Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission grumbling
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Yup, The cut out in the washer is for the reverse idler and the cut outs in the pinion bearing are so you can peen the pinion nut .

A trick is to get an old pinion bearing and grind it down so it slips into the bore easily , make sure the bearing is located fully then mark the diff side of the housing where the cut outs are , that way when you finally fit the gear stack for good you can see where the pinion bearing is in relation to the flats lining up with the housing .
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Slow down,, be patient,,, If you want, next week you can bring all your stuff here and leave with a built trans. About 4 hours away drive time. Just let me know the day.

Too funny!

I want to rebuild one of these trannies. Had the opportunity to learn when I was wrenching at Dick Roy's. Kicking myself in the ass for that. Instead, I got thrust into rebuilding automatic trannies, 7004R, Turbo 350, C4 all domestics.

Got to tear a couple of Toyota trannies down, but there again. Instead of being able to rebuild them, I would get yanked to go figure out why the 735i has a flat spot when depressing the throttle at 60mph. Driveability issues were my bread and butter for years!

Want to be able to rebuild a mabual tranny, then I can say I have repaired every part of Bugs. I mean every part! It is my last hill to climb.

Wanna answer my question and support my quest or talk?

I know you know the answer! I am picking up that big tool that sits between the diff bearings to measure pinion depth. Found one, locally, through word of mouth! So awesome! Hoping to get it by the weekend. Damn, thing is like gold in cost! All part of the price to pay for the education! Right?

What I meant was come up here and you build it with me watching over you, it would get done the same day, with welded hubs, steel fork ect. Then you would learn enough to build your next one with confidence.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Slow down,, be patient,,, If you want, next week you can bring all your stuff here and leave with a built trans. About 4 hours away drive time. Just let me know the day.

Too funny!

I want to rebuild one of these trannies. Had the opportunity to learn when I was wrenching at Dick Roy's. Kicking myself in the ass for that. Instead, I got thrust into rebuilding automatic trannies, 7004R, Turbo 350, C4 all domestics.

Got to tear a couple of Toyota trannies down, but there again. Instead of being able to rebuild them, I would get yanked to go figure out why the 735i has a flat spot when depressing the throttle at 60mph. Driveability issues were my bread and butter for years!

Want to be able to rebuild a mabual tranny, then I can say I have repaired every part of Bugs. I mean every part! It is my last hill to climb.

I know you know the answer! I am picking up that big tool that sits between the diff bearings to measure pinion depth. Found one, locally, through word of mouth! So awesome! Hoping to get it by the weekend. Damn, thing is like gold in cost! All part of the price to pay for the education! Right?

What I meant was come up here and you build it with me watching over you, it would get done the same day, with welded hubs, steel fork ect. Then you would learn enough to build your next one with confidence.

Your on! I need to clear a few days in my schedule. I will PM you later in the week with some dates. I would absolutely love the education, with the first hand knowledge. I did not get that out of your post. It came across kind of demeaning. No worries! I fully understand now. What is the price for admission. Your time is worth money!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Too funny!

Your on! I need to clear a few days in my schedule. I will PM you later in the week with some dates. I would absolutely love the education, with the first hand knowledge. I did not get that out of your post. It came across kind of demeaning. No worries! I fully understand now. What is the price for admission. Your time is worth money!

My posts always sound demeaning, I'm brutally honest and people don't like that. Don't sweat the price, we'll hash that out later, you'll be happy.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I think this should be a stickies quote .

mcmscott " My posts always sound demeaning, I'm brutally honest and people don't like that. Don't sweat the price, we'll hash that out later, you'll be happy."

Very Happy Very Happy
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

A dude would have to be COMPLETLY NUTS to pass on an offer like that one! Wink
Jim you lucky dog!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Jim you lucky dog!

Funny thing is I have offered that many times before, some take me up on it while the majority do not. I might be an asshole, but I really do like helping people.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Jim you lucky dog!

Funny thing is I have offered that many times before, some take me up on it while the majority do not. I might be an asshole, but I really do like helping people.

That is a very kind gesture. Bravo sir!
Thank for once again renewing my faith in the VW community.
I try to help when I can. I have even done work on a car recently, where I spent my own money and time to get it reliable.
This was for a friend that didn't have the time to get his car right. But has plenty of money to pay a shop. Only to get the car back running shitty.
I corrected allot of issues for the price of a great hamburger!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Quote:
I have offered that many times before, some take me up on it while the majority do not

That is a very generous offer. I almost wish I had a broken trans
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Many times Scott has done some really nice things for people. Actually doing something rather then just talking is one of his specialties. His funny posts are just a bonus Laughing

Hey did anyone notice who built the sick @ss 2247cc Type 1 Engine AND transmission for this months Hot VW's Type 34 feature?

Cool Cool Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Many times Scott has done some really nice things for people. Actually doing something rather then just talking is one of his specialties. His funny posts are just a bonus Laughing

Hey did anyone notice who built the sick @ss 2247cc Type 1 Engine AND transmission for this months Hot VW's Type 34 feature?

Cool Cool Cool

Awww, you saw that, thanks Paul. You should see some of Shaun's other cars I work on

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
His funny posts are just a bonus

What you may consider funny, other people consider rude and offensive.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
jpaull wrote:

That is the yin and the yang of the world. One persons understanding of the written word, without the aids of facial gesticulation and tone of voice, leave the reader with their imagination, as to direction from and meaning of, what is being stated.

Everyone needs to remain neutral. Benefit of the doubt must be extended. And above all else, explain your understanding of what you just read. Especially if you feel singled out or wronged. That typically gets a opposite response in defense or a further outburst, relieving all doubt as to the first comment!

I grew up in a home, that a thick skin was required. It takes a lot to get me upset, but when I read something and the tone is off, I try to respond appropriately. I am not perfect, but I do try.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

My tool 289d is due in today at some point!!!! Been waiting for a while!

I will get some pics up of it in action, after it arrives.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Ha!! Like everyone hasn't had to sift through your ego-filled "I'm right and your stupid" style posts and find the good nuggets of info right? Even though I see you as a ass sometimes, I still see the good that you are sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Isnt getting the right tool for the job fun? Being able to tackle new parts yourself is very cool. Hope your able to make it over to Scotts soon and get that bad boy together. Learning from guys that have done 1000's is priceless.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Isnt getting the right tool for the job fun? Being able to tackle new parts yourself is very cool. Hope your able to make it over to Scotts soon and get that bad boy together. Learning from guys that have done 1000's is priceless.

Won’t get to Scott till middle of August. I am sooo looking forward to working with a transmission expert! Wifey is a little bit upset because I am missing the first day of a large family get together, that happens every year. But she is happy that I will finally get the transmission done! I am sure she is sick of my talking about the damn thing.

I am going to play with it for the next few weekends and see how deep I can get myself in. That way I will for sure need assistance! Don’t want to drive for 4 hours to only take a perfectly rebuilt transmission to get checked, well maybe that would be a good thing!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
jpaull wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Won’t get to Scott till middle of August. I am sooo looking forward to working with a transmission expert! Wifey is a little bit upset because I am missing the first day of a large family get together, that happens every year. But she is happy that I will finally get the transmission done! I am sure she is sick of my talking about the damn thing.

I am going to play with it for the next few weekends and see how deep I can get myself in. That way I will for sure need assistance! Don’t want to drive for 4 hours to only take a perfectly rebuilt transmission to get checked, well maybe that would be a good thing!

I noticed something with you, that also I bet Scott noticed. Your effort is tremendous, you don't just talk and ask, your out there working on everything and seeing how far you can get before you get stuck.

Many others, ask questions before they even try. They see the obstacles before they even turn a wrench, and set around asking questions and debating. You do everything you can before you ask for help. Its a very respected quality.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
jpaull wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Carefull of what you do, you can create alot of unneeded work. You should bring your other 3.88 gearbox, maybe even order a diff and cover for it. But Don't take it apart!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

The other box is in the Bug being driven around. I still wanted to drive the Bug a little rough, so I got that used tranny.

Are you saying I should purchase another one before heading your direction? I can. I just have to find one. Took me a few weeks to find the one in the Bug.

Scott, don't worry. I wont be messing anything up, more than it already is.

I just want to see how that tool interacts with the tranny. It almost looks like it needs a set of bearings on it!?!? But I am unsure, as I have only been able to see it in the wooden box.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: