Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickuptrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

cant wait to see more bodywork and exited to see how the motor looks in there, keep it up!
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

The fabricator will be another 2 months finishing up a '37 Studebaker, then he will get back on my Fiat, until then I'm going to just do the tranny mod upgrade so that will atleast get done. ..I'm hoping that my tranny builder has a 5 rib case to upgrade from my 3 rib. ..I'm pretty excited and can't wait to get the tranny done.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Ok...spoke with the tranny builder and was debating on going 091 vs the 002 5 rib upgrade...so the difference between the two would be about $3k more for the 091...since I already rebuilt the 3 rib and welded 3rd &4th gears I would be almost as strong as a 6 rib for half the cost...it just isn't worth $3k more to gain 1/3 more gear surface. ...besides, I'm not pushing around a 5k+lbs of Vanagon weight, my car should be closer to 1500lbs... I feel very confident in my tranny builder. Very Happy
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Thought I would update you on my latest accomplishments. ..first thing I did was score a TDI donor, started right up and ran great and looked ok to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks can be deceiving though, it was all the little things about the car that didn't work plus it also had a salvage title. ..so I did my part to complete the theme Laughing

Motor is out!

I will never cut up another car to complete my build. ..this makes the 3rd vehicle involved in my Frankenstein that I hauled off to the scrapper...motor has 196k and doesn't even smoke at all, not even when I mashed on the throttle. ..it just pulled hard and kept pulling strong.
Back soon
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

So much more to post. ..oh Shocked ...almost forgot, it was 105 degrees outside when I was cutting up the car. ..it took me 4 days to dismantle the damn thing. ..very little tools were harmed Laughing ...a 4" cut off wheel and a Sawzall was the main tools used.

Take a look at how I carefully removed the axles Laughing

Now for some transaxle pix Shocked

Timing is done through this hole.

Factory VW part number that never made it to the US.

Some pics of the TBD Torque Bias Diff

No clutches to wear out, full posi until you corner.
All parts were carefully selected to use the best of all 002 years.

Very clear 5 rib with a tight bore

Got a chromoly lock ring

Bought a reconditioned gear housing from Weddleindustries

Used the better reverse selector that supports the gear better.

Longer input shaft

Shift forks carefully selected for tight clearances but not too tight

Making adjustments

Almost finished

All new synchros

If you look closely you can see the last minute fix to save the case...even though Tony had the gear housing previously together 2 other times to set the pinion depth the pinion nut decided to take a spin. ..this was a 2.5 hour back set. ...so we drilled and tapped 4 set screws and used a old pinion bearing housing to set the screws at just the right height and it worked like a charm and got her to torque to 160 lbs, no problem Rolling Eyes

Some final assembly pictures.

Now that is one bad ass looking trans...oh Shocked ...forgot to mention that the diff is a 091 with a Weddleindustries conversion kit to fit in a 002...so I guess it's kind of a hybrid with a Brazilian flair Laughing
Hope you all enjoyed the pictures. ..thanks for stopping by.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Just another update. ..already sent ECU and harness from donor car to Canada to fast forward. ..getting a stage 5 tune, a big turbo along with a 4 bar map sensor and custom built wiring harness. ..some cool features I will also get is cruise control and A/C...I'll be the only baja driving across the desert without bustn a sweat. Laughing Laughing ...David said that I should see around 200hp+...my torque should be in the neighborhood of 400 ft lbs. ..I'll have to be gentle at first Razz
pickuptrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Keep it coming!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

That is a pretty good trans setup! I like the mish-mash of parts. It kind of reminds me of.... something.... oh yeah your car. Very Happy

2 observations:

The case to pinion bearing fit should be a .0015-.002" press fit, I'm worried either that was loose or the flanged pinion bearing nut was partially seizing on the threads as you were torquing it which is why the bearing spun. I am running about 230-250 ft-lbs on the same nut, and I suggest you might wish to do the same given the beating a diesel puts on a transaxle. (It's not too bad to get that far back into the transaxle if you decide to, just have to pull the diff.) Several professional and ex-professional transaxle builders have personally said to me that they intentionally overtorque the nut, one reputable trans builder said he "comes just sort of hanging off of a breaker bar" to tighten it.

Things I would do to an ALH TDI as a "while you're in there", having put a combined total of 420K on them in two different cars:

-Intake cleaning- take off the aluminum intake and get all the carbon poo out of there

-Pull Valve Covers to check for Cam Spalling (You either have it and need to fix it, or don't and will never need to worry)

-Timing belt, crank seal and cam seal, unless history is known
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
That is a pretty good trans setup! I like the mish-mash of parts. It kind of reminds me of.... something.... oh yeah your car. Very Happy

2 observations:

The case to pinion bearing fit should be a .0015-.002" press fit, I'm worried either that was loose or the flanged pinion bearing nut was partially seizing on the threads as you were torquing it which is why the bearing spun. I am running about 230-250 ft-lbs on the same nut, and I suggest you might wish to do the same given the beating a diesel puts on a transaxle. (It's not too bad to get that far back into the transaxle if you decide to, just have to pull the diff.) Several professional and ex-professional transaxle builders have personally said to me that they intentionally overtorque the nut, one reputable trans builder said he "comes just sort of hanging off of a breaker bar" to tighten it.

Things I would do to an ALH TDI as a "while you're in there", having put a combined total of 420K on them in two different cars:

-Intake cleaning- take off the aluminum intake and get all the carbon poo out of there

-Pull Valve Covers to check for Cam Spalling (You either have it and need to fix it, or don't and will never need to worry)

-Timing belt, crank seal and cam seal, unless history is known

I was planning on a complete clean up with new gaskets and seals as well as a 11mm pump upgrade. ..will also replace all timing components as well. ..as for the intake, I was planning on building my own aluminum version. ..doesn't look like a very complicated part to build using the gasket as a template to fabricate a flange for intake.

This is the exact reason I switched to a tdi power plant. ..my TF 1 case was getting so expensive! ...even if I threw 16k into the engine, my torque numbers still wouldn't be any where close to what the tdi will put out. ..I also wanted to drive the Fiat every day and with TF 1 case I'd be doing a over haul every 50-60k or every 2-3yrs...when I'm done investing money in the TDI, I'll be around 5k which is 1/3rd the cost of the TF 1...power output is expected to be between 210-240hp and torque in the 400 ft lbs!

Thanks for viewing. ..all comments are appreciated Very Happy
poeticlydead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

This is a crazy cool build.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

poeticlydead wrote:
This is a crazy cool build.

Thanks! Very Happy ...wait until you see my next creation Laughing Laughing ....there's definitely something wrong with me Twisted Evil
poeticlydead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Updates?

A good build is like a good book keeps you looking forward to the next chapter
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Sorry guys, no updates as I'm still out driving...only get 10 days at a time to work on the Fiat Abarth Baja. ..should be home first week of September. ..next time home will be to finish removable roll cage and get the new bell housing mounted on the car since the old bus mount no longer will work.
pickuptrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Update time?
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I apologize for the delay guys, I did get home but spent most of it finishing up the fab man's electrical in his shop...I was installing 2 1-phase to 3-phase inverters so that he can run his 3-phase equipment. ..those took way longer to setup than anticipated. ..I did get to work on my cage and got the outside roll bars installed but forgot to get some pics Crying or Very sad So I don't have any progress to share at this time. ..Bob however did convince me that building a custom A-arm front end would allow me some 12.5" vented disk brakes he has sitting around, I believe they are from a Infiniti Q something and the right bolt pattern for my wheels. ..I honestly don't know why I keep changing the build Embarassed ...I really need to get this finished...so...since the shop is finally up and running 99%, my next home time will allow me more dedicated effort put in my project.
Cool
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Until next time, safe travels!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here Laughing Laughing

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1972-HONDA-Z600-CUSTOM-4X4-222664

liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

What jacks me up about the Honda is that I had a 600 coupe with the round rear side windows, 2 cyl air cooled engine, PR10 tires and 4 speed shifter on the dash for years. I went to sell it and I couldn't give it away, this was around 88 or 89. After moving it around storing it from place to place I took 50 bucks for it. Yes, it ran and drove fine too. OF course now even shitty specimens bring 5 grand. I have a geo metro I'm sitting on now, I'd sell it but next week they'll go for 4 grand.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
What jacks me up about the Honda is that I had a 600 coupe with the round rear side windows, 2 cyl air cooled engine, PR10 tires and 4 speed shifter on the dash for years. I went to sell it and I couldn't give it away, this was around 88 or 89.....

I have a geo metro I'm sitting on now, I'd sell it but next week they'll go for 4 grand.

Sad story about the 600, but a Metro bringing anything decent? That’ll be the day! Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
I'll just leave this here Laughing Laughing

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1972-HONDA-Z600-CUSTOM-4X4-222664

Those 33” “wheels” look more like 44” tires that thing is so tiny!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: