Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My son and I are planning a trip from NJ to Oshkosh, WI to Airventure 2018, a huge week-long air show hosted by the Experimental Aircraft Association. We plan to leave on Wed, July 18, 2018 and head up through NY state to Niagara Falls, then on to Ontario, CA, up over Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, and finally down to Oshkosh by the 22nd.

Any other VW enthusiasts going to Airventure/Oshkosh?

Are there any sights or camping spots or people along our route that would be good to seek out?

When I was a kid, my dad and I often talked about how fun it would be to go to this event, but we never made it there. Now my son is 17 and I would love to experience it with him.

The bus is in good shape and we have lots of spares and tools. I'm no stranger to travel in old buses, but I'll have my fingers crossed too!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. I'll post pics when I have some.

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible

Last edited by TomC on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
basssloane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

That will be a great trip in your bus.

One place you may want to check out is The Grand Sable Dunes next to Grand Marais, MI. Pretty cool beaches and some camping spots too. I know it might be a few miles off your track, but worth a look if you can.
I may try to make it over to that show too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

sounds great,
let me know if you need any ideas or help in the central/upstate NY region.

Dan in Syracuse, NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip. Keep us posted.
A list of things you might want to carry.
Old Post-New Twist (Tools/Parts/Materials list) FAQ

Safe travels
Tcash
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

The Grand Sable Dunes looks beautiful. We might have enough time to route through there. Send me a message if you come down to Airventure, basssloane. We're camping in Stony Point SP in NY the first night, just outside of Dansville (How about that, Dan!). I appreciate the link, Tcash. I have most of the stuff on the list, but there are several good ideas that I will add.

I'm curious to see what the camping situation is like in Ontario, in the general area of Guelph, or along the northern coast of Lake Huron, for that matter. I've looked at a few commercial campgrounds and some provincial parks, but I haven't reserved anything. I'm sure we'll find a piece of ground somewhere. I'll post when we do.

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Happy to chime in on the Ontario leg of your journey. Sounds like fun - my dad attended with a friend about 25 years ago, flying from SW Ont to Osh Kosh in our friend's Cessna. Sounded awesome!

As for your route - crossing at the Falls, heading north in ON to cross back into the States at Sault Ste. Marie? Assuming that is correct:

Guelph - there are some camping options around there, but you're really close to the most populated area of Canada, so plan to book ahead if possible. Basically, you're within 1hr of Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo and even London. Elora Gorge is a pretty unique limestone gorge (a micro version of the Ithaca, NY area). The only other place I've camped is NW of there - Albion Hills Conservation area. Basically, for the Guelph area, search for Conservation Area with camping - there's no Provincial Park options in that area.

Going north - you can either:
1. Follow the Niagara Escarpment north to Tobermory and take the Chi Chi Mon ferry across to Manitoulin Island. A scenic route with good hikes, views and camping options (Bruce Peninsula National Park, Cypress Lake PP -- both, try to book ahead. Bruce might have non-reservable sites too). Manitoulin is particularly quiet and hops you up to Espanola where you'll head west to the Sault. At Espanola, you'll be rejoining route #2.
2. Head straight north through what we call Muskoka or cottage country. Friday's are _busy_ on the highway - better off backroading north from Guelph. You might miss this traffic though.
- there are some great provincial parks north of Parry Sound: Killbear and Grundy Lake are both nice. Killarney is stunning, but an hour off the main road. At Sudbury, you'll head west on the Transcan, joining up with route #1.
Other sites:
- French River PP is a nice stop with a short hike in to a waterfall that is more historic than spectacular shall we say. It's the historic fur trade route.
- Sudbury - the Big Nickel - worth a quick stop. 25 years ago, the whole Sudbury area was essentially denuded by pollution. Great to see trees and such returning

Rejoined:
- Chutes PP in Massey, ON is small and great! We stayed there last summer and really enjoyed it.
- From there, you're striking distance to the Sault and the bridge back to the States.

Have a great trip!

PS - great mechanic in Orangeville, ON if needed - Total Mechanic Services.
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

I'm 30 minutes from I-94 in southeast Wi, if you need a spot to camp, take a break, or whatever my property is always open for a bus. I'm near 2 public airports and 2 private ones so we see all sorts of cool planes before and after the fly in.
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Ride_On, that post is pure gold! Many thanks. It's good to know about Total Mechanic Services. We'll be near that neighborhood on Thursday.

We have reservations on the Chi Chi Mon ferry on Friday afternoon, so our route pretty much matches your option 1. Smile I looked today and the ferry is now booked solid that day! We will indeed cross back into the US at Sault Ste. Marie. I will check out as many of your recommendations as I can!

wiscokid, thank you for sharing your space with us. We plan to return to NJ below the Great Lakes, which should send us nearby, probably on Sunday the 29th. If you're around, I'd like to stop by just to say hi. I'll message you closer to the mark.

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

make a stop for a treat at Lucky's stand in Spanish, On
https://goo.gl/maps/TXqJmDTsT872
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Check with your sell phone provider about Roaming charges in Canada.
One guy came home to a $350 bill for Roaming and he never even crossed the border.
Safe travels
Tcash
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

If you have spare time when crossing at The Sault (say Soo) On the Canadian side go to the Bush Plane Museum and on the US side take a Locks tour.

I would assume you have an EzPass, if you do add the bus and bring it. =If not get one. The savings on tolls and the option of high speed tolling makes it worth it.

Do the West bypass around Chicago on the way home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Awesome! Lucky's: tagged on Google Maps. Verizon: set with TravelPass (five bucks a day to access data and minutes, and you're only charged on days you use it). EZ-Pass? In the Sault? Who knew? I'm bringing it! Also tagged the Bush Plane Museum and Soo Locks Boat Tours.

This is going to be fun! Smile Thanks!

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

As a heads up... Ontario has been seriously dry this summer, so you are likely to encounter burn bans en route. This means no open flames - stoves are okay, but no campfires.

On Manitoulin Island, two classics are the Cup and Saucer Trail and Bridal Veil Falls. The latter is still a neat attraction, even if it's only a sprinkle. Plus, it is literally right beside the road.

In Massey, if you go to Chutes Prov Park, it's a nice hike/walk on the trail that goes upriver, plus... you may be into blueberry season! There's swimming in the river below the main falls too. Very refreshing!

Have a great trip!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

TomC wrote:
EZ-Pass? In the Sault? Who knew? I'm bringing it!

This is going to be fun! Smile Thanks!

EZ_Pass is for tollways in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York. They take it at the Peace Bridge crossing into Ontario now. I just got back from Maine and an EZ-Pass makes the trip so much faster and the discounted tolls are nice.

There are also many things to see and do in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. State/National forest areas, old mine sites...

For a real adventure on the return trip, book passage on the SS Badger. It is a coal fired railroad ferry converted to haul vehicles and passengers. It runs between Manitowoc, WI and Ludington, MI. https://www.ssbadger.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HereToGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Do the West bypass around Chicago on the way home.

Would avoid Chicago like the plague, especially in an old VW bus, you will get slaughtered on the freeways.

This is from personal experience, ymmv.

The ferry across the lake might be a better option.
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Day 1 was lovely. It took a while to get out of the annoying NJ traffic, but we were treated to rolling farmland and blue skies in PA and NY. We've set up shop in Stony Brook SP and are enjoying a cup of tea by a babbling brook. Perhaps a hike after. 🙂

I'm still getting used to posting from my phone, do I'll post more as I figure it out.

Thanks to all for your guidance!

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

You are welcome to camp at my place. I'm located about 40 miles north of Niagara Falls. I'm just 10km.(you have to remember you are in Canada ) off the major artery to Sarnia or Tobermory. Great country setting,quiet,awesome views and a pool. PM me if you are interested

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Resist the urge Tom take the interstates and take route 36 up through to US20 and see small town upstate NY. A lot easier to refuel and food at healthy stops than the I90 grind.

Finger Lakes is beautiful country and you got a perfect weather week, too.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

Leveling blocks and Indoor outdoor carpet, your set up.
Nice pic.
Save travels
Tcash
TomC Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Airventure 2018 - NJ to Oshkosh, WI via Ontario Reply with quote

We're back! Sorry I didn't post from the road more, but it was just too hard to do on a phone.

Anyway, the trip was a great success. We had a great time along the way, a great time at Airventure in Oshkosh, and a quick trip home. The bus ran beautifully, with only two tiny exceptions. Smile

Here are some highlights!

As I posted before, the first stop was Stony Brook SP, Dansville, NY. Great place: babbling brook, cool weather, very few bugs.

We made a stop at Niagara Falls. The US side was cheesy, expensive, and had no parking left. The Canadian side was much nicer and had better views! Crossing into Canada was a simple matter as we we both had passports and all kinds of other unnecessary documentation.

That night we camped at Elora Gorge Park (Thanks, Ride_On!). If you camp there, be sure to bring a big inner tube with you, or maybe a kayak. The creek/river that flows through has excellent rapids!

The bus decided to exhibit the “sticky solenoid” syndrome on this trip. A few hammer taps and we were on our way. We also tried to park facing downhill for easy pushing. Happily, the solenoid tended to stick only when hot, and usually cooperated in the morning.

We pressed on to Tobermory, ON to pick up the Chi Cheemaun ferry. We had booked passage for 3:40pm, but waiting would eat up most of our day, so we tried to get on the 11am. In the standby lane, we were the first ones refused. Just missed it!

Hanging out in Tobermory was quite pleasant, actually. By 3:40pm we were loaded on the ferry and enjoyed a nice 2-hour crossing of Lake Huron.

We drove a little later than we planned so that we could make it to Chutes Provincial Park (thanks again, Ride_On!).

Chutes got its name from logging days, where huge chutes carried logs past the falls there. Today, there are only the falls and great hiking.

At camp, a fellow with a heavy German accent stopped by to give us an inventory of all the VW bus variants in the park (there were three). This is his T5:

We stopped at Lucky’s as danfromsyr recommended, but we were not so lucky and they were closed. Next time!

Crossed back into the US at Sault Sainte Marie. We had been making up for lost time waiting for the ferry, so there wasn’t much time to see all the wonderful stuff around these twin cities (like the Bush Plane Museum that ToolBox mentioned).

We camped at Gladstone Bay in Michigan. Cheapest campground yet!

In the morning we stopped for gas, started back up, and the engine died. When I tried to start it again, I noticed a lack of fuel pump sound. When I thought about it, I couldn’t remember the last time I heard the fuel pump. We had been traveling without one for I don’t know how long. This bus has a 2.0L with twin Weber IDF 40s, and evidently gravity was enough to keep going when the pump failed. Perhaps the use of the accelerator pump during starting drained the carb bowls. After breakfast it started up just fine and we proceeded about a mile to an AutoZone and parked in the Pizza Hut next door. We wouldn’t starve, and there were spare parts available if we needed them. My son volunteered to swap out the pump and we were soon on our way, accompanied by the soft sounds of a new fuel pump.

We made it to Oshkosh! What an overwhelming experience. I was ready for a huge event, but this one was *really* huge. It was also an airplane geek’s fantasy come true. I could post zillions of airplane pix, but this is a VW forum, so I’ll try to stay calm. Smile

This was home base for the next few days. It turned out to be in a 24-hour generator area, so as more big rigs moved in, we moved out and found a quieter spot.

It not a VW bus, but it’s really cool bus anyway. I assume it has air shocks, and I know for certain it has cool underneath lighting.

There were many Beetles serving as event vehicles. They came in all years, and some of the pre-’67s were even still running 6v. This one was named “Yellow 1”

The “Brown Gate”

A row of P-51 Mustangs

A row of A-1 Skyraiders on the flight line

Many brought bikes to get from their campsite to the flight line. Here are some of them.

We learned a bit about gas welding at a workshop

We watched daily airshows. Here, one of two of the only flying B-29 bombers in the world takes off. Gave me chills.

I’ve seen photos of this… vehicle... before at Oshkosh, and here it was again. I regret I did not get a chance to talk to the owner.

All good things must come to an end, and as the show week wound down, we got back on the road, this time under the Great Lakes and straight back to NJ (avoiding Chicago as HereToGo recommended). The occasional train delay was a welcome pause.

At one fuel stop, we managed to leave the gas cap behind. Of course no one answered the phone when we called and of course the cap was not there when we returned. But the following day my son missed an entrance to the Interstate, so we had to turn around. (There were too many traffic lights on the secondary roads in this part of the world.) From the corner of my eye I spied a Eurovan parked at a car repair place. Then a Vanagon, then another, then a late bay. Holy cow, we need to stop here!

We walked in and knew we were in the right place.

Jeff (2nd from left) showed us around Streetsboro Foreign Auto (Streetsboro, OH) and pointed us to the parts yard in the back. It was Treasure Island to me. Elmar (left), the owner, showed up a little while later. He had opened the shop back in 1975 or so. He was also a pilot, and had been to Oshkosh many times. We chatted for a long while, and I left with not only a gas cap, but a few other impossible-to-find parts as well! Kismet!

The rest of the trip home was pretty direct. The bus hummed along happily and soon we were pulling into the driveway.

2146 total miles, one fuel pump, and one gas cap. About 18 mpg. The bus did very well.

Thanks to everyone who offered us guidance, warnings, tip, and even the use of their driveways! I would recommend this route to others, as well as each of the places we visited along the way.

77 Westy
72 Beetle Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: