Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

backup light switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: backup light switch Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where the backup light switch is located on a 73 beetle standard with manual transmission?
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

It is up by the nose cone on the transmission on the right side looking from the back.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

Transmission.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

I just replaced the metal crush/sealing gasket under my reverse switch on my 1970 last month. Like allenw posted above for location.

I used a 22mm box wrench to R&R mine; I jacked up the front of the VW, essentially no gear oil came out.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

Some aftermarket ones are longer and rather difficult to get out.

Hella (OE) left and aftermarket right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

Starbucket Gearbox if you prefer.
ricks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

Thanks all, I was looking around the shifter Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Horance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: backup light switch plus one Reply with quote

Ok this may be a stupid question i know the switch that is covered in oil (red arrow) Is the reverse switch but wha is the other one wire switch (blue arrow)?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

seat belt warning light
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
seat belt warning light

How does the seat belt switch on tranny work? My Bug is so old it didnt even come new with seat belts, much less a warning light. Why is the seat belt switch integrated with the gear box?

Bug On, Belted of Course!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Horance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
seat belt warning light

is it like a Neutral safety switch in line with the seat belt switch?
aww crap now i have to get a new nose for my freshly built tranny.

I assume I can just ground it and i will be able to start it when i put it all back together..
Horance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: backup light switch Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

How does the seat belt switch on tranny work? My Bug is so old it didnt even come new with seat belts, much less a warning light. Why is the seat belt switch integrated with the gear box?

Bug On, Belted of Course!

Sorry BlueBus, i should have said this is a 73' std beetle. it has a fasten seat-belt light on the dash so this does not surprise me. hell even the Ohio plates from 73 say "fasten your seat belt"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: