twist/feature/improvement you put on your van compared to original
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
How picky should I be with the straightness and location of the line? The cream color seems to come down too far.

I think it's better they way it is now. The line is easier to paint and less noticeable if not exactly perfect. The shadow of the body line will hide the imperfections and the color is hidden by shadow anyway. I think it's an improvement over the color line at the top of the recess.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
JDub113 wrote:
How picky should I be with the straightness and location of the line? The cream color seems to come down too far.

I think it's better they way it is now. The line is easier to paint and less noticeable if not exactly perfect. The shadow of the body line will hide the imperfections and the color is hidden by shadow anyway. I think it's an improvement over the color line at the top of the recess.

I like your way of thinking. Thank you
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

Is it normal with a paint job to have little imperfections that are probably paint that didn’t adhere from dust particles? It that expected? There’s still paint there but they are tiny indentations.

I don’t know what to expect with it being my first paint job I’ve paid for.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

Are you referring to the front of the van? That's probably road pitting from rocks and debris kicked up by other cars. Typically imperfections show up as raised sections where lint and bugs are captured within the paint.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

It’s on the sides, so debris before or during paint. I’m not sure what the norm exception is. I need some advice for acceptance of the work and if I don’t need to argue with the guy, ya know? I thought it would be clean no imperfections and waves here or there, not expecting mirror finish - maybe that’s the 15k job.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

Take some photos of your areas of concern.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

I pick it up tomorrow.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
How picky should I be with the straightness and location of the line?

FWIW, I own an '83 with original paint that is two-tone Samos Beige on top and Assuan Brown on the bottom. I looked at the picture of your van and couldn't see an issue. I even clicked on it and zoomed in. Looks fine to me. The factory paint on my '83 does not have a straight or consistent line. The transition is basically midway on the angled part but gets closer to the top/outer at times and closer to the bottom/inner in other places.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

It might be orange peeling or fish eyes. I'll defer to the paint experts as to the causes.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It might be orange peeling. I'll defer to the paint experts as to the causes.

That was my thought too. Is it kind of a "fish eye" looking pattern?

My old Beetle had that in the new paint job the PO gave it before selling to me. That turned out to be a minor issue compared to the all the Bondo that the paint was hiding. I was just 15, what did I know?

That car still looked badass from 10 feet away and so does your van!
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

It’s a fish eye, but maybe say 5 on one panel randomly placed and they don’t show the primer underneath. And thank you!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Two tone paint line? New paint Reply with quote

Fish eyes typically happen from an impurity on the surface or even in the paint or reducer (thinner), and shouldn't affect longevity provided the surface was clean everywhere else.

You should be fine but it's worth pointing out, nicely.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: