Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 181, 182, 183 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Just put some Hankook RA08's on the bus, and you guys were not lying about proper tires, I no longer feel like I might tip over when turning. Haven't went too far of a distance yet, but on a short trip for a drink yesterday there was a noticeable difference. Thanks for all the input on this thread!
Radrick123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I'm sort of confused here.

I got my Bay Window a few years ago and never really paid attention to the tires until now (when I need to change them)

So apparently I have 15" tires? Michelin Defender P205/70R15 see photo. Can anyone confirm that I indeed need 15" tires?

Dumb question but I assume this means that the original owner swapped out the original 14" rims for 15"?

My next question... does Hankook make suitable 15" tires? Or would you recommend I replace these with a set of the same Defenders?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Judging from the chrome visible in the pic (and the fact that thye are 15 inch wheels), yes, the PO swapped rims at some point.

(Unless, I guess, you have an early Bay and someone swapped on 15 inch Split rims, then they could be factory rims, though still not factory for a Bay.)

I wouldn't recommend replacing your tires with the exact same model, as I can see the size starts with a "P" which generally means "Passenger" and you want a heavy load or light truck type tire.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Radrick123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks. That makes my selection process somewhat more difficult. Should I get the recommended tires for the Vanagon then?

Thing is that my bus in storage about 2 hours away and I would like to order the tires. Can I tell from the specs on these Michelins which type of commercial-grade replacements I need? Or do I need to actually get to the bus and make some measurements to be sure they fit on the rim and don't contact the body?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Vanagons also had 14 inch tires stock...

Smile

Assuming you didn't have any rubbing issues or aything like that, you should be able to search for LT (light truck) tires of the same size on tirerack.com or a similar site for options.

If you don't find much, you could also try searching for something a little taller or shorter, or narrower or wider and see what LT options there are.

Otherwise, it'll probably mean a lot of digging through this thread to find recommendations on 15 inch tire sizes that fit a Bus! Good luck!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

You definitely have 15" rims. Is your speedometer accurate? The sidewalls on those tires might be a hair tall. Search for 'tire size comparison' and you'll find a whole bunch of calculators and visualizers that help see the difference between 2 tire size choices.

For selecting tires, it's best to keep the circumference close to stock (keeps speedo, odo, transmission and engine happier, though the latter both have wider ranges of possibility). As VWWestyman mentions, it's good to stick with the proper load rating too. This means either a light truck (LT) or commercial (C) tire. I'm up a rim size at 16" but chose Michelin Defender LTX tires in 215/55R16 XL -- the LTX model is meant for larger, heavier vehicles, confirmed by the XL at the end - more reinforcing. This tire is made differently than your current Defender model. It's not as reinforced as a commercial tire, but they're fantastic on our 77 Westy even when fully loaded for long camping trips.

There's a 15" size that is compatible too: Michelin Defender LTX 205/65R15 99 XL
https://www.michelin.ca/CA/en/tires/products/defender-ltx-m-s.html#

Might be worth checking out, assuming you don't do hard core offroad.

Good luck!

Radrick123 wrote:
I'm sort of confused here.

I got my Bay Window a few years ago and never really paid attention to the tires until now (when I need to change them)

So apparently I have 15" tires? Michelin Defender P205/70R15 see photo. Can anyone confirm that I indeed need 15" tires?

Dumb question but I assume this means that the original owner swapped out the original 14" rims for 15"?

My next question... does Hankook make suitable 15" tires? Or would you recommend I replace these with a set of the same Defenders?

orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I recently bought and installed a set of Hankook vantra tires. Closest thing to RO8 tires I guess. Available prime and shipped to my door. $80 each.
http://a.co/h5Caoug
Radrick123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks all. I guess I’m still wondering - which specs will tell me if the tire will fit my vehicle? So that I don’t order them and find out they don’t fit the rim or body clearance. Like I said I don’t have the vehicle nearby
Radrick123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
You definitely have 15" rims. Is your speedometer accurate? The sidewalls on those tires might be a hair tall. Search for 'tire size comparison' and you'll find a whole bunch of calculators and visualizers that help see the difference between 2 tire size choices.

For selecting tires, it's best to keep the circumference close to stock (keeps speedo, odo, transmission and engine happier, though the latter both have wider ranges of possibility). As VWWestyman mentions, it's good to stick with the proper load rating too. This means either a light truck (LT) or commercial (C) tire. I'm up a rim size at 16" but chose Michelin Defender LTX tires in 215/55R16 XL -- the LTX model is meant for larger, heavier vehicles, confirmed by the XL at the end - more reinforcing. This tire is made differently than your current Defender model. It's not as reinforced as a commercial tire, but they're fantastic on our 77 Westy even when fully loaded for long camping trips.

There's a 15" size that is compatible too: Michelin Defender LTX 205/65R15 99 XL
https://www.michelin.ca/CA/en/tires/products/defender-ltx-m-s.html#

Might be worth checking out, assuming you don't do hard core offroad.

Good luck!

Let me see if I got this right..

My current tires are P205/70R15

That means 205 mm width with a sidewall ratio of 70%, right?

So if I get LTX 205/65R15 99 XL then the sidewall ratio is only 65% (smaller than my current ones) which means they will definitely fit, right?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

5% smaller

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Radrick123 wrote:

Let me see if I got this right..

My current tires are P205/70R15

That means 205 mm width with a sidewall ratio of 70%, right?

So if I get LTX 205/65R15 99 XL then the sidewall ratio is only 65% (smaller than my current ones) which means they will definitely fit, right?

In short, yes, they'd fit. More info:

What will fit on a rim is mainly determined by rim diameter (15"). That's 100% your first filter. You can't fit an r14 or r16 tire on your rims period. Second, look at tread width - 205mm. This is important for 2 reasons: whether the tire is too narrow or wide for your rim, and will it fit in your wheel wells without running anything. The latter is AOK as you're running them now and there are folks like me with wider tires with no rub (215). Without going into too much detail, tires fit a range of rim widths, which you can see on their specs page. Without checking, sorry, I'll guess 5-7.5" or similar. This influences the shape of the tire at the road. Stay within the spec. Lastly, the sidewall ratio (yes, currently 70%) let's you know how tall the tire is and this determine the circumference. The rule of thumb I've read is to stay +-2% on circumference. But, I think you're running taller than stock this currently. I could be wrong. Have you verified your speed via GPS or phone? The tire size comparison calculators usually provide an estimate for change in indicated speed - ie speedo will say 50mph, actual will be 52mph.
daninvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

hi all,

I'm debating two tires for my 71 Westy. I currently have 2 BFGs LT on the back and 2 Grabbers on the front (the PO had a blowout on a BFG and couldn't get another one so they opted for the grabbers up front)

I'm not enjoying the road noise and would like a little less aggressive tire.

I can get the Hankook RA08 on amazon or some Continental Van Cs4 both in a 185r14.

any thoughts? the Hankooks i'd have to go south of the border and even with exchange id save about 300 bucks give or take.

which are better tires? the Conti's are C range and the Hankooks D.

thoughts?

Thanks all!!

Dan
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I (and a lot of others) have the Hankooks and they are fine. That being said, I'm really looking at the Goodyear Wranglers available in a 195 now, but haven't seemed to see anyone else running them..

The RA08 is a solid tire, great on the highway, quiet, and inexpensive.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

daninvan wrote:
hi all,

I'm debating two tires for my 71 Westy. I currently have 2 BFGs LT on the back and 2 Grabbers on the front (the PO had a blowout on a BFG and couldn't get another one so they opted for the grabbers up front)

I can get the Hankook RA08 on amazon or some Continental Van Cs4 both in a 185r14.

any thoughts? the Hankooks i'd have to go south of the border and even with exchange id save about 300 bucks give or take.

thoughts?

Thanks all!!

Dan

Can’t go wrong with the Hankooks. I’ve had both the RA08 and the RA18, both in 195r14c and both great tires. Both on and off road.
’65 Deluxe Build
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

[quote="Ride_On"]
Radrick123 wrote:

"... Second, look at tread width - 205mm...

Small correction: that 205mm is "Section Width", the measurement of the side bulge-to-opposite side bulge when mounted on a some 'ideal' rim width and inflated to a specific pressure. The actual Tread Width measurement is sometimes specified in the listings provided by tire manufacturers or sellers, but it's not part of the size designation shown on a tire's sidewall.

The Tread Width for a given size of tire varies greatly from one manufacturer to another, and frequently, even among different models of tires from the same manufacturer.
68 Westy
(+ others)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

daninvan wrote:
hi all,

thoughts?

Thanks all!!

Dan

I have Grabbers on my '78 and RA08s on my '73.

I cannot percieve any big increase in tire noise in the '78 with the Grabbers. Prior to the Grabbers, I had the wheels and tires in my avatar pic (New Beetle Rims and a highway-oriented tire) and when I switched to the stock rims and Grabbers, I also didn't notice any change in tire noise.

Now, being a Westy with a diesel motor, there is a whole lot of other noise that may be covering up any tire noise on the highways.

But all that to say, if noise reduction is your main goal, you may be a little disappointed in the outcome. Certainly if your goal is more stock tires and less aggressive looks then that is a whole different story.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
daninvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
daninvan wrote:
hi all,

thoughts?

Thanks all!!

Dan

I have Grabbers on my '78 and RA08s on my '73.

I cannot percieve any big increase in tire noise in the '78 with the Grabbers. Prior to the Grabbers, I had the wheels and tires in my avatar pic (New Beetle Rims and a highway-oriented tire) and when I switched to the stock rims and Grabbers, I also didn't notice any change in tire noise.

Now, being a Westy with a diesel motor, there is a whole lot of other noise that may be covering up any tire noise on the highways.

But all that to say, if noise reduction is your main goal, you may be a little disappointed in the outcome. Certainly if your goal is more stock tires and less aggressive looks then that is a whole different story.

Thanks for the input! I can't say the grabbers are super noisy, but the BFGs certainly are. I do like the look of the grabbers and the added clearance, they do rub in the front wheel wells though..

I've ordered the Hankooks, and anyone who has the tires only has good things to say. And the price was great too (especially for me with the Exchange to CAD) $620 with free shipping and only 5 bucks a tire at the Parcel Pick up shop across the border in WA.

will update after i've driven a while on them.

Dan
TheLoren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Will the general grabbers 27x8.5r14 be too wide for for a 1970 VW bus? Ratwell says that the 68 to 70 rims are only 5 and not 5 1/2 inch wide rims
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TheLoren wrote:
Will the general grabbers 27x8.5r14 be too wide for for a 1970 VW bus? Ratwell says that the 68 to 70 rims are only 5 and not 5 1/2 inch wide rims

They will fit just fine.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
I (and a lot of others) have the Hankooks and they are fine. That being said, I'm really looking at the Goodyear Wranglers available in a 195 now, but haven't seemed to see anyone else running them..

The RA08 is a solid tire, great on the highway, quiet, and inexpensive.

MSRP of $233 a tire for the Wrangler ATs in 195/75r14 - ouch!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 181, 182, 183 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 182 of 198

Jump to: