Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flightofphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

I bought a Fastback recently that is primered. The PO had just replaced window rubber all the way around (except the doors). I want to paint it, but use the original paint code so the jams and interior of doors will match.

Is it an absolute must to pull the glass before painting a primered car? I know it is best practice - but it will be a pain in the ass to pull the glass and a waste with the brand new rubber (assuming it will need to be cut to remove it).

I want a painted car - but I am realistic in keeping costs inline with the worth of the car as a whole. I am going to find a local painter to do this is a side gig.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

You can just work the tape behind and wrap it around, but I would NOT suggest it. If you ever have to replace a seal and its a tiny bit smaller, it will look like hell. I jast ran into this on a 63 that we did new seals and an interior respray. Outside had been painted not that long ago (without removing the windows) and I removed the side and rear windows to do the headliner. New seals were just a tiny bit smaller.. We played hell trying to get a good blend.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

a special tape is made to slip under the rubber and it pulls it up so paint can get under the seal. Just saw this last month from a painter, have no idea what it is called ?
quick search shows this in the UK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/auto-body-shop-paint-3m...swla9uxpcm
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

Most cheap paint jobs don't remove the glass.

If you want it done the right way, you know the answer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

Yeah - my body guy also mentioned the special tape. The only time that I would use it is if I already had nice paint and needed to just respray a panel like the roof. This was done (not by us) on my 65 that was freshly painted, but had roof damage when the car was transported to PA from CA.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

Hello,
Alright, I tell you about a little trick... that I use if the windows rubbers are not removed.
What you do is pull up the rubber seal with a glass tool and stuff a piece of 1/4 nylon cord under it. Somewhat, like putting a window in, but on the outside lip.
It will raise the rubber up and out of the way creating a gap for which you can spray under the rubber. After the paint has fully cured, you can pull the cord out and the rubber will fall back into place. No tape lines over or short on the rubbers/seals edge(tape rolls over and under seal). And it will look as if you did pull the glass...
Give it a try it works. I use to use this trick on older cars when finding the rubber trim was no longer avalible... or the owner didn't want to spend the money. Or as on my Japanese mini truck.
Plus, it gets the rubber out of the way of the sander when doing body work also...
Here is a picture, it's dark. But, you can see the gap under the windshield rubber at the bottom edge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Make sure you stick the cord in to just the radius of the opening, that gives you some painting space and the rubber will cover it and if you do end up putting in new rubber latter it will cover the paint line.
I hope this little "old bodymans trick" works for you, it has always worked for me.....
Oh, and it is the same as using that special tape, which the plastic goes/slips under the rubber and you're pulling the rubber/seal up and away from the body with the tape sticky portion.. This trick is older than the special tape is. And is not expensive like the 3M tape is. The first time I saw the tape at a NACE show in the 90s, I thought what a waste of money....
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

Yes the nylon cord is an old trick also

andk5591 wrote:
Yeah - my body guy also mentioned the special tape

So why not mention it? Aren't we here to help? some have never heard or seen that tape. Wink
We used it on a 84 Pete we just had painted worked well. Didn't really want replace all the seals on a semi Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flightofphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
Alright, I tell you about a little trick... that I use if the windows rubbers are not removed.
What you do is pull up the rubber seal with a glass tool and stuff a piece of 1/4 nylon cord under it. Somewhat, like putting a window in, but on the outside lip.
It will raise the rubber up and out of the way creating a gap for which you can spray under the rubber. After the paint has fully cured, you can pull the cord out and the rubber will fall back into place. No tape lines over or short on the rubbers/seals edge(tape rolls over and under seal). And it will look as if you did pull the glass...
Give it a try it works. I use to use this trick on older cars when finding the rubber trim was no longer avalible... or the owner didn't want to spend the money. Or as on my Japanese mini truck.
Plus, it gets the rubber out of the way of the sander when doing body work also...
Here is a picture, it's dark. But, you can see the gap under the windshield rubber at the bottom edge.

Make sure you stick the cord in to just the radius of the opening, that gives you some painting space and the rubber will cover it and if you do end up putting in new rubber latter it will cover the paint line.
I hope this little "old bodymans trick" works for you, it has always worked for me.....
Oh, and it is the same as using that special tape, which the plastic goes/slips under the rubber and you're pulling the rubber/seal up and away from the body with the tape sticky portion.. This trick is older than the special tape is. And is not expensive like the 3M tape is. The first time I saw the tape at a NACE show in the 90s, I thought what a waste of money....

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any close up pics of it? Does the cord wrap around all the perimeter of the rubber at once?
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

Mite consider this "redneck" fix I used 6yrs ago when I painted my 1994 Dodge ... L334 Glacier Blue. I did not want to mess with removing the rear window. I used a plastic putty knife & pushed 14 gauge electrical wire up under the seal. Be sure to get about a 1/4 inch from the wire to the outer edge of the seal. The paint flowed under the seal & no one was the wiser.

It " worked a treat " superbly !

Just be sure paint / clear has hardened b4 removal.

Best of luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a "must" to remove glass before painting? Reply with quote

... I have never removed any glass when painting my cars. I simply mask, the best I can and then cover the resta' the window with newspaper and shoot - so a little paint gets on the very, very edge of the rubber, in some spots - yes, okay, I can live with that - sounds like somma' you can't - you have my sympathy.
painted this in '77 with a 1/2 horse compressor and a thirty dolla' disposable gun... not bad - not perfect, but who expects perfection? Ha, left the dent in the fender to (intentionally) be imperfect.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: