Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifting points on DU trans 4 speed mated to Subaru 2.2L
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H6WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Shifting points on DU trans 4 speed mated to Subaru 2.2L Reply with quote

Hello all. I don't have a tachometer on the cluster. My other stick shift car is a 88 crx HF, the hf stands for high efficiency so the gears are very tall and shift poits are specific for that.

I on the Vanagon on I have a subaru 2.2 mated to a 091 DU transmission.

1st gear 34:9 = 3.78
2nd gear 33:16 =2.06
3rd gear 63:50 =1.26
4th gear 52:61 =0.85
Final drive 34:7 =4.86

So since I don'e have a tach I should shift to second at ___ mph to third at ___mph, to fourth at ___mph.

Thanks all.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Shifting points on DU trans 4 speed mated to Subaru 2.2L Reply with quote

Run the piss out of it and don't worry about it. Unless you are just very aggressive and/or don't pay your driving much mind you aren't going to hurt anything.
H6WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting points on DU trans 4 speed mated to Subaru 2.2L Reply with quote

No really, I'm working out the bugs in the Subaru conversion and other that the short first test drive around an 3 acre lot, I've never driven a Stick shift vanagon. Is first gear a granny gear? how soon should I shift to second?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting points on DU trans 4 speed mated to Subaru 2.2L Reply with quote

Something like this should work

1st-2nd------10-20mph

2nd-3rd------20-45mph

3rd-4th------40-70mph
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting points on DU trans 4 speed mated to Subaru 2.2L Reply with quote

I have 28.9" diameter tires. For me, a fairly aggressive acceleration curve means shift points at 4000 RPM, which puts relative speeds at:

1st-2nd 18 mph
2nd-3rd 33 mph
3rd-4th 54 mph
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting points on DU trans 4 speed mated to Subaru 2.2L Reply with quote

The EJ2.2 Subaru redlines at something like 6500 and is rev limited to something like 7000, might as well use it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: