Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

super fast idle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: super fast idle Reply with quote

Trying to get my 71 super beetle tuned up. 1600cc dual port with 34 pict 3 and dvda distributor. The carb was fully restored and the car starts no problem and idles a little rough when cold but it’s around 800rpm. i try and let the car warm up so i can start my adjustments but once it starts warming up and the screw moves down the cam the rpms pick up big time. started going over 2000rpms around a few steps from the bottom of the cam and it freaked me out so i shut the car off. how am i suppose make adjustments when it’s doing this. i’m 100% new with cars and have only done some reading and research about stuff. i’m super lost and frustrated at this point because i just want to drive it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

First make sure that the accelerator cable isn't hooked up too tight and that the throttle return spring is working right.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
First make sure that the accelerator cable isn't hooked up too tight and that the throttle return spring is working right.

it does the same thing with the cable disconnected. not sure how to test the return spring though
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

hopefully trying to bump this topic with this comment. i took a video of what is happening hopefully someone can help me figure this out?

https://youtu.be/hkmesuK8C9s
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

I’d check your choke adjustment. It seems like at start up, it’s way too rich and the loping is keeping your idle low, and when the choke comes off it’s speeding up due to running cleaner. Try it with less choke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

Here's a link …

http://chircowordpres.wpengine.com/?page_id=193

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

[quote="Ricksurfin"]I’d check your choke adjustment. It seems like at start up, it’s way too rich and the loping is keeping your idle low, and when the choke comes off it’s speeding up due to running cleaner. Try it with less choke.[/quote

alright cool i’ll try that when i get home today and update here!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

Have you tried screwing in the air bypass screw to lower the idle when the choke is completely open ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Have you tried screwing in the air bypass screw to lower the idle when the choke is completely open ?

not yet only because it doesn’t get to the point where the choke is fully open. i get a little freaked out by the high rpms i just shut it off. was never sure if it’s hurting the engine letting it run that fast for a while. ill try all the things you guys have mentioned this week though really appreciate the help Very Happy
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

not yet only because it doesn’t get to the point where the choke is fully open. i get a little freaked out by the high rpms i just shut it off. was never sure if it’s hurting the engine letting it run that fast for a while. ill try all the things you guys have mentioned this week though really appreciate the help Very Happy

You may want to try this when you get a chance …

With the engine off, adjust the fast idle adjustment screw ( It's not used to adjust idle speed ). Manually open the choke by opening the throttle lever, turning the fast idle cam, and setting the fast idle adjustment screw on the fast idle cams lowest setting ( just like the picture ). Unscrew the fast idle adjustment screw until it's not touching the fast idle cam, then screw it back in until it just barely touches the fast idle cam ( still on the lowest setting, just like the picture ). Then, screw it in 1/4 turn. That's it, you shouldn't have to touch the fast idle adjustment screw anymore.

Start the engine.

1) If it's still idling too high ( with the choke still manually opened ), turn the air bypass screw in. This is how you adjust the idle speed.

2) If it idles O.K. ( with the choke still manually opened ), you may just have to adjust the electric choke to open sooner.

JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

bringing this back due to new information. replaced the cheap fuel pump i had to a nos brosol from the classified section. good pump that puts out the right pressure. my problem still seems to be there but a little different. the idle still get super fast (2000+rpms) unless i kinda rotate the cam so the screw is sitting at the very bottom and then the idle will slow down a bit. i do now hear a faint hissing noise which im guessing is a vacuum leak. can a vacuum leak make it run consistently fast like that except for when the cam is fully rotated or the choke is fully open. ( not sure of the right terminology). could it be idling that fast because it’s set waaaay too rich? can’t seem to figure this out at all and is making me lose hope.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:

1) If it's still idling too high ( with the choke still manually opened ), turn the air bypass screw in. This is how you adjust the idle speed.

Did you try this ?

JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

Did you try this ?

yup doesn’t really seem to make a different. it idles decent if the screw is at the bottom of the cam like in the picture and every 10-20 seconds or so it slows down like it’s going to die but then goes back to normal in literally 1-2 seconds. if the screw goes up literally one step the rpms shoot up like i’m still giving it gas and stays consistently fast. sorry if that doesn’t make sense haha
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

With the car turned off, Adjust the screw on the throttle arm as described above and the choke. Turn the bypass screw and air mixture screw (the small one) all the way in, then out 2.5 turns. Start the car and let it warm up. Once warm, turn the air mix screw out slowly until it idles evenly but won't speed up anymore. Turn it back until the idle just drops. Back out quarter turn. Then use the bypass screw to lower the idle to 900 or so.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
With the car turned off, Adjust the screw on the throttle arm as described above and the choke. Turn the bypass screw and air mixture screw (the small one) all the way in, then out 2.5 turns. Start the car and let it warm up. Once warm, turn the air mix screw out slowly until it idles evenly but won't speed up anymore. Turn it back until the idle just drops. Back out quarter turn. Then use the bypass screw to lower the idle to 900 or so.

it was already preset this way when i got it back from tim at volkzbitz. so everything was preset properly but still presented this problem.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
vamram wrote:

it was already preset this way when i got it back from tim at volkzbitz. so everything was preset properly but still presented this problem.

If Volkzbitz refurbished the carb, we probably need to look elsewhere for the problem! That carb would have been fully tested and come back to you as a bolt and go. Did you adjust anything on the carb after you got it back?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
[.....]

i do now hear a faint hissing noise which im guessing is a vacuum leak.
[.....]
can’t seem to figure this out at all and is making me lose hope.

1st rule: don't panic, don't lose hope. (walk away to clear your head if you must- banging your head against the wall is rarely productive, sometimes a short break from the situation can provide new insight)

Did you figure out exactly what this hissing noise was?

If you do have a vacuum leak somewhere, you're not going to be able to get a consistent idle set up.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:
vamram wrote:

If Volkzbitz refurbished the carb, we probably need to look elsewhere for the problem! That carb should have come back to you as a bolt and go.

yeah seemed his instructions only called for minor adjustments. The only thing i did was try and lower the idle via the bypass screw but didn’t really have an effect. not sure if my earlier shitty fuel pump that was putting out like 8psi could have caused any damage to the carb? one other thing i’m not sure about is a small amount of some weird oil looking substance in the vacuum advance port on the carb and on the distributor port.

Last edited by JaimeReyes on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
JaimeReyes wrote:
[.....]

i do now hear a faint hissing noise which im guessing is a vacuum leak.
[.....]
can’t seem to figure this out at all and is making me lose hope.

1st rule: don't panic, don't lose hope. (walk away to clear your head if you must- banging your head against the wall is rarely productive, sometimes a short break from the situation can provide new insight)

Did you figure out exactly what this hissing noise was?

If you do have a vacuum leak somewhere, you're not going to be able to get a consistent idle set up.

i’m not sure what the hissing is at all. ill have to check tomorrow to see if it is a vacuum leak. i only seem to hear the hissing noise when the choke is fully open and the screw is at the bottom of the cam. can vacuum leaks only occur at certain times? it might just not hear it before because of how fast the engine is running cuz it gets pretty loud.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: super fast idle Reply with quote

Do you have a gasket between your manifold and carburetor ?

Here's one installed on mine.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: