Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple pictures to show exactly what I am working with. This is a 1600 dual port motor in my 12 volt 67 beetle. On this carb I have 2 ports that are generally plugged and the car runs well. Recently the vacuum plug (small black rubber plug) has come off the port marked #2 and I can not figure out why. This has happened twice on longer drives. Once it falls off the motor wants to stall when idling.

Any idea as to what would cause this?

The second part of this is wanting something as reliable as possible. I understand the stock German parts are usually the standard for reliability so my carb and distributor should probably be switched out. I hesitate with this because I keep reading they need to be closely matched and honestly I do not know the difference between all the different parts over the many years these were made. I have tried to run the best replacement parts when doing general maintenance on the car, using Bosch or VW parts when I can find them.

Patrick

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boardman411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Is that a 009 your using. You should have an SVDA dizzy with the Vacuum pipe attached.. I have similar setup, but have swapped from a 009, due to flat spots.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Yes I believe it is a 009.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Canadian VW wrote:
On this carb I have 2 ports that are generally plugged and the car runs well. Recently the vacuum plug (small black rubber plug) has come off the port marked #2 and I can not figure out why. This has happened twice on longer drives. Once it falls off the motor wants to stall when idling.

Yes - most auto store vacuum caps are notoriously poor quality, and the crack from heat and fall off. Once off, a big vacuum leak through that port will cause poor idle/stalling, as it should. Fix is to get good-quality rubber vacuum caps, or just use a short piece of vacuum tubing and a wooden golf tee.

Since your engine has an 009 type distributor, both those ports on the carb should be capped off. There could also be a port on the left intake manifold end casting that also needs to be capped off.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

How does the car run?Any hesitations? If it runs good, I'd leave the carburetor exactly where it is. I would personally get a vacuum assisted distributor because driveability is smoother with them but again, if it is running fine I don't see the dire need that most would lead you to believe exists.

IF you do get a vacuum assisted distributor, seeing that you have a replacement carb, I'd not stress over getting a bosch original UNLESS it gets to you easily. At the risk of getting flamed, I'll say I've had good luck on people's cars with replacement distributors in the absence of OG ones. I've installed 2 or 3 Accusparks before with great success.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/AccuSpark-SVDA-Complete-Dis...bug+s.TRS0

USE YOUR CURRENT ROTOR OR GET A NEW BREMI OR BOSCH ROTOR. THE ROTOR IN THESE IS GARBAGE! The rest works perfectly fine. Also, keep an eye on points jumping up and down their crimped shaft... There is a rash of poor quality points out there. Of all places, Autozone points have a circlip that prevents this. Napa Echilin points are well constructed too, I run those.

Some final advice: stay away from distributors that are sold for as much as a new set of cylinder heads. Rolling Eyes Chances are you don't need them, and the money can go somewhere more worthwhile.

Good looking motor!

-Frank
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Canadian VW wrote:
On this carb I have 2 ports that are generally plugged and the car runs well. Recently the vacuum plug (small black rubber plug) has come off the port marked #2 and I can not figure out why. This has happened twice on longer drives. Once it falls off the motor wants to stall when idling.

Yes - most auto store vacuum caps are notoriously poor quality, and the crack from heat and fall off. Once off, a big vacuum leak through that port will cause poor idle/stalling, as it should. Fix is to get good-quality rubber vacuum caps, or just use a short piece of vacuum tubing and a wooden golf tee.

Since your engine has an 009 type distributor, both those ports on the carb should be capped off. There could also be a port on the left intake manifold end casting that also needs to be capped off.

Thanks for the reply! I picked up new higher quality plugs (at least I hope they are higher quality based on the price) and will give them a run tonight. I have already switched the manifold casting to a unit without the vacuum port.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
How does the car run?Any hesitations? If it runs good, I'd leave the carburetor exactly where it is. I would personally get a vacuum assisted distributor because driveability is smoother with them but again, if it is running fine I don't see the dire need that most would lead you to believe exists.

IF you do get a vacuum assisted distributor, seeing that you have a replacement carb, I'd not stress over getting a bosch original UNLESS it gets to you easily. At the risk of getting flamed, I'll say I've had good luck on people's cars with replacement distributors in the absence of OG ones. I've installed 2 or 3 Accusparks before with great success.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/AccuSpark-SVDA-Complete-Dis...bug+s.TRS0

USE YOUR CURRENT ROTOR OR GET A NEW BREMI OR BOSCH ROTOR. THE ROTOR IN THESE IS GARBAGE! The rest works perfectly fine. Also, keep an eye on points jumping up and down their crimped shaft... There is a rash of poor quality points out there. Of all places, Autozone points have a circlip that prevents this. Napa Echilin points are well constructed too, I run those.

Some final advice: stay away from distributors that are sold for as much as a new set of cylinder heads. Rolling Eyes Chances are you don't need them, and the money can go somewhere more worthwhile.

Good looking motor!

-Frank

I do have a little bit of a flat spot when first accelerating, I honestly thought it was normal or just a air-cooled VW thing.

I have a local guy who has been helping me with some of my used OEM parts needs. I will get in contact with him and see if he has a Bosch unit in his stash. I will probably try and get an OEM carb at the same time. I will keep this thread updated with my progress and how the new parts feel when driving.

I really appreciate the information on these aftermarket parts and what to look for. The wealth of knowledge in the ACVW community is amazing.

empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Curious orientation of a 009 distributor !! I don't believe I've ever seen one clocked like that before Shocked

Possiblly 180° out?

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

empi3 wrote:
Curious orientation of a 009 distributor !! I don't believe I've ever seen one clocked like that before Shocked

Possiblly 180° out?

Steven

I've put over 5000 kms on it set up this way, I really have no idea if it is in the wrong orientation....

What would being 180 degrees out cause?

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Thats not a bad way to put the 009 in, that way you can change points and the condenser easy if you don't like to take the distributor out to service it. I keep a spare timed 009 with new parts in it on the shelf that I swap out when I do a tune up, much faster that way, just make sure to set the timing on it first.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 carb plugged port issue and advice on proper set up Reply with quote

Orientation on the body of the 009 doesn't really matter, unless you have a distributor that retards the timing on the #3 cylinder, and I doubt many manufacturers took the trouble to do that with an 009 (easy enough to verify with a timing light though). The distributor drive gear being 180 degrees off would change the position of the #1 spark plug wire, and that doesn't appear to be a problem in the photo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: