Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you see?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

That thing's gorgeous. Looks like you could "store" it on your hifi rack- right above your gyrodial Marantz tuner.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Found an old tow bar today, the seller had no idea what it was and it does need work but for five bucks I'll give it a shot. Somebody backed up and bent one of the U channels but I know how to Weld. The tongue needs rebuilt all internals missing. I'll fix it and post before and after pics . Then I stumbled upon these machinists tool chests full of tools both for twenty. I'm planning on building a couple of basic tool boxes, maybe stage two as John Muir suggests and sell at swap meet next year.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Saw this today at the big flea market and when I run across stuff like this I just gotta chuckle. It's a 3/8 drive Proto torque wrench with case with the calibration sticker from a major airline here in town... priced at 20 bucks but then you could go to harbor freight and buy their 10 dollar no name piece of shit which is guaranteed to go out of calibration soon after you buy it. If I didn't already have one I'd be all over this quality wrench which has been carefully maintained at the airline.

Anybody need a receiver hitch????? 8 bucks your choice. Very Happy
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

No on the hitch. Yes on the torque wrench. Pm me Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

This week found me again at the big flea market and what did I see?
This tow bar which the seller had no idea what it was for. I’d not seen one like this either. It easily weighs twice as much compared to the cheap empi ones and overall the construction is much more robust, I’ll keep this one for myself. The best part? It cost me 5 dollars. Very Happy it’s made in the USA by Valley.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This week found me again at the big flea market and what did I see?
This tow bar which the seller had no idea what it was for. I’d not seen one like this either. It easily weighs twice as much compared to the cheap empi ones and overall the construction is much more robust, I’ll keep this one for myself. The best part? It cost me 5 dollars. Very Happy it’s made in the USA by Valley.

Son of a b^&*
I keep forgetting to get my a$$ over there and look around. Is it always the first Sat of every month? What time and how far out on 412

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

No this is the one further in town by the traffic circle on admiral right off 169.
It’s been running Saturday and Sunday weather permitting since the mid 70s.
It covers an entire shopping center and the parking lot then spills out across the street. Everything from pit bull puppies to antiques. I once found a nice blue Hazet assistant in very nice condition for 125 bucks, I actually talked them down from 145. Lots of tools always, I’ve been going since early 90s. This ones gets going around 8 and runs till 4
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
No this is the one further in town by the traffic circle on admiral right off 169.
It’s been running Saturday and Sunday weather permitting since the mid 70s.
It covers an entire shopping center and the parking lot then spills out across the street. Everything from pit bull puppies to antiques. I once found a nice blue Hazet assistant in very nice condition for 125 bucks, I actually talked them down from 145. Lots of tools always, I’ve been going since early 90s. This ones gets going around 8 and runs till 4

Oh yeah, gotcha I remember you telling me about that one as well.
Someday I'll make it to both of those!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

I'm jealous! I've never seen a tow bar that hooks behind the beam rather than just from underneath.

WAAAYY easier to install- especially because you're always laying in mud, Three Mile Island waste, jellyfish, etc..

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Where's Waldo?

Seriously, that looks like fun.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

One row was the entire contents of Ace hardware that had been liquidated. Another was Car Quest. I think you could buy a kidney here too if you look hard enough.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Today I found this timing light from a guy I’ve known for several years, buying electrical items without testing is a risk but not this time. This particular light has some functions I’ve always wanted like a tachometer. So looks to be in great condition used occasionally no bumps or cuts. These lights retailed about 450.00 new plus tax and were made in USA but he made me a smoking deal 40 bucks so I jumped on it. He also had a nice leak down tester Snap-On which I’ll get next week.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Here’s an item many folks would walk right past not knowing who actually made it. It’s marked Par-X followed by a part number, big deal right? Par-X was actually a secondary line of tools made by Snap-On and they carry a lifetime guarantee. This particular wrench is date coded 1964 and it cost me a whopping 3 dollars because directional lever was broken and nobody except me knew what it was.

Snap-On guy comes by our shop every Tuesday so he was only too happy to put a kit in this and rebuild it for free, he’s a younger guy and had actually never seen Par-X but after a call to headquarters they told him to fix it and supplied a kit number which had all the moving parts even the screws. He’s good and had it done less than 5 minutes.

Wes has it all apart doing a rebuild

Use this chart to establish when it was made match the style of number to decade look above my thumb

The finished product ready to work another 54 years

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Friday was the annual spring all things man cave extravaganza swap meet and car corral. Business was brisk the weather nice and 50 plus acres of gearhead stuff anything and everything. All makes including VW which always sells cheap. Scored a nice type3 shifter chrome shaft excellent condition for 2 dollars. Looked at a 1974 Funco sandrail that had a pre 54 Porsche front beam, very nice that beam alone could have brought good money.

This year rain threatened the two day event as all the outside vendors packed up and left Friday evening. Not me I drove over early Saturday morning in the rain because there were also vendors inside and plenty of stuff to consider.

The hardcore and old timers , (maybe I’m one or both) were glad to see us. One of these guys shared a tip with me. He is a license plate collector and deals in everything from the leather plates, porcelain on up to modern and foreign but I wanted an original plate for my 1954 VW bug. He took a small amount of vasoline and rubbed it into the plate using bare hands followed by wiping with a soft cotton T shirt. Results are great, doesn’t hurt the paint and is non abrasive although it is temporary and would only last a few weeks maybe a month. But it’s cheap and it repels water.

Next I made my way over to the tool guy and picked through the better stuff
I spent 30 bucks for the whole pile. Major score 36 mm 1/2 in dr. impact socket
1 7/8 12 point 1 inch dr. One of those alone costs more than the entire pile. The swivel socket is dated 1940 and the BoxockeT dates from late 20s. I can sell all of this to Snap On for half of book price towards something I really need but I’m leaning towards building tool kits to sell at eureka springs VW show later this summer.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

around hear it's mostly baby shit, toys, and used kitchen utensils along with more crap...no car swap meats in this area....1 In P cola in November....not much there either just a good old boy show...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
around hear it's mostly baby shit, toys, and used kitchen utensils along with more crap...no car swap meats in this area....1 In P cola in November....not much there either just a good old boy show...

I’d like to go to Hershey Pennsylvania before I die for the big show but next time you are near a bookstore Hemming’s has a list of upcoming shows broken down by state. Once you attend you’ll see ads for other upcoming shows and boom you are hooked. Seems like they are not well advertised, some cater to pre war, some military, street rod but I’ve found my best deals at these places because they practically give VW stuff away. Don’t discount Harley Davidson and motorcycle swaps either because all the aircooled stuff seems to run together.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Today I’m out pouring over the junk and this thing pops up. It’s a bulk lube oil dispenser the kind you used to see at every gas station. They were used to service gear boxes and rear differential on all kinds of cars and trucks. Some of these were on wheels and it wouldn’t be too hard to mount this on a furniture dolly to make that happen. With minimum care these pumps last forever require zero maintenance. Larger ones mounted in back of service station held a couple hundred gallons at a time and the oil was dispensed into clear glass bottles so the consumer could see what they were buying.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

for some vw guys that"s a gotta have accessory. Shocked Wink ..Hmm is that a multi length crescent wrench i see? Confused sweet if it is..I have a electrick one... and a wood bench top.....I like formica or metal... easy to clean and always clean, no transfur of debris...no trans fats either!!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

I’d like to go to Hershey Pennsylvania before I die for the big show but next time you are near a bookstore Hemming’s has a list of upcoming shows broken down by state. Once you attend you’ll see ads for other upcoming shows and boom you are hooked. Seems like they are not well advertised, some cater to pre war, some military, street rod but I’ve found my best deals at these places because they practically give VW stuff away. Don’t discount Harley Davidson and motorcycle swaps either because all the aircooled stuff seems to run together.

My goal is to get to Hershey also before i croak or am too feeble to do it.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

What did I see? Oh man something I couldn’t pass up. A nice old Hout toolbox for 10 bucks. 10 bucks holy cow gimme that, it’s mostly just dirty needs some love. Then I happened up on these small tools. Far right the screw installation for tight places tool, and it’s Blue Point. A couple of nice measuring tools, one is Browne and Sharp other reads metric. All three 5 bucks.

OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Went to the flea market with calipers in hand. Found this by looking through the bins of junk sockets:

For which I paid $2. (A shame folks don't take care of their tools, the list list price on this item is $79. Although you can get it through the internet for under $40. )

Using the mill I squared off the end to get a flat and square surface:

So now it is this:

And it was put to good use:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: