Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1745cc bulld
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

Also, it looks like I'm just under zero deck, so all I'll have to do is get barrel shims and be good to go. Decked case, 76mm crank, 5.5 rods. Perfect.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

Has anyone used this oil gallery port for a pressure/temp gage?

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

So I ordered some Mahle cam bearings to try. I got Silverline in the mail. I tried them again to see if I had got a bad set the first time.. Nope, these things are junk.

Anyway; the short block is almost ready to go. There was no clearancing needed with the 76 crank and the crappy AA I beam 5.5 rods. I'll probably just clearance a few places where the rod nuts get close for piece of mind.

If anyone one is following this I apologise for the slowness of the build.. hopefully I'm done "fixing" new parts and I can make faster progress
v8nate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

About 5 years ago I was reading the mileage motor build and thought that's for me! Ordered a 76mm crank, h beam rods, forged Mahle 85.5 b pistons, a cheater cam, and a set of 40x35.5 mofoco heads. At the time I was fairly green on "building" a motor so it went on the back burner for a while. Just got back into it the single relief case I have for it needs an align bore and to be decked. I had just about everything to complete my 2058cc so I think I'll change gears on my semi "mileage motor" and gear it towards a turbo charged freak. Once I finish my 2058 I'll take my 1745 case down to nw connecting rod and have it machined and finish the first motor I started!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

Wow life has a way of side tracking you but now I'm back at it. I pulled apart the short block to get the rotating assembly ready to go to the machine shop for ballancing. I've kinda been stuck on pressure plate and flywheel choice.

Options:
Stock OG flywheel that will need 8 dowled and faced.
New flywheel. Ive pretty much decided on full weight. Don't really want a pressed gear unit.

Pressure plate:
El cheapo regular one new in box sitting on a shelf.
New one of any flavor
Old bus "nine spring" in my stash. Nice shape. Surface rust that could be machined clean.

Just looking for enough clamp without too much "hard to drive". You know what I mean?

Oh, on another note: Why does every supplier just swap parts from what you ordered? I've ordered Mahle cam berings 3 effing times and got silverline. When I contact the seller they always give me the same reason: "we gave you a free upgrade". I ordered a specific manufacturer bearing for a specific reason. Geezus.

Again last week. I ordered EMPI rod bearings on purpose so I can measure the difference from Mahle. I got Mahle in the mail. Brick wall
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

On another note, when I got the Mahle cam bearings I sat them with a malet and they were perfect. It's amazing how bad the Silverline cam bearings are. I wasted so much time working with the junk Silverline. Not only multiple mock-ups, but in aggravation and wasted motivation. When a simple part whoops your a$$, sometimes you end up walking away for weeks..

But I'll post my failures as well as my *hopeful* victories.

After the Silverline fiasco, I wanted to seat each half of the Mahle bearings in the case halves before clamping it together. So I put a cam half in a case half, put the cam in and grabbed the rubber mallet. My aim was not calibrated:

Whoops: Embarassed

Luckily I have a junk case from the parts pile I can steal a stud from. You can see how bad my aim was:

I'll clean this stud up and roll on.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

v8nate wrote:
About 5 years ago I was reading the mileage motor build and thought that's for me! Ordered a 76mm crank, h beam rods, forged Mahle 85.5 b pistons, a cheater cam, and a set of 40x35.5 mofoco heads. At the time I was fairly green on "building" a motor so it went on the back burner for a while. Just got back into it the single relief case I have for it needs an align bore and to be decked. I had just about everything to complete my 2058cc so I think I'll change gears on my semi "mileage motor" and gear it towards a turbo charged freak. Once I finish my 2058 I'll take my 1745 case down to nw connecting rod and have it machined and finish the first motor I started!

Why the 40 x 35.5 heads on a 1745 with a cheater cam?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

I'm using MOFOCO super streets. They look sweet. They come with 37.5 intake and 32 exhaust. Both SS.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

Most agonizinng slowly moving forward. Short block is together.

I decided to grab some rocker assemblies complete instead of piecing them together from OG parts and a new solid shaft.

I got a Scat kit, but it came with Ford/Mazda style ball adjusters. I was just planning on using stock style but maybe I'll use these.. I've been looking at threads that say the oil supply holes don't line up right and other issues. I've not used this style adjuster before so im not familiar with them, or how to check them.

So how is the Scat adjusters? OK, or just toss them? What do I need to check if I want to use them? What's the difference between these, and Porsche swivel feet?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1745cc bulld Reply with quote

Oh and I got the 9 spring PP blasted and surfaced. Looks brand new. Another score from my $100 parts pile. Hopefully it works out nice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: