Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to mount LS coils
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

I plan to run EFI on my current build and I am looking to buy the dual coil mounts from THEDUBSHOP: http://thedubshop.com/ls2-dual-coil-package/

Anyone have suggestions on where to mount these in/on a 65 Tyle 1? I will be running the CB throttle bodies.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

This is going to be a personnel preference for all. Personally, I mounted mine hanging on the left and right side of the engine bay. Some have mounted to top and sides of the fan shroud, others in front or behind the shroud. With the fuel injection and turbo plumbing, I kinda just had to put them where they will fit. I mounted them up, and then cut some vanagon wires to length, essentially giving me the Coil Near Plug scenario that I was going for. Do whatever works best for your setup.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

Pictures could be better, but here are where mine are mounted. Same for the other two on the opposite side (3/4)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

I prefer to mount them in the engine compartment and out of sight.... I am just not sure how much room is going to be available once the throttle bodies and fuel rails are stuffed on each side.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

I have two on the left, and two on the right. Mounted to brackets bolted to the sheet metal hinge supports. These are IGN1 coils but same idea as LS.

Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

Those coils are huge. The smart coils I have with the holley system are almost half the size.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

What's this infatuation with CNP and COP just unnecessary complications for zero gain over a wasted spark set up unless you intend to make power above 8k on a regular basis
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
What's this infatuation with CNP and COP just unnecessary complications for zero gain over a wasted spark set up unless you intend to make power above 8k on a regular basis

Heeeeere we go.... Rolling Eyes

Shocked

Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

I do run waste spark, just happens I have four coils. This keeps the polarity of each spark the same.

I also run sequential injection without a cam sensor.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

COP and CNP is just a neat packaging deal that the OEMs used when the engines no longer needed a distributor. Even VW binned the COPs and went back to coil pack and wires on certain models.
Running four coils in wasted spark mode has no real world advantage. In a true sequential 4 coil set up the advantage is more available dwell for high RPM and more cool down so you can pump them harder.
There are some slight advantages to full sequential fuelling but nothing you can't get 90% of using phased batch "twice per cycle"
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

I was sponsored and got the four IGN1 coils for no cost as a tester of them in 2005. I agree a coil pack would have been easier/simpler to install.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Where to mount LS coils Reply with quote

Yes I understand and if you get some good stuff free and have time then cool but for general information purposes 4 coil stuff and sequential fuel just isn't worth the extra effort
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: