Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

appreciate my bug's reliability more every day
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
platatomi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

My VW was my first car and I still drive it, but have felt it necessary to get something more modern for long commutes and hot weather.

This is my experience/luck so far...

The very frequent, or constant, problems I have seemed to have with two good, used cars since has really made me appreciate the bug.

My first modern car was a VR6 Jetta, which I was happy with, however it suffered several failed coils, failed ignition switch, leaking radiator, bad sensors, overheating, and eventually catastrophic failure of the auto tranny after less than two years of me owning it. So much for that over-engineered pos. A reasonable 130k miles when I bought it.

Next I got a 97 Maxima stick shift which I have heard is legendary for reliability, only 100k miles and immaculately maintained. After a year of ownership, in addition to initial repairs it needed when I bought it: four coils have failed, starter failed, oxygen sensors failed, knock sensor failed, and it has an ongoing overheat problem that I haven't been able to diagnose. Even worse, some of the coil failures have not triggered the CEL or indicated any problem so I have driven many miles dumping raw fuel into the exhaust, so my CAT is probably burned up too at this point. The last coil to fail was brand new so it is killing them somehow...

Now I'm not saying cars don't need maintenance and parts do go bad eventually but all this just seemed to be much more than it should have been so far.

So yeah, I have never had any of these failures(edit: did do ignition switch) on the bug(it doesn't even have most of those parts) except overheat, and just realized the big picture of all of this. How has your luck been with aircooled vs other stuff?

Update -

No longer daily driver but still fixing things...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

The truth by the numbers most reliable Suburu, Toyota, Lexus. Just yesterday on an extended road trip I enjoyed 90mph, AC, Leather seating, every creature comfort while getting 26mpg. 😀
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

... my experience for reliability and overall comfort, while getting great mileage is by far, Honda Civic and Accord... VW BUG was a great around town daily, 50 years ago.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

vw automatics are made out of glass anyway, so yea, they break...

coil packs are the new ignition wires...they degrade. mostly because people use the wrong/junk plugs....or the coil pack is over worked trying to jump a 9 foot gap on a worn plug.

aftermarket (cough autozone, napa etc) electronics are JUNK. oem stuff lasted 100k+ for a reason.

02's are a wear item as well. so....welcome to the world of new "points and condensers"

I'm with zund....like my vw's love my audi's and Volvo's

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

platatomi wrote:
My VW was my first car and I still drive it, but have felt it necessary to get something more modern for long commutes and hot weather.

I agree, we need good AC here in Arizona. For commutes between Prescott area and Phoenix, I drive the 1998 Frontier we bought in 2004 with 100K on it, so the kids would have a vehicle to drive to practices and work, and force them to learn manual transmissions (they practiced on my 1971 VW). That Frontier now has 232K on it and has air bags, ABS, safety features, and better power, mpg, and AC than my 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus which has 215K, "OK" AC, no power at all.

I bought my "vehicle for the future" back in 2011, a 2004 Frontier King Cab with 90K on it, the last year a Frontier could still fit into my garage. That's my nice vehicle and we take that on vacations. Those 3 trucks and my 2 VWs are all standard shift and 4-cylinder.

But - in the words of my youngest - driving the VWs is "funner" !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

My trucks have all been diesels and go into the 400,000 to 500,000 range. Very little maintenance beyond fuel filters and oil changes, religiously. Have not had a tranny or engine go bad. Did have several injectore go bad on the newest truck, but Chevys warranty covered them. The 82 Chevy had a injection pump go south on it at 100,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and it was replaced for free! Found out that day it was still under warrenty! It went another 300,000 miles on that pump before wearing out.

The Toyota is the next car that requires maintenance. Last week we replaced all 6 coil packs. 500 dollars out the window.

The others are Jeeps. Lots of maintenance. I typically spend four hours every weekend maintaining the other cars in the household.

The Bug is cheap to maintain, is fun to drive but I do not depend upon it and it sure cannot handle the 6 tons of tools and materials I carry around town, everyday! It also cannot fit 7 adults comfortable, like the Highlander or the Cherokee. And the AC is soooo nice in all the cars during the summer.

But I love the Bug. Always my first choice to drive in town.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

The girl who boards her horses with us just spent $10,000 rebuilding her Ford diesel! She says it does have 400,000 miles on it though. We hauled my cows to The Auction Yard Thursday with here big fancy rig! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
platatomi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

Sounds like we've arrived at similar mindsets but some of you maybe luckier than me so far. I totally feel the same, wish I could drive the bug if, not so hot, etc.

Oh about the coils and plugs, I've checked mine and the plugs are the correct part, look great and are gaped correctly so I'm just stumped on that one. Hope it's not more pervasive electrical problem.

Update -

No longer daily driver but still fixing things...
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

What are coil packs and knock sensors? Wink (See signature)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

other cars?? Confused shit do I need to update and get another car other than my bug??I agree ac would be nice....real dam nice...hmm 90 amp alt and a 500 btu should be cheeper than a new car...crap then I would have to work on my bug and install it....hmm I need to look for one of those window cooler thingy!!!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
other cars?? Confused shit do I need to update and get another car other than my bug??I agree ac would be nice....real dam nice...hmm 90 amp alt and a 500 btu should be cheeper than a new car...crap then I would have to work on my bug and install it....hmm I need to look for one of those window cooler thingy!!!

yikes, in Florida and no a/c... how do you do it?
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

yikes, in Florida and no a/c... how do you do it?

From mid June to late September early morning drives or after the sun goes down. Rest of the year it’s not bad. I cannot imagine how anyone drives one of these as a daily down here without AC. Hell, I end up changing shirts 2-3 times a day some days even driving my Jetta because I’m soaked with sweat going from the car to the house or running errands that require me to me outside. Since the ACVWs reside in the garage it sits outside 24/7. Probably 120 or more inside some days.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
vw automatics are made out of glass anyway, so yea, they break...

coil packs are the new ignition wires...they degrade. mostly because people use the wrong/junk plugs....or the coil pack is over worked trying to jump a 9 foot gap on a worn plug.

aftermarket (cough autozone, napa etc) electronics are JUNK. oem stuff lasted 100k+ for a reason.

02's are a wear item as well. so....welcome to the world of new "points and condensers"

I'm with zund....like my vw's love my audi's and Volvo's

Tram & Tramsdisciple rebuilt my squareback engine & AT about 6 years ago & they still both run good/don't leak! He told me the parts to rebuild the AT in his Passat cost $3000+. He ended up tearing it out & putting in a 5 speed! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

I get in and go.it dosent take long before your own cooling starts working. my issue now with it is....the pass side window regulator took a shit a few months ago and....I dont feel like effing with it Shocked I got a new regulator the twin lift type for 65 or so year, since my car has them effing cali windows...and...I dont feel like changing doors either.I just drive the shit out of it every day.( I have 1 nos door still in primer,wish i had 2)
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

In the last 3 months I drove my Tacoma pickup once because I needed the bed. All the rest of my miles have been in the '57 Bug. My first car was a '60 Bug and I've owned at least one Bug for most of the 35 years since I bought it.

Like most cars, they are reliable if well maintained. They need more regular maintenance but most of it is less expensive, and easy by design.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

Used low mileage single owner Toyota Corollas and Camrys found on Craig's List have been tremendous for us. The one major "must-do" is timing chain replacement around 70,000 if the car has one. Otherwise, 4-cylinder simplicity and regular maintenance means long, reliable service for my two daughters, my son-in-law, my wife, and her two sisters.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

Every car off the assembly line is not quite the same.
There are better ones and worse ones.

Ignition drivers are ALWAYS going to fail eventually, and like most electronics they have a life of so many cycles and/or so many years,
and,
the hotter they are......the shorter the life.

I'd say.....20 years is ok life for that kind of coil unit.

You could spend 1000$ in parts into your 1997 "beater" and sell it out of frustration, and the next owner might have 5 years of easy flying. I have a friend that's done that a few times. Laughing

Look at what is in the junkyards. lots of dodge neons and subarus. The neons usually have complete engines, the subarus mostly have complete bodies. It tells a lot. i wonder how many maximas have coil packs? Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

In my view the only thing that makes an old VW reliable is it's simplicity. If it ain't there it can't fail!

If you want all the bells and whistles expect to pay for them both in initail cost and to keep all that junk working over the years.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

Generally, all cars are reliable when they're new. Over time, various parts wear out, fail, or get out of adjustment. If you are willing and able (see below) to restore or replace every such part, and keep everything properly lubricated and adjusted, then the car will continue to be reliable.

The trouble with modern cars is that, more and more each year, they are designed specifically for a limited overall life, which wreaks havoc on the able part of willing and able. An ACVW was designed to last for a certain amount of time/miles between overhauls, but in that era, VW did not fight if an owner wanted to keep overhauling and driving forever. Here is one small example of how things are different today in the planned-obsolescence era: BMWs have their Condition Based Service computers programmed to stop working after 189,000 miles. Other examples include NLA, yet copyright and/or trademark protected parts (patents only last 20 years, but trademark is forever).
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: appreciate my bug's reliability more every day Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Generally, all cars are reliable when they're new.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: