Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeep Rims on VW buggy
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

There are tons of take-off Jeep rims with tires for sale; but there are no off-the-shelf adapters for Jeep rims.

I am planning to put discs all around and "might" drill them for Jeep 5x114.3 mm (5 x 4.5) or buy Chevy drilled discs.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Jeff
Cul-tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

Nothing!

If you can adapt them either with custom drilled rotors or factory adaptors it would be genius.

Take off Jeep rims are practically free on Craigslist, especially the steelies.

Only thing to consider is the backspacing on stockish Jeep wheels puts the mounting surface very close to the outside edge of the wheels. This could be an issue with trailing arms depending or what arms and brake systems you might have. Meaning they would need the distance to reach the mounting surface without contacting the wheels edge.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

Didn't some Fords have the same bolt pattern? 5X4.5"?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are jeep wheels 15x10 with disk brakes. ..I used heavy duty adapters on wide 5 pattern, they are ford bolt pattern. ..I like them cuz they cover up most of the caliper...I think the adapter was like 3/4-7/8" in height. ..I believe that rim back set was 3.5"....I chose the adapter route cuz a lot of others have abused their adapters off road jumping and such and has never been a problem. ..way cheaper than custom drilled rotors...another bonus is that u can always get a different adapter or go back to stock wide 5 if you change your mind, custom means that your stuck with what u got. Laughing
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

Veeweeman, those look sweet! Back spacing is my biggest concern. I am hoping to push put

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

OK to go wider if you like to bend the beam and other front end components and kill bearings. When considering wheel back space, add the adapter to that.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

Dusty, I am trying to balance tire diameter versus wheel clearance. Since most jeep wheels are larger diameter; I am trying to avoid having LESS back space than stock VW wheels.

I agree with your comments about spacers.

Thank you for support.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jeep Rims on VW buggy Reply with quote

Stock VW wheels are 3-3/4" back space in 15x4" rims.

That beam can probably be straightened using a chain and a bottle jack. The frame should have braces out to the outer ends of the beam. Like most buggy frames come with.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: