Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lube it up good and jam it in with a dull putty knife, stretching it sometimes helps too as it makes it thinner when stretched.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Daddy. I have read lots on it but thought maybe it had to slide on...its such a PITA.
I have read that you can put it on the glass first but can't figure out how thats going to help with getting it in those grooves..
I will keep working it.

cheers
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Daddy. I have read lots on it but thought maybe it had to slide on...its such a PITA.
I have read that you can put it on the glass first but can't figure out how thats going to help with getting it in those grooves..
I will keep working it.

cheers
ser123ser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished three of these rubber installs.... They are such a pain in the neck that I have seen others on this sight say just leave the old ones in and move on.

I did not have th choice, because mine were so baked by the desert so ca heat that they bled black down the side of my van.

It's the long side flat striker portion that will kill you. Set all the rest of the surrounding rubber and take two small screw drivers and set set one side and push the other side in with the screw driver. Don't force it just keep pushing it in bit by bit.

I bought mine from Wolfsburg and the quality was poor. The last one was a little long and after I got to the end of pushing I cut the top and trimmed out 1/2 inch and pushed it in. Better to cut at the top than the bottom because it will keep out the water.

It took me several hours because I had to keep walking away for breaks. Made me want to start drinking again......

Obviously the factory did not do it this way, but everything is non factory and different now. This is what we have to work with.

Good luck, if you come up with a better way please post...

Steve
Perris ca
Outstanding in my field.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floo420 wrote:
Hello all
This is something that I am working on but I am having a serious issue with getting the seal on the frame. On the long end it has to go under the lip and also under the other side. What am I missing? is it supposed to slide on?
I took the pop rivets out so that the frame is two pieces but can not seem to get it on the long side.
Any help is appreciated.
thanks
Shawn

I didn't have to take te frame apart. It's a bear and I took lots of breaks. Use some sort of plastic spatula to help aid in ticking the one edge.
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that you had issues with the Wolfsberg West seal. That is what I am using and it appears to be at least .5" too long. I can see that this is not going to be easy.
Thanks for the note at least I know I will not be the only one who has struggled.
ser123ser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay with it, take the night off come back the next day. Your fingers are going to hurt.

When you get to the end and make the cut, use a new knife and take out a little at a time so it is just a tad long and then shove it into the final corner.

Sucks I know.......

I complained to wolfs burg and they said just bring it back and we will give you a new one......nice policy....ARE YOU FLYING KIDDING ME.... I ant doing this Chinese torture again....never again

I did my front door scrapers and they were easy compare to this exercise.

Steve
Perris ca
Outstanding in my field
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced the seals on my vent windows. The first one was hard until I realized I needed to use something like WD40 to lube the seal. I set the corners and slipped the rest into place. There seemed to be some excess but when I stuffed it into the frame, it all fit just fine. No cutting was needed. I got my seals from WW.

After I installed them in the bus I had a bit of a leak. A search found a post that talked about fluffing the grooves at the bottom to improve the seal. Solved my problem.
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! Reply with quote

Bentley says the rear vent window can be removed & re-installed with the large window still in place. Old rotted vent window with rotted out frame came out very easily after the hidden tabs were located & bent to release the window. I tried for about an hour to install the replacement window that has the original rubber on it still in great condition, however the rubber wasn't co-operating. Kept coming off the lip on the window frame. Walked away for the night before I got too frustrated. Has anyone successfully installed the rear vent window with the large window in place??
'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! Reply with quote

I don't see how it would be possible seeing that you have to line up the frame with the slots in the window channel, unless you bend the front tabs back and try and "swing" the window in.

I have never tried so I can't really offer any help.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! Reply with quote

Yes, the Bentley procedure says to bend the front tabs back temporarily, I've done it and it does work. The only issue I can imagine MrVW is having is he hasn't got the upper and lower tabs through the slots so they are on the inside of the pinchweld.
Of course any job like this goes better when a large helper is outside leaning on the window as you pull the cord out of the rubber.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! Reply with quote

My son & I were able to install the vent window without removing the larger window. Click Link to my bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8002393#8002393
'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

Getting the seal on was relatively straight forward as :
* Start at the 90 degree corners make sure you push the seal back in with a blunt piece of plastic/wood ( Lube with spay helps a lot other wise it is a couple of hours of work)
* One you got both corners in - check make sure the that there is no sag / excess rubber ( which means the corners did not go in all the way)
* Then work with a small screw drive and push the rubber into the channel

* Once the straight edge is done the rest of it was straight forward - just pull the rubber over the metal frame all around .

It took about 20 minutes in all to get the seal on.

Open question :
* One the seal is on the metal frame : Any trips on how to slid the glass pane in ? I am having a a tough time figuring out how to get the the pivots into the the metal frame
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

Did not get nay response - ( Looks like a topic few have tackled)

The process to get the seal on was
* Drill out the 2 rivets ( one on each corner)
* Loosely weave the seal over the C frame , get the glass pane seated in the pivot holes
* slide the seal into the straight edge
* Now Rivet the frame back together

The whole process should take about 30 min's if I had to do it again
gsun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

you are saying you can't get the glass with the pivots installed unless you drill out the rivets first? I can't get the glass in so this is the procedure? Took forever to get the seals on (I stopped at two before trying the glass) and now can't get the glass in.
75bus75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

I did the same thing the first time around - Got the seal in, could not get the glass with the pivots in.

Once you drill out the rivets - it is a 20 min easy job.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

75bus75 wrote:
I did the same thing the first time around - Got the seal in, could not get the glass with the pivots in.

I have a new WW rear vent window plus a separate new WW seal. I'm not seeing how to install the seal around the posts unless I either A. cut one side of the seal B. drill out one of the rivets on the vertical part of the outer frame in order to remove the window part and slide the posts into the holes in the seal.

Is there a better way? Or do I really have to drill out rivets on a brand new window.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
75bus75 wrote:

I have a new WW rear vent window plus a separate new WW seal. I'm not seeing how to install the seal around the posts unless I either A. cut one side of the seal B. drill out one of the rivets on the vertical part of the outer frame in order to remove the window part and slide the posts into the holes in the seal.

Is there a better way? Or do I really have to drill out rivets on a brand new window.

Welcome!
The window should come out of the frame by removing the friction clamp and pushing the top pivot into the larger part of the keyhole it's in, then it can drop and tilt a little to lift out of the bottom. After the rubber is on reverse the procedure, you'll have to push it down in the frame (compressing the rubber) to get the top pivot back in.

Слава Україні!
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Install rear vent window HELP! FAQ Reply with quote

Another option is to eliminate that vent wing using a full length window from the opposite side with the full length seal. Works like a charm!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: