Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fantastic fan install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a fantastic fan in the existing skylight or anywhere else on the pop top?
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Pretty simple, cut 14"x14" hole and place it in. If you wanna replace the existing vent you have to make a custom surround, still pretty easy.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

The PO of my van hacked a nasty oversized skylight vent into the westy roof. I lost it to some straight line winds. I made a patch for the hole, and installed a fan into the patch.

It was one of the best upgrades to the van. Having forced ventilation is amazing. Doing it again I would use a maxxair fan. They are overall better quality, and can be left open in the rain.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

The roof isn't thick enough on the poptop. Fantastic Fans are designed for motorhomes with insulated roofs. I put one in a Winnebago LeSharo that I used to have.

I contacted Fantastic Fan, for advice. They suggested using their shallowest unit, and using a foam spacer. The roof on the Lesharo is about one inch thick. I had to use two spacers.

Maybe you could have the spacer on the inside...?, and incorporate some kind of cool tricky light, since you will need juice for the fan.

If they made one for a thin roof like the poptop, it would make more sense.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
The roof isn't thick enough on the poptop. Fantastic Fans are designed for motorhomes with insulated roofs. I put one in a Winnebago LeSharo that I used to have.

I contacted Fantastic Fan, for advice. They suggested using their shallowest unit, and using a foam spacer. The roof on the Lesharo is about one inch thick. I had to use two spacers.

Maybe you could have the spacer on the inside...?, and incorporate some kind of cool tricky light, since you will need juice for the fan.

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit, both fantastic and maxxfans fit just fine on the westy top. Just look at all the tops fiberine sells, nearly everyone gets a fan or an AC unit and their not much thicker then the westy top. I install a handful every week. Once installed a fan on the side of a van 1/8" sheet metal and worked beautifully. OP if you wanna do this I can walk you thru the steps it's easy peasy couple hours of work.
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
Dana Champion wrote:

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit, both fantastic and maxxfans fit just fine on the westy top. Just look at all the tops fiberine sells, nearly everyone gets a fan or an AC unit and their not much thicker then the westy top. I install a handful every week. Once installed a fan on the side of a van 1/8" sheet metal and worked beautifully. OP if you wanna do this I can walk you thru the steps it's easy peasy couple hours of work.

Awesome! ... Any pictures of your installations? Like to see how they look!
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

I second the interest in some sort of walkthrough or guide or first-hand experience. Would like to install one of these on my tin top camper. Is there really a drastic quality difference Fantastic Fan vs. Maxxair? Around the same price point, lots of solid reviews for both...
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Most tin top vans have similar installations. Having had both, I would stick with the Maxxaire . It is usable in the rain, and has a much more robust open/close mechanism. It's remote option is much more refined than the Fantatstic fan.

Here is some reading comparing the two.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29491

Here is an install in a sprinter van. It will be pretty similar in a vanagon, you will need to cut the headliner, but that is pretty straight forward.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15278

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13145&page=6
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215

Last edited by MidwestDrifter on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Both fans work great, I favor the maxxfan for the following reasons

1. Although the it sits a bit higher, it looks nicer to me

2. It has two arms for closing the vent so it doesn't flutter at highway speeds

3. You can leave it up while it's raining

4. You can drive with it up and running

5. They just updated it and the new remote is a lot nicer

Although the maxx has 10 speeds the highest setting is equal to the highest #3 setting on the fantastic.

Both fans have the same 14"x14" footprint both install with 16 screws that are provided. I normally toss those and use my own but the ones it comes with work o.k.

Other things you'll want to have on hand

1. Pre upholstered spacer made from 2"x2" lumber is sufficient *hint (cut 4 pcs. @ 14.5" arrange so they fit the 14" opening, glue, staple, upholster)
2. Plumbers putty or eternabond
3. Split loom or other wiring cover for routing your wires to a power source
4. Self leveling lap sealant I prefer grey because the white turns brown and gross in no time.
5. Table saw without safety guard or air saw to cut the trim cover to size
6. Enough wire (I use bonded 16/2) to route to a power source. Use an inline fuse in not wiring to a fuse block. 5a will do the job.

Let me know if y'all have any questions.
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
Both fans work great, I favor the maxxfan for the following reasons

1. Although the it sits a bit higher, it looks nicer to me

2. It has two arms for closing the vent so it doesn't flutter at highway speeds

3. You can leave it up while it's raining

4. You can drive with it up and running

5. They just updated it and the new remote is a lot nicer

Although the maxx has 10 speeds the highest setting is equal to the highest #3 setting on the fantastic.

Both fans have the same 14"x14" footprint both install with 16 screws that are provided. I normally toss those and use my own but the ones it comes with work o.k.

Other things you'll want to have on hand

1. Pre upholstered spacer made from 2"x2" lumber is sufficient *hint (cut 4 pcs. @ 14.5" arrange so they fit the 14" opening, glue, staple, upholster)
2. Plumbers putty or eternabond
3. Split loom or other wiring cover for routing your wires to a power source
4. Self leveling lap sealant I prefer grey because the white turns brown and gross in no time.
5. Table saw without safety guard or air saw to cut the trim cover to size
6. Enough wire (I use bonded 16/2) to route to a power source. Use an inline fuse in not wiring to a fuse block. 5a will do the job.

Let me know if y'all have any questions.

Thank you mucho, Birdcage. Sounds really straightforward. Do you happen to have any pics lying around of what the finished install should look like on a Vanagon? Just curious. Sure I could figure it out without (the links Midwest posted require registration with that forum).
Stevekirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

So reading this old post I really didn’t see where a Maxxair roof fan was installed on a westy.
If installed where the skylight would go you would somehow have to deal with the size not being 14x14 and the drain channels
Anyone done this
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

See my post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8796997#8796997

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

It seems like all that is needed to make this a clean install is an adapter plate for the exterior, to fill the drain channel, and another for the inside to increase thickness. Surely one of your 3d printer friends could do this?

Outside of that it's just a couple of cuts and some wiring...

Wish I had a 3d printer and the know how.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

What about some brackets to hold a giant 9 inch pc fan like this one and use the original westy roof vent?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345008

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

Did google and found this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539301&view=previous

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

I vent fan will only be affective when it is in a sealed opening. Just installing an open fan in the skylight would not pull air through the van unless the rest of the opening was sealed.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

We need a clean mod adapter of sorts for this upgrade. Lets face it our skylights are basically pathetic. A maxxair or fantastic fan are huge improvements, presuming you have the power source. I just did a week in the canadian badlands and was pretty hot in the van even at 11oclock at night. I have a 12v fan but it doesnt quite cut it. Having a way to vent hot air forcefully through the skylight is key. I am all ears on this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

PDXWESTY has shared good knowledge on air exchange in other threads.

I’ll say that a FantasticFan moves a lot of air through my van and makes a noticeable difference in van comfort by exchanging stale van air with fresh evening air from outside the van.

My frugal dad used a whole house fan to replace stale Illinois afternoon heated air with cool evening air in the house. On some days that influx of cool evening air was all that was needed, on other days it was too hot outside and the central a/c was the only solution.

Likewise in a van, some days a high-volume air exchange provided by a FantasticFan or Maxx fan is perfect. It won’t replace a/c in some conditions but in some places where daytime temps are in the 80s/90s during the day and drop to the 60s at night it accelerates temp drops in the van. It’s also great for circulating air in the van in moist PNW conditions. In short, a high volume exhaust fan is perfect for the PNW, west and SW but may be less effective in the humid Midwest/NE/South where a/c may be the best solution.

Airflow like this (FantasticFan installed in NAHT - apologies that this install doesn’t address the pop-top issue, I just want to confirm that a good exhaust fan helps) can improve comfort levels inside a van:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

In my parents 5th wheel toy hauler they had a fantastic fan above the kitchen area and were not using it. I asked why didn't they use it and they responded they didn't realize it was there Rolling Eyes. It is automatic and it has a switch on the wall that controls the dome/fan.

I'd pay good money to have this in my van as I could see this being game changer. I don't have a moon roof - so I could simply cut out 14x14 and install this? I just question if it would hit my future roof rack.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: fantastic fan install Reply with quote

I'd also buy a clean adapter for putting a fantastic or other dedicated roof fan in. Honestly, I'm surprised this doesn't already exist.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: