Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

CO folks may have already posted this about Blazer. I searched but didn’t see anything.

Two pieces of info:

-I sold my Vanagon a few months ago. We have purchased a Sportsmobile. I stopped in at Blazer today to tell Larry thanks for keeping me on the road for the last 8-9 years. He told me my visit was well-timed, because they are in the process of closing. His lot is already totally devoid of parts vans!! He’s retiring after 40 years. Says he’s going to miss the place and all his great customers.

-Other piece - I sold my Vanagon, which I already mentioned. Thanks to everyone here for the sense of community and for also helping to keep me and my family on the road.

See you down the trail.

-SD

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Bummer
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Kind of you to check in and update us. Be sure to keep us apprised of where you're traveling, as even though you'll be driving the new rig, the campfire conversations would stay the same!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Another piece of anecdata to bolster my "5 years" lemma
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

In Biblical years? Wink

This is a resourceful lot with lotsa commonality, we be okay. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Just another example that Time relentlessly marches on.

As it does it claims us all. Sone sooner, some later.

I still remember 60's era Beetles as new on the showroom floor.
I worked on many before they aged horribly.

The numbers of those who remember as I do shrink almost daily.

The same is happening to Vanagons...... every shop with experienced guys will be sold, change personnel or close.

It is something you cannot change or stop.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

I’ll miss those guys. They’re 2 miles from my house and super convenient, but Larry did tell me if I ever put a Subaru motor in my Vanagon he was done with me. Good thing I did it as he retired.

Blazer Automotive will be missed. Sniff, sniff...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Every vanagon owner has plenty of time to own the repair of their car,but they need to start learning now.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

What flavor Sportsmobile did you get?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Brown, Duh. Very Happy

— Colin Chapman
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Is Blazer recommending another shop that is vanagon freindly? I have friends and customers in Denver that will surely need another wrench. Thank, Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Called Larry just now and said my respectful goodbyes, meant them. Blazer opened in 1979, and I always considered them as honest, professional, and skilled as mechanics could be. Larry and Jim loaded me down with good advice and helpful feedback, and did a lot to make my experiences with Winston as happy as they've been.

He DOES have a recommendation for his customers, the fellow to whom he sold his seventeen parts vans. It's

https://www.urabus.net/contact

John Buschman
3063 S. Tejon St Unit B
Englewood, Co. 80110

Tel: 303-921-0601
[email protected]

which is off Dartmouth and Tejon. For some reason I don't think he'd be backward about Subaru Conversions.

Shocked

Larry praised his honesty. Buschman has HIGH ratings on Yelp and his website says he loves Vanagons. Well, who DOESN'T?

Blazer's last day for new work will be July 31st, they'll be cleaning the grand old garage out through August and taking phone messages.

The only constant in life is change. I meant it when I told Larry, Jim, and those skilled old guys who made Winston run so well, that it was well done.

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Please pass my best wishes onto Larry for his retirement !!
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Well, they gave it a shot. The auto biz is tough racket and it's really no shame that they are throwing in the towel after just 40 years Very Happy . They tried. At least they gave it a reasonable amount of time to see if working on VWs was for them.

They will be missed!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Lost their shirts forgetting to invoice for shop supplies
WeekenderWarriors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Hi all-

Just an FYI- Urabus has relocated to Buena Vista, at least according to their website. I shot them an email to confirm, but have yet to get a response.

Anyone have any other strong recommendations for shops in Denver/Boulder? We’re in Golden, so either will work.

Thanks!

'86 VW Wolfsburg Weekender
'04 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
'11 Volvo XC70 T6
'18 VW AllTrack SE
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

I have used Painter’s Grinding for service on my Vanagon. It’s pretty close.
http://www.paintersgrinding.com
Painter’s Grinding
831 S Jason Street
Denver CO 80223

Not sure how they feel about Subaru conversions.

Comprehensive Car Care on Evans will service Vanagons with Subaru engines:
Comprehensive Car Care
701 E Evans Ave
Denver, CO 80210
(303) 722-0888

I don’t think they have a web site.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Thank you for the bad news about Urubus. Sincerely. Painter's ONCE, I heard, would not work on Vanagons, but I saw one on their lot when I drove past them during Winston's restoration, and they, too, are legend.

These guys:

Jeno's Auto Service, Inc.
3593 West Bowles Avenue
Littleton, CO 80123
303-794-6700
http://www.jenosautoservice.com

did Winston's balljoints and well, for the whole story see HERE:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7871770&highlight=jenos#7871770

The owner, Steve Horvath's family goes way back with VW and he knew the Brothers Blazer quite well, they used to send him their suspension work. They offer a 12 month/24,000 mile warranty and do not sneer at or boot out Vanagons. I guess they're my go-to guys for Winston now.

For anything REALLY major, I'd seriously consider having Winston trucked up to Rocky Mountain Westy. They are friends, and skilled. who've done much work on Winston and many kindnesses for me.

I wonder how many of the shops HERE are still open:

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_search_map.php?state_id=6

Best!
WeekenderWarriors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

Thanks jmillsj and msinabottle. I setup an appointment at Painters for this week. I may have to go with Jeno’s or RMW too as there might be an issue with my transmission. Painters said they will install a new transmission, but won’t rebuild or do any other related maintenance. We’ll have to see what the diagnosis is.

I appreciate the feedback. I’ve looked at the roadhaus website in the past and might have to go back to that. I agree, a lot of shops have recently closed or moved, so not too sure how current those listings are.

Thanks!

'86 VW Wolfsburg Weekender
'04 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
'11 Volvo XC70 T6
'18 VW AllTrack SE
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Blazer Automotive Closing - Denver Reply with quote

WeekenderWarriors wrote:
Thanks jmillsj and msinabottle. I setup an appointment at Painters for this week. I may have to go with Jeno’s or RMW too as there might be an issue with my transmission. Painters said they will install a new transmission, but won’t rebuild or do any other related maintenance. We’ll have to see what the diagnosis is.

I appreciate the feedback. I’ve looked at the roadhaus website in the past and might have to go back to that. I agree, a lot of shops have recently closed or moved, so not too sure how current those listings are.

Thanks!

A lot of places will work on a vanagon but wont do a rebuild. But it sounds like painters doesnt seem enthusiastic about doing much beside direct swaps. I'd look at other options. If anything they could just pull it and you ship your transaxle to a builder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: