Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pressure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
This whole fuel pressure measurement issue is so !!!

Trying to find a gauge that can measure 3psi accurately is very hard. 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, psi, most cheap gauges would not distinguish the difference accurately. Most are 15psi miniumum FSD

Unless a gauge has a calibration certificate it means nothing. This means you are going to pay US$150-200 plus for the gauge. Who pays that.

For those who dispute this. Have they had their gauge tested by a certified laboratory. Check the price - its probable a lot more.

Just because the cheap gauge indicates 3psi means nothing.

Just for kicks, I did a search on Australian eBay, and had no trouble finding inexpensive name-brand 0-15psi gauges. Here's one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW-FUEL-OR-OIL-P...0760958804

They're plenty accurate for setting fuel pressure on our old carbureted cars. You just need to get it in the ballpark where it's not overwhelming the carb or starving it at higher RPMs.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

had a question if anyone knows...is there a decent fuel pressure regulator out there? i don’t like the fact that i have to stack soooo many gaskets. i’ve heard too many bad things about the empi brand regulators so i want to stay away from that one.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
had a question if anyone knows...is there a decent fuel pressure regulator out there? i don’t like the fact that i have to stack soooo many gaskets. i’ve heard too many bad things about the empi brand regulators so i want to stay away from that one.

What is the thickness of the gasket stack you have right now ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:

Better to get an OG fuel pump (two is even better), and a couple of the new rebuild kits from Wolfsburg West that are now reportedly greatly improved.
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:

Better to get an OG fuel pump (two is even better), and a couple of the new rebuild kits from Wolfsburg West that are now reportedly greatly improved.

that’s ultimately the plan but i’m really short for money at the moment. this is more of a temporary fix until i can afford a better quality one
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:

What is the thickness of the gasket stack you have right now ?

i’m not sure since i’m not home at the moment. i’m pretty sure i’ve got 7+ gaskets under there though
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

If you have a generator style fuel pump that is straight ( not the angled alternator style ), your pushrod should be 108 mm / 4.252" long. It should stick out of the fuel pump spacer 13mm at its highest point ( TDC, I believe ). If you have those measurements and the fuel pump still puts out over 3 psi, you'll have to live with it or find another pump ( original VW being the best ).

JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
If you have a generator style fuel pump that is straight ( not the angled alternator style ), your pushrod should be 108 mm / 4.252" long. It should stick out of the fuel pump spacer 13mm at its highest point ( TDC, I believe ). If you have those measurements and the fuel pump still puts out over 3 psi, you'll have to live with it or find another pump ( original VW being the best ).

so you don’t think it’s worth getting a regulator in the mean time? don’t have 250+ to spend on a og fuel pump. pretty sure it was around 13mm when i measured but put out like 8psi without gaskets.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Rebuildable fuel pumps are as low as $10.00, but let us say $15.00, with $5.00 shipping

Rebuild kit is $35.00, and let us say $20.00 for shipping.

That is $75.00....

$250.00 minus $70.00 = $180.00 unaccounted funds.

So how/where are you loosing $180.00????????

Even if you get two of each it will be less than $150.00 figuring combined shipping of parts, that is still a $100.00 less.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

so you don’t think it’s worth getting a regulator in the mean time? don’t have 250+ to spend on a og fuel pump. pretty sure it was around 13mm when i measured but put out like 8psi without gaskets.

A regulator would work fine. The fuel pump might work "as is" until you can get a new pump though (as long as the fuel pump pressure is not enough to overpower the needle and seat in the carburetor.)

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Looks like WW is out of the kits right now, but CIP1 has kits for $24.00.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Rebuildable fuel pumps are as low as $10.00, but let us say $15.00, with $5.00 shipping

Are you talking about JOGR in the classified section ?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Are you talking about JOGR in the classified section ?

Yes, and DutchboyVW has same for $7.00.

Here is out the door rebuilt for $65.00.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2117692

Just add a diaphragm kit...
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Does WW routinely run out of kits ? If so, how long does it usually take for them to get them back in stock ? Isn't the $24 CIP1 kit for a different model fuel pump ?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Does WW routinely run out of kits ? If so, how long does it usually take for them to get them back in stock ? Isn't the $24 CIP1 kit for a different model fuel pump ?

Would not be able to tell you.

40 HP and the later 1500/1600 pumps use same parts from diaphragm on down. Most times the diaphragm is the failed part.

The 40HP style pumps were used well into 1500 engines into the 67 or 68 model years.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Be mindful of any "cheap" VW pump or any part. Here's someone else's recent posting of a cheap fuel pump.

Yup, spending $15 to $25 dollars for a pump can save a few bucks. But, what's your time worth when it does this. How much is the tow home?

I've rebuilt hundreds of the German Pierburg fuel pumps. They are as good as new after rebuild if you use the good Effbe rebuild kits. You can reuse all the hard parts in them as well. The crap kit Cip-1 sells are terrible and put out too much fuel pressure.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2190238

I find these NOS pumps occasionally. These are excellent fuel pumps and were made under license from Pierburg about 20 years ago. They are NLA now.

Another option if you don't want to gamble with a cheap pump or a more expensive professionally rebuilt original German Pierburg.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Rebuild kit is $35.00, and let us say $20.00 for shipping.

That is $75.00....

$250.00 minus $70.00 = $180.00 unaccounted funds.

So how/where are you loosing $180.00????????

Even if you get two of each it will be less than $150.00 figuring combined shipping of parts, that is still a $100.00 less.

that’s because i was looking for already restored/rebuilt pumps because i’m a novice when it comes to cars. would it be easy to throw a diaphragm kit in that $65 one you linked?? also the nos one that wcfvw69 linked looks pretty good to me for $85. just wouldn’t have the money for another week or 2
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Thanks Eric&Barb and wcfvw69 !! Good stuff.

JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Be mindful of any "cheap" VW pump or any part. Here's someone else's recent posting of a cheap fuel pump.

Yup, spending $15 to $25 dollars for a pump can save a few bucks. But, what's your time worth when it does this. How much is the tow home?

I've rebuilt hundreds of the German Pierburg fuel pumps. They are as good as new after rebuild if you use the good Effbe rebuild kits. You can reuse all the hard parts in them as well. The crap kit Cip-1 sells are terrible and put out too much fuel pressure.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2190238

I find these NOS pumps occasionally. These are excellent fuel pumps and were made under license from Pierburg about 20 years ago. They are NLA now.

Another option if you don't want to gamble with a cheap pump or a more expensive professionally rebuilt original German Pierburg.

i would definitely be interested in that nos one you listed if it’s still available when i have the money!! just kinda have to figure out what’s wrong with my car first before i put more money into it
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pressure Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

40 HP and the later 1500/1600 pumps use same parts from diaphragm on down. Most times the diaphragm is the failed part.

Agree the diaphragm/s are usually the culprit when the pumps fail. The dome top pumps have the main diaphragm w/spring. The square tops have the small upper diaphragm as well.

Eric&Barb wrote:

The 40HP style pumps were used well into 1500 engines into the 67 or 68 model years.

On bugs, the 40hp dome top pumps were last used on 1965 models before they went to the new square top fuel pump in 1966 models with the built in fuel shut off valve.

On buses, the 40hp dome top pump was used all the way through production of the type 1 engine equipped buses in the USA through 1971. In 1972, USA buses came with the type 4 engine and a different version of the Pierburg square top pump for that engine. Square top fuel pumps were never factory installed on buses in the USA. The were used on Bugs, Ghias and Type 3's though.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: