Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best aftermarket A/C
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry Chadderton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Hey Guys & Girls,

I have searched already. I promise! The searches I did resulted in hundreds of post topics completely unrelated to the direct question that I have; Who sells the best aftermarket A/C system in your opinion?

My 73 STD resto/refurb/mod-ish project is going very well so far. However this summer has had a whole lotta +90 temperature days. It has me thinking... for another $2K I could be very happy at traffic lights!

Thank you in advance!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

I believe there are only a couple of places left that still sell a complete A/C setup for the air cooled VW. Which is better? Good question. I'll do a quick Google search and get back to you.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Kerry Chadderton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Shoot Brian, don't do that. I've searched the "Interweb" myself. All I see is Gilmore and Parts VW. Both look good but I'd really like to see more install pics, read through a copy of the install manual or hear from the Samba's personal experiences.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Gilmore in Las Vegas and ICE AC in San Diego.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Hands down Gilmore Ent in Vegas
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Do any of these systems use a Flooded? evaporator?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

nope
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Hi, what is flooded evaporator?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

They have a evaporator like a tank and hold a LOT of refrigerant. They conduct heat substantially better. Some G.M's have evaporators that hold about 3 times as much as other systems so I suspect that they are some type of flooded system. Edit: I had a Buick that needed a 3x charge and it was the best working system I had experienced besides a R12 car.
Kerry Chadderton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Thanks! I like the Gilmore site. I have a request into them for an install manual.

I wasn't as impressed with ICE's site and the install manual didn't jive at all with what the site claimed; "Just a few hand tools and a 1 1/8" hole saw". The instructions ask for two 3" holes. Then it goes into a description about "banging the fender lip flat" to accommodate hose clearance. I don't know about all of that mess.

Anyway, thanks again, and if anyone has documented an A/C install I'd love to see it!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Kerry Chadderton wrote:
Thanks! I like the Gilmore site. I have a request into them for an install manual.

[.......]

Anyway, thanks again, and if anyone has documented an A/C install I'd love to see it!

Not sure that this is the precise kit or application you will have to work with but this is a decent pictorial

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622565&highlight=gilmore

Happy bug'n
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Kerry Chadderton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Yes that did help. It made me happy that I'm not doing this on a Super! Sheesh.

I'm still on the fence with this. I'm waiting for Gilmore's instruction sheets but from what I've seen thus far there is a LOT of hacking/cutting/bending/cussing going on with these kits. Is that a fair judgement?

Forgive me. I just finished one side of the rear wheel bearings, control arm & T-bar bushings replacement. I'm sweaty, sore and whiny at the moment!
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Just from experience working on a couple cars with A/C, it's just not worth it. Unless you have an engine that's a 2 liter or larger, the engine can't sustain using the AC as the compressor uses a lot of power. The compressor unit also makes it an absolute pain to do almost anything on the engine and all the hoses and extra pieces for the AC can get very annoying to work around. Its just not really worth all the fuss and chopping and hacking. Keep your simple car, simple.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
Just from experience working on a couple cars with A/C, it's just not worth it. Unless you have an engine that's a 2 liter or larger, the engine can't sustain using the AC as the compressor uses a lot of power. The compressor unit also makes it an absolute pain to do almost anything on the engine and all the hoses and extra pieces for the AC can get very annoying to work around. Its just not really worth all the fuss and chopping and hacking. Keep your simple car, simple.

Modern AC, or n original 70's unit?

I've seen people put modern setups in Model A fords, if those can handle it, a VW can handle it.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

I had an original Tecumseh in my 70. It’s in the trash bin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
Just from experience working on a couple cars with A/C, it's just not worth it. Unless you have an engine that's a 2 liter or larger, the engine can't sustain using the AC as the compressor uses a lot of power.

I'll disagree with this; I had 1835cc dual port engine (heads stock except opened up for cylinders, stock cam, single Weber 40DCNF, German 009, external oil cooler, lid standoffs, Arizona) with dealer-added DPD AC with Tecumseh compressor for 18 years, and it could handle that compressor fine. Modern AC systems require even less engine hp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, if parked in the southwest sun for a while, will take a while to cool, but this goes for any vehicle. I always look for a shady parking spot with my air-conditioned trucks, even if my walking distance to a store is tripled.

allamaabroad wrote:
The compressor unit also makes it an absolute pain to do almost anything on the engine and all the hoses and extra pieces for the AC can get very annoying to work around.

This is true. I cut an access panel under the left rear fender to access #3 and #4 spark plugs and wires; with the leaded gas of that era, plugs needed changing frequently. I also engineered a tensioner bracket for the AC belt so I could use non-VW belts, so almost like a serpentine belt, pressed on belt's outer edge.

I might be able to be convinced to sell this set-up....

Yes, compressor did make it tougher to R&R the engine, had to move compressor to the side.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

I took mine out for a couple reasons. First off, I honesty hated the way it looked in there. It just took up so much space and made the 3, 4 side thought to work on. Thirdly, I never used it, and it didn’t work well. May have needed to be serviced or something. After I had floor pans put in 2.5 years ago, I just pulled it out. It’s how the bug was designed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

If you have to sit in heavy traffic it's going to be worth the hassle otherwise a cooler with your favorite beverage in the back seat is the way to go. Very Happy I think the factory seats were designed to sweat in.

Anyone think that not having a hot engine in the front helps with a ACVW?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

Kerry Chadderton wrote:
It has me thinking... for another $2K I could be very happy at traffic lights!

Granted the VW I put AC in is a Squareback, but at a stop light, its worth its weight in gold. We have been running a string of 104-107 degree days. I have also worked on bugs that had the Tecumseh compressor installed, and yes for those who have mentioned it, they are rather difficult to get to some parts of the engine. However, the modern Sanden, or similar compressors are much more compact, and draw considerably less HP from the engine as well. On cooler days, I drive one of my bugs, but when the temps go up, I drive my Squareback. That way I don't get to my destination a soggy mess.
My builds
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best aftermarket A/C Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
I think the factory seats were designed to sweat in.

What do you mean? Intentionally made to sweat in? Or made so that when you sweat they aren’t destroyed?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: