Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Hi All - I'm in the process of putting in the GW 1.5" lift springs and I'm having a difficult time compressing them enough to get them in. I'm using the fairly common $35 +- 2 piece compression tool that clamps on two sides (each side separate). Once the springs are compressed almost enough to get them in, the clamps screws interfere and hit either on top or bottom (I've tried it a few different ways). Aside from the scary super compressed springs that feel like they are going to burst at any minute, I don't see a way to get the dang spring in. I've taken the Sway Bar End Link out for more space to work, which helped, but didn't solve the issue of the compression tool hitting the upper shock housing or the lower control arm. If anyone has dealt with this and has a suggestion on how to do it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

If a screw is getting in the way see if cutting it will help. You just need them long enough to get started on the spring. It's a tight fit regardless.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

I have put on (and taken off after they sagged out) 3 separate sets of the 1-1/2" lift springs.

It can be done, you just have to experiment with different placements of the screws.

I don't know how else to tell you, but don't try to put the compressors exactly opposite of each other.
Off by maybe 5 degrees.

I didn't have to cut anything, btw.

Also, did you back off the nut for the radius rod?

That is necessary to get maximum droop of the LCA.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Here's the type spring compressor I use. I think I paid around $100 for mine

https://shop.ktcautotools.com/products/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-bmw-toyota-honda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cookbook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

I bought my compressor from amazon, which is I think the same thing tjet recommended, and it worked just fine. Much easier to get compression than the two piece version. Also, this video helped me tremendously. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irivSB669Ao. Watching someone else do it first always helps.

Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Interchangable-Sp...compressor
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Yep. Those c clamp compressors would make it a lot easier, but I hated the idea of paying 100 for what I thought would be a one-time use tool, especially when the screw-type were free loaner tools available at most any flaps.
gonna see life my way

drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

+1000 for the C-type spring compressor suggestions. If a van is in your long term future, I recommend investing the money.

I to had the same issue as you with the traditional 2 piece kit and interference with the top spring perch.

I have also had the unfortunate experience of slightly biased 2-piece compressors (not directly opposite) catastrophically sliding to 1 side which bowed the spring out, released it from the compressors, and shot me in the face, splitting my lower lip. I'm very lucky to not have lost teeth, or worse.

So, yes I may be more sensitive than others to this issue, but the C-type units feel much more stable and make the vanagon spring work very easy.
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a Syncro. I finally bought these from NAPA, they worked great, never felt unsafe when using them.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769092
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I did get it to work finally. Probably the toughest, scariest job on the 85 so far. I'm going to get the one piece C clamp type compressor that tjet and cookbook used for the other side. Wish me luck!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

I noticed in that YouTube video posted above that it looks like they released the spring tension before putting in the shock.

That would be scary.
Don't do that.

Put in the shock so that it can't pop out of there.
gonna see life my way

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Is that Steve from blue clues in that video with the green striped shirt? And I agree Steve should have installed shock. Then I would have put jack under trailing arm too and matched the compression of spring, remove compressors, then remove jack.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Shouldn’t need a compressor. Floor or bottle jack and take off the upper ball join and the radius rod, remove the lower three bolts and drop it down fully. Install spring loose, and then install shock, then compress it from the bottom, bolt in the shock and upper ball joint and then the three bolts and radius rod. Tie rod may have to come off too. Easy enough with out a compressor.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Quote:
Shouldn’t need a compressor.

yup... just lift high enough to remove, install and jack it up with a bottle jack...
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

I've never done a Vanagon, but the 'no compressor' route is what I've used before as well. Those compressors scare me. That's an incredible amount of energy. I've even used a bottle jack pressing DOWN from the frame or floor on the suspension on some spring projects to get that last inch or two of space for a fully uncompressed spring...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:

yup... just lift high enough to remove, install and jack it up with a bottle jack...

ABSOLUTELY need a compressor for this, unless you guys have reeealy strong fingers.
gonna see life my way

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

levi wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:

ABSOLUTELY need a compressor for this, unless you guys have reeealy strong fingers.

Are you saying due to it being the 1.5” lift springs the free height of the springs is more and requires a bit of compression to slide in? I just did the moog 5660 springs and didn’t use a compressor for the fronts.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Yes. I'm going to guesstimate their standing free-height at about 3" too tall to fit in before compression.
gonna see life my way

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Yes. I'm going to guesstimate their standing free-height at about 3" too tall to fit in before compression.

That’s fair I’d say.

What about nearly completely removing the LCA, and doing the jack, LCA, spring, then lifting gently to line up one bolt at the furthest onboard part of the LCA then finishing by lifting it as normal to connect upper BJ, and the knucle assembly?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressing GW 1.5" Front Lift Springs - HELP! Reply with quote

Buddy.
Your visualization capabilities far exceed my ability to keep up.
Cool
gonna see life my way

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: