Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: '78 fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I have a 78 bay window, converted to carbed. I have never been able to get the tail lights working right, finally bit the bullet and had a shop look at it. They said it appears there was a fire at one point and a ground or lead must have melted. They recommend having the main harness replaced. I bought this car as a project and I would like to try to fix it myself before paying them to rewire it. Problem is, I am a total amateur at this.

As of right now, headlights, blinkers, emergency flashers for the front all work as expected. when you have the headlights on, car off no key in the ignition and press the brakes, the fuel pump kicks on.

Can anyone point me to a guide, or explain to me how I may go about tracking down the issue? All I can figure right now is maybe it is hooked up wrong up front. I found fuse box diagrams online and it tells you what circuits are attach to what terminal. Does it matter what plug on the terminal you use?

Thanks!

Edit: In the Haynes repair manual, the newest wiring diagram is for 72 onward. Does that diagram apply to my bus?

Last edited by Quintanamobay on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

How do you have the fuel pump wired up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
How do you have the fuel pump wired up?

it is getting power from the ignition coil, and grounded to the frame
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

Quintanamobay wrote:
Edit: In the Haynes repair manual, the newest wiring diagram is for 72 onward. Does that diagram apply to my bus?

Try this...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

This is how you read the wiring diagram.

Wildthings wrote:

Basically the wires running horizontally across the top of the diagram are the main 12volt power wires of the system, i.e. the red battery (B+ or #30) wire which is always hot and the black #15 wire which is switched power from the ignition switch. While the line across the bottom is the body ground. Power always flows from the top to the bottom through any given circuit. The numbers below the ground line at the bottom identify each circuit, in colored diagrams these numbers are highlighted in yellow.

In the diagram below if you want to trouble shoot the oil pressure switch and light, you go to the legend on the right and find that the oil pressure switch is designated F1 and is shown on current track #39. Now you look along the bottom of the diagram for current track #39, where you will find the oil pressure warning light (K3) and the oil pressure switch (F1) connected by a blue wire with a green stripe. Power to the K3 light comes with the #11 fuse via the black wire above it, which can then be traced back to the #15 terminal on the ignition switch (D).

This link from the Samba technical section is also helpful:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/Un...l_2003.pdf

double click to enlarge
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DIN wiring diagram terminal numbers. Ie. light switch terminal "X"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552

.[/quote]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

Ill guess the brake lights are shorting to the reverse lights are shorting by back to the coil , which is incorrectly wired and the hot side is supplying fuel pump current via your wiring

You can try pulling the reverse light connector off but a melted loom could be shorted anywhere so it’s a weak diagnostic

Run a new wire with a fuse from B+ to your fuel pump would work , though.
Ghost Rider Llc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: '78 fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

Just had the same problem on my new to me 76. Someone had replaced the brake bulb with a single filament bulb 1156 instead of the two filament bulb 1157. With the lights on and car not running it would power on like it was running “eg fuel pump running”. Plus the brake light didn’t work. Change bulb all good. Hard to believe one bulb could do all that.
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

Ghost Rider Llc wrote:
Just had the same problem on my new to me 76. Someone had replaced the brake bulb with a single filament bulb 1156 instead of the two filament bulb 1157. With the lights on and car not running it would power on like it was running “eg fuel pump running”. Plus the brake light didn’t work. Change bulb all good. Hard to believe one bulb could do all that.

Mine ended up being a bad ground wire in the back! Unfortunately it now seems like the main red wire that connects to the battery has a short. If you move it around the entire busses electrical will turn on and off. Anyone else ever had this problem?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: '78 fuel pump turns on when brakes pressed Reply with quote

That’s very common for cables or connectors to go bad.

Take some pictures of your battery connections so we can tell you how ugly they look.

Warning! The first step of any electrical work is to ALWAYS remove the negative battery terminal so that you don’t cause any more damage.

OLD VWs have several circuits that aren’t fused, so if you touch one of these to ground, you burn your harness somewhere in your Bus that you can see, or maybe you burn the whole Bus.

If you had a wiring fire your entire loom is a ticking time bomb waiting for melted insulators to Touch somewhere. You can you tube shorting auto battery to see what this looks like.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: