Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93 EV- where to add freon?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
klr650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

sorry for the dumb question, but where is the correct place to add Freon- on top of the engine or under the wheel well? There seems to be two connections that fit the air charger.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

klr650 wrote:
sorry for the dumb question, but where is the correct place to add Freon- on top of the engine or under the wheel well? There seems to be two connections that fit the air charger.

I refilled mine from the top of the engine.

My 93 uses 134A, there is a sticker on the A/C lines indicating the refrigerant type.

The low side where I refilled my system is the larger port with the blue cap.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

I did the exact same as Markcm2.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Usually the can fitting will only fit the low side fitting, because the high side can make the can explode. The low side fitting is between the evaporator and the compressor, the high side between the compressor and condenser.

Why do you think you need R134? AC systems don't need topping up, they need the leaks fixed. Too much Freon is as bad or worse than too little. The little pressure gauge on the can is a poor diagnostic of Freon charge, too.
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Abscate is right. Just adding refrigerant is usually a bad bandaid fix.

These a/c systems must use a specific amount of refrigerant measured by weight, not by pressure. Pressure readings can only tell you what the system is doing between the compressor and evaporator, which isn't a good indicator of how much refrigerant is in the system. Just adding refrigerant can lead to a serious overfill situation which is dangerous--as in exploding parts.

I would recommend finding out why your system is leaking, or if that is even the cause for your system not working. For example, do you know if you have a working compressor? Do you know if both of your electric radiator fans are working?

Also, if your system has a leak in it, then not only has refrigerant been escaping but it's most likely that it will also have been exposed to atmosphere inside the system. Moisture from air inside your system combines with refrigerant to form an acidic mixture which will destroy the system from the inside. That is why you should start off from a sealed system that has been cleaned out, proper amount of lubricating PAG oil added, and the system completely evacuated, before refilling the proper refrigerant by weight.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

True, if you are ready for the bill you will get from an AC shop, several hundred minimum in my experience if you turn them loose on an inspection, repair and refill.

A few intermediate steps could be:

Firestone is offering an AC inspection for $9.99 right now. Be prepared for the up-sell though. This wont really tell you much more than how much refrigerant you have and they will offer to put dye in the system.

You could also choose to refill your system on your own with a refrigerant that has dye in it and look for the leak yourself.

Assuming you find it with dye and are ready to service the system yourself, some AC shops will draw your system down for you and give you a credit toward refilling.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Here mine will draw off the Freon for free. I test mine under vacuum before I charge it so I know I don't have leaks.

Once you have blown your compressor with too much charge, liquid in it, too much PAG, and spread metal throughout your HVAC, the shop charge will seem cheap.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Help me if you can please. '95 EVC the AC doesn't blow cold and I can't hear the compressor engage. Fan turns on.

Exactly one year ago today the compressor and drier were replaced by a quality VW shop, Mr. Mechanic in Ft Collins, CO, recharged.

I checked the charge level with a replacement can (Arctic-Freeze), it's in the red zone.

Is the compressor viewed/accessed from underneath?
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

See above. The gauge on cans are not good tools for troubleshooting AC
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
See above. The gauge on cans are not good tools for troubleshooting AC

Yah, I saw that. I wanted to see if it had any charge at all, was hoping it didn't and a recharge would get the compressor to engage.

This is for the '95, I want to get the AC working before I put it up for sale. The '03 the AC blows pretty cold and it shows "in the red" on the same can guage, so there's something else wrong with the '95 and I know not what, and I know zero about working on AC systems.

From what I've read if the fan works when the dash slide control is moved to the AC settings (no button to push on a '95, and the fan does work), then that eliminates the electrical system as the problem source.

I guess I'll have to remove the belly plate so I can see the compressor???
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

You won't recover costs of fixing an AC - it is better to get a diagnosis (written, paid for) and tell owner the true story. If its something cheap, you are in luck but if its been a long time since it worked it will be a 1500-2000 bill to refurbish at an AC place.

You can recover the costs of the tools to service it, and then you pick up a skill too. Always valuable. I just did 4k of AC work on SWMBOs BMW for $300 in parts. Best part was she doesn't want a new car now, either.

Patching it to blow cold and selling will rain karmic hell on you for seven and forty years.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You won't recover costs of fixing an AC - it is better to get a diagnosis (written, paid for) and tell owner the true story. If its something cheap, you are in luck but if its been a long time since it worked it will be a 1500-2000 bill to refurbish at an AC place.

You can recover the costs of the tools to service it, and then you pick up a skill too. Always valuable. I just did 4k of AC work on SWMBOs BMW for $300 in parts. Best part was she doesn't want a new car now, either.

Patching it to blow cold and selling will rain karmic hell on you for seven and forty years.

I'm beginning to think I'll sell the '95 with non-operative AC. I've tried to trblshoot best I can with zero knowledge of AC systems.

I know the fan operates fine with the AC control in the ON position, I swapped out the 140 relay still no 12v. The 30A fuse is good, the fan operates in AC mode, there is refrigerant in the system.

I asked on this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703392 if maybe the J246 "38" relay could be the culprit.

I don't mind putting a 38 relay in if it will get me 12v at the green/brown wires that run the compressor clutch.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

If you do get it to run, quickly check the AC pressure to make sure there is some refrigerant in the system

Once it gets low enough, PAG is no longer distributed in the AC, and you are living on the graces of whatever PAG is residing in the compressor - once that oil runs out.....the end is nigh.
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a diagram on where I can add some freon? Trying to find something on the web but figured y'all might have something handy

Last edited by Ellioup on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Coolant is fir the engine cooling system.

Refrigerant or “ Freon” is in the air conditioning or climate system.

Which do you need?
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV- where to add freon? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Coolant is fir the engine cooling system.

Refrigerant or “ Freon” is in the air conditioning or climate system.

Which do you need?

Woops, yup Freon! I have a 93
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: