Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Peter D. wrote:
...This is getting expensive!

...and it's stillllll early Smile

Enjoy the ride. Six months after your'e done you will have forgotten how much you spent.

-----
Emil

Yep...keep two itemised bills, the accurate one for yourself, the other more imaginative for your wife. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Getting the 1500 H-based engine into your Ghia with its (most likely) original transmission is not difficult. The bellhousing of the transmission is slightly too small to fit the larger-diameter flywheel of the 1500. You just need to grind off a few small areas to get the FW to fit in. You can find photos of this clearancing in the gallery.

You can keep that muffler. I would suggest installing heater boxes for those clear, 40F spring or fall drives. All you need to do is to feed the hoses from the fan shroud outlet through your rear breast plate, and then directly into the heater box rear inlet snout. After you remove the J-tubes, you should chase the threads of the head studs with a metric M8x1.25 die. That size is the most commonly used on VW bodies and engines. You can slip the heater box mounting flange barely over those studs, while guiding the rear pipe into the muffler. Apply anti-seize grease to the head studs before you put the fastening nuts and washers on. All easy to do with the engine still out of the car.

Then you'll need the complete "sled" tin set that goes under the engine and fills the space between the sides of the case and the inboard curvature of the heater boxes. Good used German beats aftermarket new any day, even if you have to de-rust and repaint the tins.

Do you know if your Ghia already has a 12V starter? That's the next piece of the puzzle.

Does your 1500 engine already have a pressure plate and clutch disc? The PP must be compatible with your transmission's throwout bearing design. The 1200 tranny T/O bearing would mate up to an "early" 1500/1600 pressure plate that has a metal ring in the center.

The overall width of the 1500 is slightly more than the 1200cc 40-hp engine, like 1/2", but it will fit in the engine bay no problem. You probably know that the rear breast plate is only installed once the engine is in place. Chase all the holes in the tin for the tin screws with an M6x1.0 tap.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

They used to make cars with no heaters.
Then they made heaters an option, you stopped, climbed out and twisted a water valve to turn it on. You could by a kit and install it later if you liked.
Then they made heaters standard by geopgraphical region,
Now all cars have heaters and almost every new one also has Air Conditioning.

There is a reason heaters became standard eqipment on cars, they are really NICE TO HAVE!!!

Have you ever owned a car without a heater?
I have ..........

I kept an ice scraper handy for the INSIDE of the Windshield.

Why be miserable motoring around in your Ghia?
Put in heat.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...Why be miserable motoring around in your Ghia?
Put in heat.

Dave

...or move to Florida, we roll the windows down to get heat Evil or Very Mad

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the great advice on the head studs and clutch For some reason I'm not getting notifications on replies to this thread. I'll add a metric die to my tools list.

Of course DHL lost my order from CIP1, so I without an engine stand and flywheel I'm at a standstill. But I did purchase all the engine missing tins I needed along with the thermostat and flaps. I guess they're not critical but I do want to be as close to correct as possible on this project. I also found heater boxes which the seller is getting ready for me.

This Ghia actually didn't come with a starter. I'm doing a 12 volt conversion so I know I'll need a some kind of hybrid starter that will fit into a smaller housing. I don't know what kind of transmission is in there now but it may have already been ground out when the car got it's flame paint job in the 90s. I'll have to take a closer look.

Today I disconnected the steering column (which involved lots of liquid wrench and pounding with a punch) and removed the last two body bolts. I wasn't aware that there were two more hidden up behind the rear seat. I pulled off the old vinyl strip and there was a vertical piece of compressed fiber board. I removed that, found the bolts and also found two sound deadening socks! I felt a little bit like Indiana Jones These are definitely going back once I get it repainted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The inside of the car is unbelievably crusty. I'm wondering how heavy the body is to lift with the doors, trunk and window installed. I could take them off first but storage is tight.

Rome wrote:
Getting the 1500 H-based engine into your Ghia with its (most likely) original transmission is not difficult. The bellhousing of the transmission is slightly too small to fit the larger-diameter flywheel of the 1500. You just need to grind off a few small areas to get the FW to fit in. You can find photos of this clearancing in the gallery.

You can keep that muffler. I would suggest installing heater boxes for those clear, 40F spring or fall drives. All you need to do is to feed the hoses from the fan shroud outlet through your rear breast plate, and then directly into the heater box rear inlet snout. After you remove the J-tubes, you should chase the threads of the head studs with a metric M8x1.25 die. That size is the most commonly used on VW bodies and engines. You can slip the heater box mounting flange barely over those studs, while guiding the rear pipe into the muffler. Apply anti-seize grease to the head studs before you put the fastening nuts and washers on. All easy to do with the engine still out of the car.

Then you'll need the complete "sled" tin set that goes under the engine and fills the space between the sides of the case and the inboard curvature of the heater boxes. Good used German beats aftermarket new any day, even if you have to de-rust and repaint the tins.

Do you know if your Ghia already has a 12V starter? That's the next piece of the puzzle.

Does your 1500 engine already have a pressure plate and clutch disc? The PP must be compatible with your transmission's throwout bearing design. The 1200 tranny T/O bearing would mate up to an "early" 1500/1600 pressure plate that has a metal ring in the center.

The overall width of the 1500 is slightly more than the 1200cc 40-hp engine, like 1/2", but it will fit in the engine bay no problem. You probably know that the rear breast plate is only installed once the engine is in place. Chase all the holes in the tin for the tin screws with an M6x1.0 tap.

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

I used my 73 Beetle as a daily driver, even in the winter. It had a gas heater and the heater boxes worked fine but one winter the windshield turned to ice on I95 during a snow storm. That was fun! I had many near death experiences on the highway trying to keep up with tractor trailers and SUVs.

I'm not really sure what my vision for this Ghia is yet since I'm still taking it apart at this point. But I might as well put some heater boxes into it. Not that the heat was ever great when the car was brand new!

djkeev wrote:
They used to make cars with no heaters.
Then they made heaters an option, you stopped, climbed out and twisted a water valve to turn it on. You could by a kit and install it later if you liked.
Then they made heaters standard by geopgraphical region,
Now all cars have heaters and almost every new one also has Air Conditioning.

There is a reason heaters became standard eqipment on cars, they are really NICE TO HAVE!!!

Have you ever owned a car without a heater?
I have ..........

I kept an ice scraper handy for the INSIDE of the Windshield.

Why be miserable motoring around in your Ghia?
Put in heat.

Dave

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Are you going to re-use the 6 volt flywheel? Run 12 V thru a 6 V starter?
If you use a 12 volt flywheel you can run a auto stick starter and never worry about bushings again.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Yes, 12 volt flywheel. Maybe I'll pick up an autostick starter at the next show/swap meet.

c21darrel wrote:
Are you going to re-use the 6 volt flywheel? Run 12 V thru a 6 V starter?
If you use a 12 volt flywheel you can run a auto stick starter and never worry about bushings again.

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

I made a little progress on this project in the past few weeks. The body is off and on a dolly. The floors are looking pretty crusty and I think they're beyond salage. The PO tried to patch with roofing tiles. I can save the seat rails and I bought a pair of cross bars from House of Ghia (thanks!).

The curveball here is the hole cut into the center tunnel which I'm told was probably done to fix the clutch tube.

I pulled it open and looked inside but I'm not experienced enough to tell if it was welded properly or not. Should I try grabbing and shaking it? I am a bit alarmed by the amount of rust inside the tunnel.

I know Eastwood sells some encapsulator products. I'll take a closer look this weekend. Lots of loose rust debris that I can hopefully vacuum out.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
I know Eastwood sells some encapsulator products. I'll take a closer look this weekend. Lots of loose rust debris that I can hopefully vacuum out.

I used Eastwood internal frame coating inside my tunnel and it seemed to work out ok. But mine didn't have the surface rust that yours does so you might need to treat it with something like Ospho first.

Also your floor pans are totally gone in the above photos so ignore my comment in the other thread about patching them.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Yeah, they're totally toast. I already bought new floors from Jbugs. They claim the metal is 18 gauge but I wish Klasicfab made floors for Ghia.

I gotta be honest though, I couldn't fall asleep last night thinking about the rust in the tunnel! I have to decide if I'm going to soak in ospho and coat or cut and weld. That will change my approach in how I go about replacing the floors and taking the rest of the chassis apart. I wanted to do one side of the floor at a time so I can compare and match. But if I have to cut the bottom of the tunnel out I'll need to remove both floors first.

Going to determine how bad that rust actually is when I have some time this weekend. At the least body is solid!
Sketchy_1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Muratic acid will eat through rust faster than phosphoric acid. Ospho is great for slight surface or flash rusting. Muratic is also a fraction the cost of phosphoric. I use muratic to remove rust to bare metal, then let it flash rust and spray Ospho. Makes a great base for primer.
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

https://www.klassicfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/1FINAL_CODE_LIST_NEW_2015.pdf

Very bottom of list. Call and see if they still offer them?
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

I contacted them earlier this year and they are not making them right now. Heard from Gerson himself. Oh, well!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Sketchy_1 wrote:
Muratic acid will eat through rust faster than phosphoric acid. Ospho is great for slight surface or flash rusting. Muratic is also a fraction the cost of phosphoric. I use muratic to remove rust to bare metal, then let it flash rust and spray Ospho. Makes a great base for primer.

That stuff scares me but I'll check it out. Just pour it in and let it soak? I suppose handling the scary stuff is better than cutting into my tunnel and ending up with a crooked car.
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

If you're using straight muratic acid, I'd *carefully* spray it with a plastic spray bottle and let it work with the minimal amount. The straight stuff will chew through quite a number of things - oil, grease, rust, calcium etc.

If you're just pouring it in, keep an eye on it. And watch out for the vapors, as they can be kinda strong.
Sketchy_1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

You can cut it 50% and it's still very effective...plus I use 3M acid respirator filters (yellow) and face shield which aren't very expensive. After doing several cars this way, on heavy rust it's hard to beat. Not a fan of sealing in rust. Phosphoric takes a long time and considerable elbow grease on heavy rust. You can put the cut muratic acid in a garden pump sprayer and stick the wand in from the shift rod access hole in the front and from the transmission nose cone port in the rear. Pretty much cover everything in the tunnel. Done this many times without injury, I also run water underneath if I am working over concrete so it doesn't etch it.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Okay, well I already have a garden sprayer and face mask so that's a start. Does the acid require any kind of neutralizing wash or spray once it's done doing it's thing?

And didn't they use this stuff on Breaking Bad to get rid of the bodies?!
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Rinse with copious amounts of water. The acid will continue to eat anything it can until it's expended/reacted fully.

If mixing (say for spray bottle) acid and water, remember to always add acid to water.

You will get flash rust after using the acid, but that can be treated with different products, just make sure you treat the acid etched areas as soon as possible to limit the amount of rust that develops.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ghia Coupe Restoration Reply with quote

Alright, so it's muriatic acid, rinse with water, let dry, ospho, let dry, then paint with Eastwood or Masterseries. Maybe I'll take tons of pictures and post as a tutorial.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: