Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Gen 4
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

So I purchased a Gen 4 EFI system Mark at CB Performance has been great with the process. Now for the big question, if I wanted to learn how or what the software was capable of where would I get material such as a manual or is there a book I could purchase for EFI tuning?
I have always tried to be knowledgeable on anything that might get me stuck in the middle of nowhere.
I even purchased a laptop to keep with the car and a solar charger if needed.

I have read for days the post related about the Gen 4 from Pat that he posted and totally understand EFI is not plug and play. Fair enough I have been told.
So now I want to get educated as if this works I have 3 more vw’s that would be b*tch’in to convert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

following this to learn also
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

I have read that Megasquirt has a complete manual but it might only be for there software. I assume that the abbreviations for various sensors and injector settings might be the same regardless of manufacture? I guess I’m Sh*t out of luck for a EFI Tuners for dummies book?
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Well I know that here and over on the shoptalk forums there are several good threads about converting to EFI and the process of tuning. Most of the principals will be the same no matter what software you use. The tables and such from MS may look different than yours but the ideas behind the tuning will be similar.

To get started I would probably try to get a stock-ish "distributor curve" aka have your spark timing map so it has similar advance at the same rpm. Then get fuel in close to probably *edit* (12:1 was from memory as somewhere between 12-13 being a safe spot to start, go by the post below) for a base setup that you can then fine tune from.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though as I've only done this once and am not very experienced. Just have enough experience to fool around and break stuff probably Laughing I do have a mostly running squareback on megasquirt fuel injection and spark though.
Hopefully some others will chime in with maybe some more technical info.

-Derek

Last edited by nogoodwithusernames on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
The tables and such from MS may look different than yours but the ideas behind the tuning will be similar.

While the options in Tuner Studio may be very different from whatever software the CB unit uses, this is advice enough to give you a good tune. Check out ShopTalkForums and work out a base map to get you started.

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
Then get fuel in close to probably 12:1 for a base setup that you can then fine tune from.

Ehh, I would do a little research on this.
From the hours of time I spent figuring out how to tune my bug, I came up with the following:
~12.75:1 @ WOT (assuming NA)
~13.5:1 @ Idle (will vary to get stable idle)
~16:1 @ cruise areas

A good Wideband setup is required for this to work.

Don't take anything to the bank on this, but the numbers above will get you started and help provide guidelines to get a solid tune.

One question for you...why didn't you go Megasquirt?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

I got home from work preformed some checks, but still not even sure how to change the air fuel mixture. I checked the timing and adjusted it to match the software but the timing doesn’t seem right as far as a timing curve.
The only reason I was able to do what I did so far is a YouTube video link Mark at CB sent me so I could just get the engine running.
It will barely idle and dies out under fast throttle, it’s a mess!
But this is part of the fun, as a young man I would get pissed but as I have gotten older I just enjoy the journey and go with it.
It’s life’s learning curve.
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

I just bought one too,

i'm planning a turbo efi conversion on my manx this winter!

in have a topic on shoptalkforums. go take a look there and say hi, lots of guys who know efi stuff.

and basicly ther're all the same, just another layout!
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Thank you very much I will:
This engine is a stock 1600 all forged lower end all Scat, late model EFI block
With CB EFI Gen 4 and a turbo. I removed the turbo stuff and caped the oil return for the turbo to break it in on the stand.
Bergmann shroud and The Dub Shop crank trigger
With my own crank trigger bracket as there’s didn’t fit without grinding into the sensor and a C-35 cam from Scatvw with straight cut gears. Plus adjustable alum pushrod tubes 1 to 1 forged rockers new big valve heads with high rev springs.
I’m hoping to push it with the boost but I have to just get it to run with the EFI first. I think all in I have $6000 in just the new engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Didn't Mark send you a base tune as a starting point?

Read the MegaSquirt stuff. While the software is different, its also the same in how it works.
You have an AFR table that the "brain" is looking at and trying to alter its fuel table to target what you put in the AFR table. The catch is..... it can only correct so much before you must go in and actually change the fuel table. Your VE table will tell you where its adding fuel and taking fuel away.

Make any sense? What you have is two sets of parameters: the AFR table and the fuel table. Then..... the VE table is adjusting the fuel supply to try and target your AFR table.

All this being said, IF you have the learn features functional.
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

I never received anything if he did send it. I’m just reading and waiting to speak to Mark at CB Performance. So I’m still just where I started.
Engine starts but barely, very rich, if you hit the throttle it bogs. Doesn’t idle till after a warm up, it will not hold a constant idle it’s everywhere.
So basically a mess.
But I did get the cam sync to work after help from Mark at CB so the cam sync should be pointing toward the oil sensor area for a baseline then if you select option for cam sync 1 and 1 for cam Hall.
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

But I do have a appointment to speak with Mark and I’m very excited!
It would be incredible to see this come together so I can start re installing all the turbo items.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

compositecrafters wrote:
But I did get the cam sync to work after help from Mark at CB so the cam sync should be pointing toward the oil sensor area for a baseline then if you select option for cam sync 1 and 1 for cam Hall.

How do you point the cam sync towards the oil sensor, when the sync is round Confused
Generally curious, as I plan on installing my CB cam sync soon.

Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Inside the cam sync is a magnet, so the top cover comes off and it needs to be timed correctly or it doesn’t know where it’s at.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

compositecrafters wrote:
Inside the cam sync is a magnet, so the top cover comes off and it needs to be timed correctly or it doesn’t know where it’s at.

Ah, so the magnet should be pointed in the general direction of the oil pressure sensor?

Shocked

compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Correct or you could do the calculations like I did without a degree wheel.
Bergmann pulleys have limited marks so finding 20 degrees after #2 cylinder Bottom Dead Center.
I would have preferred for someone to tell me start with it pointing toward oil sender!
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

So just curious does anyone know how to change the air/fuel mixture on a Gen 4 system ?
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

So just curious does anyone know how to change the air/fuel mixture on a Gen 4 system ?
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Ok so it looks like there aren’t many out there running CB’s Gen 4 or ????
It works so well there is no need to be on a forum.
I hope this help someone with there setup, so was able to connect with Mark at CB Performance today and was able to install software so he could remotely veiw and adjust my EFI and found out that it’s best to have it installed in the car and tested under a load.
My setup was on engine test stand with a completely new engine that was broke in on stand to work out any issues first.
My biggest issue is that it would not start very well, without holding the thottle open. So since I don’t have a air idle control unit, I need to manual hold the thottle for about 30sec every time I start the car. I did not know this. I guess this is common knowledge.
I also found out that during my break in period to have everything turbo related installed, I was afraid that during break in the turbo would kick in and make it hard to hold 3000rpm
Found out without a load the turbo will not kick in, another common knowledge.
Also found out that since I didn’t have the turbo installed the injectors where install thinking the turbo would indeed be installed.
So where am I with this system, until I get everything installed and road ready there isn’t much that can be done.
Once I am able to run the car and make several passes, then Mark can adjust my system to get it purring perfect.
I would like to thank Mark at CB he is very pleasant and I know it can be hard to work with newbies but he was Great.
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Hi.

I didnt know that about the cold start and idle. I also didnt get the idle air control unit.

I have been emailing with mark also, he's a nice guy but it sometimes takes a few days to get a reply.

I will update my topic on the shoptalk forums when i start building my efi setup with the gen4.
The weather is to nice now to take the engine appart and start goofing in the garage.

Keep informing us. Not everyone who reads always replies...
compositecrafters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Gen 4 Reply with quote

Has anyone ever compared the mileage before and after using a EFI system?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: