Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

I'm finishing up my motor and have my steel lines mounted to a Holley regulator on the back of the shroud. Originally planned on running the factory softline from the tinnel to a bent steel line coming from the regulator. This will have a Holley pump mounted under the tank as well, so guessing I'll need a step down once I get to that as well. I need a clean way to adapt 3/8 down to factory line, and can't find bthe right fitting anywhere on Google! What's the best way to step down? Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

I suppose you could run a pipe thread coupler with a 3/8 barb to a 1/4 barb.... There are nice smooth flowing dual barbed fittings, but you would need a 3/8 to 5/16, then another 5/16 to 1/4.

Why not run a 3/8 line from the tank? If you’re using a Holley Red, or Blue, that’s like running a fire hose worth of volume through a garden hose if using the stock 6mm line. On a 2276, I went from a Carter Rotory through a 5/16 line to a Holley Red with a 3/8 line, and it was night, and day...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

If I remember right stock line is good to 150hp. Get a AN step down and make a smaller hardline to attach stock.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

You need a flex line between the chassis and the engine.
Why not just use a barbed fitting on the inlet of the regulator and call it a day.

One observation, Your regulator is sitting kinda high on the FS.
I put my Holley 1402 reg. back there and found the adjustment screw contacted the decklid spring when installing the engine.
Yours seems way higher than mine that is on a late model doghouse shroud.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Originally I intended to run 3/8 from the tank, but realistically it's a 1914 with around 120 HP. The plan was a red Holley to the stock hard line and soft stock to a barbed fitting on the regulator. Without doing a series of step down adapter s from home Depot I can't find a good way to get down. Thanks for the regulator height info too! It never crossed my mind...I got in the zone bending lines I guess lol. I'll have to flip the bracket and bring it down. Think there are any issues running a Holley pump to the small stock tunnel line?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

With that size engine, you likely could have gotten away with a smaller/more quiet pump, and no regulator. If you are using clamped rubber hoses, I’d make sure you have FI hose/clamps. Your pump will be running at full load against itself most of the time if it’s dead headed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

Agreed. With the car taken apart I figured I would set it up for the motor that I intend to eventually put in it which is a turbo rather than plumb it twice. I'll be sure to get some FI clamps too! Thanks for all of your help.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

If you are planning a future build that would use all of the pumps capabilities, I would definitely install a full 3/8 line from front to back.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

Even with a 3/8 line its pointless with that pump. Your float seats are gonna go through hell. If your determined to use that pump(regardless of regulator or not), at least do this one thing, feel the pump after running it for 5 mins idling, and decide if its smart to drive around with a fuel pump that gets that hot.

Even if you regulate it down to 4psi, that pump is trying to flow 70 gallons per hour when your engine is using 4 gallons per hour.

I like your carb hard lines though, thats cool! Rustavenger is right, make life easier and just run a rubber line off your regulator.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input! I ended up flipping the regulator bracket so it would sit lower and re did all of the lines. I didn't care for my first attempt anyway. Plan is a hard feed line in 3/8 out of the back tin with an AN 6 to 1/4'' hose adapter. That'll go to a soft line to the stock pan line. Changed pumps too...any experience with a Holley mighty mite pump? I picked up a new one locally... hopefully it's good. No sense in a Holley red until later
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

Dude, that looks a hell of allot better.
Nice work.
Are you bending those yourself? That's some damn fine bending and fitting.
I see stuff like this everyday for process piping at work. You just don't see this quality of craftsmanship on most air cooled VW's.

Good call on the flex line from the engine to the chassis.

EDIT: Huh! I guess you are bending the fuel lines yourself. I just noticed the benders on the bench. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

Thanks man! Figure it pays off to do things right the first time. Yeah the cheap bender actually works well on 3/8 line. It gave me minor kinks on smaller line but this worked out!
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

Also, thanks for the heads up on the regulator mounting...looks way cleaner from the front now.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line adapter for 3/8 steel lines Reply with quote

The mighy mite comes in a few different part numbers. If you got the 12-426, you dont even need a regulator. I love them. If you got the 12-427, you will need to adjust down the pressure with a regulator.

A tip on the fuel pump, dont hardwire, use a covered terminal plug on the hot, and ground the black to its mounting screws(as long as its good bare metal) and buy a 2nd pump already setup with the same connection. Then if one dies you can switch it out easy. At $50 shipped might as well.

Holley 12-426 on my daily:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: