Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW transmission carrier question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Samba folks, just received a replacement transmission carrier from Wolfsburg West to be used as I replace my solid mounts. The hole edges for the large bolts are not flat. They have an uneven raised lip on the side the bolt head will be at from when they punched or drilled the hole during manufacturing. See below.
Do I need to grind them down or not worry about it, just torque the bolts to spec once installed? I don't think I have washers now, looks like a wave washers is to be used (also sold by WW)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,
James
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

If I were you, I might grind that down . . . or clean it up with a countersink.
Judging by the appearance of the resistance welds, it looks like it is made from fairly soft steel.
You WILL use the "wave" lock washers.

Personally, I'd be a little pissed at WW if they sent that to me!
It will probably work fine, BUT, it obviously is not the one shown on their website!
I might be wrong, but that sure looks like a Latest Rage item . . . like this for 33% less . . . http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-301-255-A

Last time I ordered from WW I received a part (sunvisor clips) in a package that had the EMPI sticker covered up . . . does not bode well for WW's reputation as far as I'm concerned!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
If I were you, I might grind that down . . .

I would too, after I contacted Wolfsburg West and complained.

57BLITZ wrote:
Personally, I'd be a little pissed at WW if they sent that to me! . does not bode well for WW's reputation as far as I'm concerned!

I'd be a BIG BIT pi$$ed !!!!

Anyway, be sure to thread those big bolts in several full turns by hand, do NOT crossthread !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Personally, I would throw it in the trash (or send it back) and hit up theSamba classifieds. I would search all the "Parts" sections for either "carrier" or "rear mount" and buy a real VW one for around $25.

Those are bolts that best never come loose, and the bracket you have looks like it is raised around the spot welds, in addition to the ugly holes. I would want that to be a very nice solid metal stack with no air space when the carrier bolts are tight. I have the EMPI solid one in my beach buggy, but it's one heavy piece of metal in that area with a nice clean bolt hole.

Another alternative, if you are not worried about originality, would be to run the late (1973-1979 US Bugs) rear mounts and not need a carrier.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Oh - and I straightened and re-used my own factory transmission carrier on my 1970 during its 2016-2017 resurrection.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Personally, I would throw it in the trash (or send it back) and hit up theSamba classifieds. I would search all the "Parts" sections for either "carrier" or "rear mount" and buy a real VW one for around $25.

This ^^^

Return the Chinese POS.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

it passed the quality out of control departments standards evidently, Crap is what that is. If I was me, and I am, Id return that piece of junk, heck the small piece is all warped, and will likely be deformed when installed
Total garbage part Disgusting.
Send it back, carefully package it with dog shit, the dog shit will improve it.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. I might need to post something on their feedback section here on the Samba.
Two more questions:
and this one I will also ask when I call them regarding the carrier. Will the studs for the 2 rubber mounts be too long when used with a 12V flywheel? This is going into a '62. I noticed a comment on GBE site about this question. They stated theirs are not too long to impact the flywheel. It made me think about my situation with a case that has been cleared, converted to 12V. With the current solid mount, the bolt head is in the case, so plenty of room.

I'm replacing the front mount too with rubber, I have read all the threads on this subject but I haven't seen anyone mention removal or loosening a intermediate mount if currently used. I plan on unbolting one axle and the rear mount, clutch cable, & shift rod coupler (motor is out). Will I need to remove the mount or will it slide back with the tranny? Not sure how much grip it creates on the frame horns.

Thanks,

James
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Jmiddle204 wrote:
Will the studs for the 2 rubber mounts be too long when used with a 12V flywheel? It made me think about my situation with a case that has been cleared, converted to 12V.

If your flywheel rubs on the studs, the mounts are made incorrectly . . . no problem with O.E. spec mounts. If think your studs are too long, grind the ends of them before you install your engine.
Jmiddle204 wrote:

. . . removal or loosening a intermediate mount if currently used. Will I need to remove the mount or will it slide back with the tranny? Not sure how much grip it creates on the frame horns.

The intermediate mount is doing it's job ONLY when the pads are in contact with the horns . . . should fit snug. HOWEVER . . . I have seen installations where there is a pretty large gap . . .
Do your pads touch the frame horns?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Search the classified section for a used original one.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Here's what the straightened carrier looks like on my 1970, with two new rear mounts. Ignore the wires on the throwout bearing/clutch shaft, I didn't go that path.

Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Jmiddle204 wrote:
Will the studs for the 2 rubber mounts be too long when used with a 12V flywheel? It made me think about my situation with a case that has been cleared, converted to 12V.

If your flywheel rubs on the studs, the mounts are made incorrectly . . . no problem with O.E. spec mounts. If think your studs are too long, grind the ends of them before you install your engine.
Jmiddle204 wrote:

. . . removal or loosening a intermediate mount if currently used. Will I need to remove the mount or will it slide back with the tranny? Not sure how much grip it creates on the frame horns.

The intermediate mount is doing it's job ONLY when the pads are in contact with the horns . . . should fit snug. HOWEVER . . . I have seen installations where there is a pretty large gap . . .
Do your pads touch the frame horns?

Yes, the pads do touch. Looking at the frame horn, they appear to narrow as they extend to the back of the vehicle. I'm hoping the tranny will slide back with mid-mount still attached. I removed/loosened everything last night and the last step is to slide it back. I'll loosened the intermediate mount if I have too.

James
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

Remove ALL 4 of the fasteners on the front mount . . . the front of the transaxle should drop a touch and relive the pressure of the "mid-mount".
Then, remove the two rear bolts, and you should be able to slide the transaxle back . . . it needs to move back only two inches or so to clear the studs at the front mount.
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WW transmission carrier question Reply with quote

So this took a bit of a detour... I got the front mount in, wasn't that difficult when you loosen one axle. I am having a hard time locating the 10M/15MM hex nuts. *Please PM if I can get 2 from someone.* As a back-up, I placed an order with McMaster Carr for some nuts that should do the same, 10M, 15MM hex head.
The new issue was when I got to the rear mount. I'm replacing solid mounts and didn't realize the stock transmission carrier would not fit in conjunction with a truss bar I already have installed. I'll need to remove some material from the carrier edge so the tabs bolt into the frame horn.

James
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: