Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I was hoping that the birth certificate would say 1500 engine. I checked the m code list in the technical section and that’s what 424 indicates.
Thanks

Did it have the oil cleaner hanger on the left side engine compartment ceiling?

I tried to look back in the thread but I couldn't tell if it was missing (40hp Bus) or might have rusted off.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
I was hoping that the birth certificate would say 1500 engine. I checked the m code list in the technical section and that’s what 424 indicates.
Thanks

Did it have the oil cleaner hanger on the left side engine compartment ceiling?

I tried to look back in the thread but I couldn't tell if it was missing (40hp Bus) or might have rusted off.

It did not have the hanger present, but it did have this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks to me like the bracket was there and broke off, going by the location of the holes. What do you think?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I agree, it looks like the 1500cc air cleaner bracket broke off.

Thanks for the info, I wanted to make sure 424 in the M-code list was as accurate as possible.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I had goal for the weekend, and almost completed it. I wanted to wrap up the luggage tray (minus the spare tire holder) I finished welding in the replacement Sections, and got the welds ground down:

The section going down to the wheel well did not want to fit. I ended up cutting it up little to get it to sit in correctly.
I removed the air cleaner hanger bracket removed from the 65 bus,and prepped to weld in:

I still have to weld in the bracket. (No power at the house this morning, and now I'm out of town. I will weld it in when I get back.)
I welded up all of the smaller holes and finished the corners where the luggage try meets the rear hatch.

I removed the hinges from the OG engine compartment hatch and have them soaking in penetrating oil. I have another SWR hatch and put it on the bus just for fun:

It's starting to look like something!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Looking like a million bucks Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Looking like a million bucks Cool

😎
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

wow. I was out on road trip for the past couple of weeks and you got a LOT done. it looks like its all in one piece! amazing!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
wow. I was out on road trip for the past couple of weeks and you got a LOT done. it looks like its all in one piece! amazing!

It getting there. Still a lot to do. Less than 2 months until the Flanders show and we still have a pile of metal work left. We are going to take a break this coming weekend and head down to the Shrewsbury MA car show. Are you going to be able to make it there?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

Are you going to be able to make it there?

I'm trying to pull some strings to free up my Saturday. fingers crossed. I gotta fix a couple things on the vanagon this week too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Progress!
Finished the luggage tray:

Welded in the air clener bracket:

There are a bunch of pieces that went into this area!
Welded the support rails back to the luggage tray:

I got my KF order today, so next up:

I was going to make a battery tray, but due to time constraints...
I was going to repair the drivers side corner, but due to the lack of anything to weld to...
I'm going to fix the passenger side frame and engine splash pan at the same time I fit the battery tray, then I will put it back on the rotisserie to get to drivers inner fender replaced.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

53 days and counting! It's all gonna work out; the bus is going to Flanders whether we're able to drive it there or not, right? Very Happy
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

53 days and counting! It's all gonna work out; the bus is going to Flanders whether we're able to drive it there or not, right? Very Happy

#whateverittakes Very Happy
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

More progress!
I cleaned up the luggage tray:

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. It is a huge difference from the scary rusted out mess.
I'm starting on the passenger side frame area now:

I wanted to make the splash pan before I cut out the rot and lose the dimensions, so:

Next up will be cutting out the rot!
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

Not sure if I missed previous discussion about it, but do you plan on re-stamping the Chassis # or leaving as is? I understand there may be potential legal concerns, but I'm asking for a friend haha. Nice work by the way!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Not sure if I missed previous discussion about it, but do you plan on re-stamping the Chassis # or leaving as is? I understand there may be potential legal concerns, but I'm asking for a friend haha. Nice work by the way!

I had not planned on re-stamping the chassis number. I figured I would keep a photo of the rusty available in case of any issues. If I get any flack, I'll tell the DMV or police to check out my thread on Thesamba Very Happy
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

I had not planned on re-stamping the chassis number. I figured I would keep a photo of the rusty available in case of any issues. If I get any flack, I'll tell the DMV or police to check out my thread on Thesamba Very Happy

Sound plan. Any authority looking at this thread should immediately dismiss any infraction, seeing the lengths to which you went to bring this bus back into service. One would hope they'd show some respect/deference at a minimum!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Sound plan. Any authority looking at this thread should immediately dismiss any infraction, seeing the lengths to which you went to bring this bus back into service. One would hope they'd show some respect/deference at a minimum!

Haha! Thanks!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
type2rescuemaine wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

That was my attitude for our local show last year. You don't realy need any windows or lights Smile Though I will say if you have time windshields are nice on an early morning drive.

Looking great. I would stamp your numbers if its not too much trouble. No one offical will know the differince anyway.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
type2rescuemaine wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

That was my attitude for our local show last year. You don't realy need any windows or lights Smile Though I will say if you have time windshields are nice on an early morning drive.

Looking great. I would stamp your numbers if its not too much trouble. No one offical will know the differince anyway.

My son is worried that we won't make the deadline. The show we want to go to is about 500 miles away. If I can get through the metal work, we should be good, although the transaxle is untested and the engine I have has only run once in the last 20 years. I had to JB weld up the case where the oil drain pan goes, and it blew oil out of the pushrod tube seals when I started it. It probably just needed to warm up. Rolling Eyes
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
type2rescuemaine wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

there is always:

#whatever Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 86

Jump to: