Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

At this video -- https://vimeo.com/182331995 -- there is a panic braking stop by a VW 412 starting at 0:11. It starts skidding at 0:12 (you see tire smoke) and comes to a stop four seconds later. The last two seconds before it comes to a stop you can clearly see that the front and rear wheels have stopped rotating. I'm guessing it skidded at least 75 feet.

My question to you: does a vehicle that locks up the wheels during braking (thus skidding) take longer to stop than if the wheels had kept rotating until coming to a complete stop? My guess is 'Yes' but I could find no proof by searching the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

I would say skidding is the shortest stopping distance.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

Full skid on dry pavement gives the shortest stopping distance.

But it also gives the least control. ABS systems seek to sacrifice a little distance in order to maintain steering control throughout the stop. They let up on the brakes when they detect a wheel skid, the immediately re-apply them. This cycling of the brakes happens about 10 times a second, leading to an uncomfortable rumble or pulsation feeling during the stop.

Old-school driver training taught us to pump the brakes on wet pavement, which was the "manual ABS" process using a human computer, which is at best 10x slower cycle time than the modern computer-controlled ABS. Still better than skidding off the road!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

A rotating wheel stops significantly faster than a skidding locked up wheel. This is why every modern car is required to have ABS. The coefficient of static friction is higher than sliding friction. Maximum braking traction occurs "just" before lockup, while the wheels are turning.

Performance oriented drivers (without ABS) learn to modulate the brakes. When the wheels lock up, let off the brakes just enough to regain traction, and you will feel the car decelerate harder than when the wheels were in full lock.

For non-ABS cars, brake modulation to maximize deceleration is a learned skill, and requires practice. Your average Joe Schmoe will naturally mash the brakes to the floor in a panic situation, because the learned muscle memory is not there.

All "pumping" the brakes does is give the driver intermittent control and intermittent non-skidding braking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
A rotating wheel stops significantly faster than a skidding locked up wheel. This is why every modern car is required to have ABS. The coefficient of static friction is higher than sliding friction. Maximum braking traction occurs "just" before lockup, while the wheels are turning.

100% truth.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

Comparisons are mixed. Results were published in the April 1971 Motor Trend magazine compared early anti-skid braking systems.

Chrysler's Sure-Brake system, which worked on each front wheel plus the rear as a pair, showed the shortest distance with a full skid on dry pavement or loose gravel:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the other hand, the Mercedes/Teldix Anti-Bloc-System, which worked on all four wheel independently, and at a higher pulse cycle rate, showed A-B-S to be the best under all conditions, while maintaining full steering control throughout the stop:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These two test sets were conducted under different conditions and on different vehicles, and can't be compared directly. But the results within each test can be compared again each other.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

That's pretty old tech. I can only imagine how rudimentary 1971 ABS is, compared to modern systems. I also question how "skilled" the Skilled Driver is.

Here's a great (race oriented) video from someone who knows how to drive at the limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oU9OSINyTY

Go to 4:20 - Threshold breaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
That's pretty old tech. I can only imagine how rudimentary 1971 ABS is, compared to modern systems. I also question how "skilled" the Skilled Driver is.

Here's a great (race oriented) video from someone who knows how to drive at the limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oU9OSINyTY

Go to 4:20 - Threshold breaking.

That was an excellent video. Gonna watch again when I can focus better.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

I think the advances since 1971 (especially the Mercedes system) have been in affordability (in the control electronics) and the reliability of the wheel sensors, not the actual performance of the system itself.

Modern systems are known as "ABS" which is a German acronym used by Daimler-Benz. The Motor Trend article ended with the announcement by Mercedes that their patented system would be made available to all manufacturers, royalty-free, as an advance to overall automotive safety. I might even go out on a limb and wonder if all but the latest systems are evolutions of the Mercedes system.

More recently it has been integrated along with traction control, adaptive 4WD, and other systems and no doubt represents another leap in responsiveness and control.

Here is an article with photos from the same tests reported in the 1971 Motor Trend article (courtesy of google translate):
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&t...mp;act=url

It talks about a 2nd generation system in 1978, which passed via Bosch to Porsche and BMW, long before American cars started adopting such systems. Of course, a $400 option to a $10K Mercedes is a lot easier to take than when added to a $2K Pinto!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I think the advances since 1971 (especially the Mercedes system) have been in affordability (in the control electronics) and the reliability of the wheel sensors, not the actual performance of the system itself.

Modern systems are known as "ABS" which is a German acronym used by Daimler-Benz. The Motor Trend article ended with the announcement by Mercedes that their patented system would be made available to all manufacturers, royalty-free, as an advance to overall automotive safety. I might even go out on a limb and wonder if all but the latest systems are evolutions of the Mercedes system.

More recently it has been integrated along with traction control, adaptive 4WD, and other systems and no doubt represents another leap in responsiveness and control.

Here is an article with photos from the same tests reported in the 1971 Motor Trend article (courtesy of google translate):
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&t...mp;act=url

It talks about a 2nd generation system in 1978, which passed via Bosch to Porsche and BMW, long before American cars started adopting such systems. Of course, a $400 option to a $10K Mercedes is a lot easier to take than when added to a $2K Pinto!

No...the advances in ABS control since 1971 have not been just been in affordability and longevity. They are night and day ...universes away...totally different.

In a modern ABS system...the wheel speed sensor data is simply back stop data for correcting the "rate" at which brake pressure is modulated. In the early ABS systems...80's to mid 90's...the wheel sensor was the key sensor. The system looked at how fast it was stopping and mainly used the wheel sensor with tooth wheel to let it know when that wheel either locked or was about to look and to then release pressure or modulate.

Modern systems use pressure feedback in each line....and...speed sensing from the wheel and speedometer....and inertial shift angles, torque and rpm sensing from the transmission.....all managed by software software that "knows" about when you are close to lockup.

The highest point of braking resistance imparted to the rotor or drum...is encountered milliseconds before that friction/pressure becomes so great that the clamping pressure locks the rotor or drum.... brake lock.

The object with ABS is to allow the system to apply the maximum friction it can...right up to the millisecond it is about the lock.....and then release SOME pressure ...a small amount of pressure. Just enough to make sure the rotor or drum does not lock.

And it is so much more complicated now. So many people screw up their ABS...either by NOT changing fluid on a regular interval....and water saturated fluid has a different density and works totally differently in the nearly microscopic orifices in the ABS hydraulic control block.... or they screw up by just putting in any old fluid that is cheap.

A lot of ABS systems use specific synthetic fluids....many but not all specifically use DOT 5.1...which is a glycol based fluid so it CAN mix with DOT 3 and 4...but usually also has a synthetic ester in it.

Its designed to give temperature and corrosion resistance matching DOT 5 silicone fluid....but also has a thinner viscosity ...over a wider range of temperature than any other fluid type.....that the small orifices in ABS hydraulic control blocks need.

In short...the highest braking and shortest stopping distances are generated in that millisecond before brake lock....not during a dry skid. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

No...the advances in ABS control since 1971 have not been just been in affordability and longevity. They are night and day ...universes away...totally different.

In a modern ABS system...the wheel speed sensor data is simply back stop data for correcting the "rate" at which brake pressure is modulated. In the early ABS systems...80's to mid 90's...the wheel sensor was the key sensor. The system looked at how fast it was stopping and mainly used the wheel sensor with tooth wheel to let it know when that wheel either locked or was about to look and to then release pressure or modulate.

Modern systems use pressure feedback in each line....and...speed sensing from the wheel and speedometer....and inertial shift angles, torque and rpm sensing from the transmission.....all managed by software software that "knows" about when you are close to lockup.

The highest point of braking resistance imparted to the rotor or drum...is encountered milliseconds before that friction/pressure becomes so great that the clamping pressure locks the rotor or drum.... brake lock.

The object with ABS is to allow the system to apply the maximum friction it can...right up to the millisecond it is about the lock.....and then release SOME pressure ...a small amount of pressure. Just enough to make sure the rotor or drum does not lock.

In short...the highest braking and shortest stopping distances are generated in that millisecond before brake lock....not during a dry skid. Ray

Interesting... these changes must be since the mid-1990s the, at least on American cars.

My only serious on-the-road experience with ABS operation was on a 1994 Buick about 15 years ago on an L.A. freeway. I had to stop ASAP after an accident developed in front of me. I buried the pedal and never let up. I could feel (and hear) the rapid cycling of brakes as the pedal pressure pulsated at about 10 Hz. The car stayed straight in the lane without yaw or sliding. However, I didn't steer so I can't verify it maintains steering control in curves when in operation. It DID work well enough that the car behind me didn't stop in time, and lightly tapped my rear bumper, only scuffing it, thankfully.

The pulsations and intermittent chirps from the tires suggested the system detected the skid as it happened and released, rather than anticipating a pending skid. So for at least 25 years those systems were like the Mercedes ABS system. "Catch and release."

Those more recent systems may have all the extra smarts, but I haven't had to "test" them on the road. I suppose on a clear stretch of highway I could do so, just to see/feel how they operate now. I just won't tell my wife how I treated her precious "Hilda," though!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
,,I suppose on a clear stretch of highway I could do so, just to see/feel how they operate now. I just won't tell my wife how I treated her precious "Hilda," though!

Not trying to be preachy, but best to experiment on a closed course with lots of run-out.

ABS still can't defy physics. I've had several instances during autocross where I've entered a corner way too hot, already in severe understeer, when ABS kicked in. It made the buzz, but the car still plowed forward (this is with modern ABS - MK7 GTI.) Only orange cones, my front tires, and pride suffered.

There's only so much grip a tire can offer, and if you've used it all up trying to turn, all the ABS and other electronic aids in the world won't give you more traction to turn or stop.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

Wish I still had contacts in the LAPD... there is a great course in Granada Hills (only about half an hour from me) where they train officers in handling and pursuit. They can water it down in segments and simulate many road conditions.

That area was used on a Jay Leno's Garage episode with Tim Allen, if I remember correctly. Probably on many other shows, too.

That area used to be underwater, until the '71 San Fernando earthquake damaged the earthen dam, and the lower Van Norman reservoir was drained and never refilled. They said one more aftershock and the evacuated area of 40,000 homes, would have been flooded!

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
All "pumping" the brakes does is give the driver intermittent control and intermittent non-skidding braking.

...and in the old days, dry out the drum brakes after driving through a deep puddle! They still taught that in driver training when I was learning... most cars were stick shifts and disc brakes were for luxury cars and imports. Most pony/muscle cars still had 4 wheel drums. How far we have come!

Another note about that video... if all four locked up, then the front/rear balancing was dialed in. I used to love my VW's brakes because with the rear weight bias, the rear wheels actually did a lot of the work, stopping the car much quicker than, say, a Pinto/Vega/Corolla of the day. Small pickups may may as well have had 2-wheel brakes when empty back then!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Small pickups may may as well have had 2-wheel brakes when empty back then!

I am fairly certain the rear brakes on my 277K mile '87 Toyota pickup have never been replaced. I know for sure they have not been replaced in the 160K I have driven it. I have done the fronts twice in that time.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

I am fairly certain the rear brakes on my 277K mile '87 Toyota pickup have never been replaced. I know for sure they have not been replaced in the 160K I have driven it. I have done the fronts twice in that time.

At the time, before the great gas shortages and price spikes, it was common to load a few sandbags into the bed over the rear axle, to increase traction, improve braking, and ease handling. Fully loaded, it was balanced, but empty, it could be scary. So you must have driven it empty most of the time!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

At the time, before the great gas shortages and price spikes, it was common to load a few sandbags into the bed over the rear axle, to increase traction, improve braking, and ease handling. Fully loaded, it was balanced, but empty, it could be scary. So you must have driven it empty most of the time!

Actually, I almost always have 300-500 pounds of tools and equipment back there. And often a load of lumber or ladders on the rack.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Actually, I almost always have 300-500 pounds of tools and equipment back there. And often a load of lumber or ladders on the rack.

Wow, then I almost wonder if it has a fault proportioning valve... with almost no pressure going to the rear. Or it was fixed at a very front-biased setting.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Wow, then I almost wonder if it has a fault proportioning valve... with almost no pressure going to the rear. Or it was fixed at a very front-biased setting.

I have locked up the rears on pavement before, so I know the brakes work. In fact, that happened back in May. I will say I drive very conservatively most times.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Volkswagen 412 braking test Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
At this video -- https://vimeo.com/182331995 -- there is a panic braking stop by a VW 412 starting at 0:11. It starts skidding at 0:12 (you see tire smoke) and comes to a stop four seconds later. The last two seconds before it comes to a stop you can clearly see that the front and rear wheels have stopped rotating. I'm guessing it skidded at least 75 feet.

My question to you: does a vehicle that locks up the wheels during braking (thus skidding) take longer to stop than if the wheels had kept rotating until coming to a complete stop? My guess is 'Yes' but I could find no proof by searching the topic.

I love this video!....but I feel compelled to offer a few notes about the car in the video and some of the information the announcer was giving:

1. The car is not 2500 lbs. The four door 411 and 412 both weighed about 2,250 lbs.

2. The engine actually had 80hp DIN and 82hp SAE....not 76hp.

But....the first year of 412 was the year that SAE changed how they calculate brake horsepower. So that same engine that the announcer listed as having 8.2:1 compression...and obviously had D-jet injection in the video...in 1972 it was listed as 80hp DIN and 82hp SAE.

In 1973....that exact same engines listed hp.....changed to 80hp DIN and 76hp SAE. Same exact engine and compression.

3. That brakes on the 411 and 412 were excellent. As the video noted it has large swept area. What was not mentioned was the really unique for its time...rear brake proportioning valve.

This was a slightly crude but very effective precursor to the first anti-lock brake systems. It was specifically designed to prevent early lock up of the rear wheels as the inertial shift of the car pulls weight off the rear end.

This exact same proportioning valve was used on several BMW, the Porsche 914 and several Mercedes of the same era with slight adjustments.

If you want to see what it does and how it works...look here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664753&highlight=proportioning

From well over a half million miles of driving 411 and 412 cars...I can tell you these impressions:

A. The front having that nose high attitude that allows the wheel to pull off the ground...was a design flaw built into the front strut lengths. Its purpose was to support the weight of stuff in the front trunk ...when the trunk was full....and the font trunk is MASSIVE.

In the video you notice that you can see the control arms under the front end and that they are at a pretty sharp angle.....the strut is nearly fully extended even in a straight line. When it goes around a normal corner and rolls....it is virtually at full lock. Under high speed....yes....the wheel can pull off the ground....in stock configuration.

And...its not actually as high as it looks. The total excessive rise from level...is between 0.9" and 1.25" depending on year and model. BUT...it looks and acts like a huge nose lift...because as the nose goes up, the rear of teh car pivots about the rear axle and it drives the rear downward by almost the same amount.

And....when you remove that front nose high stance and set the car dead level....the handling AND braking are night and day improved.

B. The tires back in the day that came stock...were radials but were 4.5"rim width and 165/75-15. The side wall height and flex that you can see on that video in the slalom was enormous.

A common upgrade at dealers and elsewhere was the 185/75 or 185/70-15....which was also an excellent upgrade. But for ages I ran mine with 5.5" rims and 205/60-15 and also 195-65-15 or 195-55-15....as low as you want to go as the rear suspension cross member with 205-60-15's has only 5.75" ground clearance.

The handling of these cars with just a few mods like better tires and setting the front end level...was hands down better than any other air cooled car (short of Porsche products) that VW ever built.

C. The 11.0 seconds from 0-60....was actually not bad. That was a good driver at the wheel...considering it was an automatic. The four speed cars like mine....if tuned better than factory....even with a stock engine ...could make 9.5 to 10.0 seconds 0-60.

The factory 4-speed had a final drive ratio of 3.73:1 and later 3.91:1.

The common listing of 13 seconds 0-60 for the 411/412...actually came from the 1974 412...which had a de-tuned (for emissions) 1.8L with L-jet injection with the same automatic but with a slightly lower final drive ratio.

When that same 1.8L is bumped back up slightly on compression, with better ignition and tuning....it cranks out about 90 hp.

All in all....a much maligned car. They were actually very nice. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: