Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

September of 1956
Digs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Wooo love early aussie CKD crunked out commercials, must have really been flogged through the '50s to really help shape life on the land. Reminds me of my also Sept '56 Single cab (Since sold on) but I only had a 1000km round trip to pick up Shocked Laughing

.....and guess what, I have yet to see a '55, '56 or '57 SC in Australia that hasn't been Dove blue Laughing
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Wow guys I've been slack on this thread and actually little Sammy my now 9 year old took oven the build, he created a Facebook page and turned into a star. https://www.facebook.com/56Rusty

Sams Rusty Kombi Ute,

Well little Sammy has done some hard work, first we asked a close friend a local Kombi Rustorer to help take on the build.

Simple goal salvage as much of the farm find and build a cool safe truck.

He gave us a list of must do jobs and a plan.

First cash, Sammy set out from the start a goal to help build and pay for this project, a then 7 year old asked if he could help work on our Café Kombi and chores to help earn cash. He seriously stepped up at events he would take orders, refill stock, serve customers and basically entertain customers. For the past 2 years he has been my wingman, as a proud dad I love hearing the question from customers I hope your getting paid well, Sam doesn't rest and normally fires back I'm building a 1956 Kombi Ute and this helps me build it and pay for parts.

So what does a boy do, when he has a kombi to restore, he talks to his builder and they plan. Sam was instructed what need to be done and how to do it.

His first task clean and prepare.

The cab was dusty and filled with dirt, a hoover and wash out, this lead to finding, marbles, toy cars, bullets and assortment of VW parts.

Sam used cleaners to scrub back the faded dusty paint and found the shiny original paint underneath.

Next he took on the load bay and tressure chest floor.

I helped with this I crawled in with the grinders and he sat beside me passing in thru wheels, 4 hours of cutting and cleaning up and he didn't move. He took over with a chisel and hammer to remove the final spot welds and floor sections.

So body was all but ready.

Next he wanted to remove the original motor, engine removal wasn't new to Sammy he has helped me do the Café kombi engine a few times and knows the sequence.

Step back Dad I have this and away he went. That baby was out in no time, only needing assistance on separating it from the gearbox as it had been sealed at some stage.

May 2017 was a big turn, Sam had booked in the Kombi for Body work and build, but there was a show local to the builders. So cleverly he said Dad we could deliver Rusty and do the show, but Rusty would be going to show first.

Sam called Klaus the builder and confirmed he was ok with that and away we went. Berry Blast 2017 in May we rolled him off the trailer and parked him up pretty much farm found. Rusty's first VW show ever.

Sam stood beside him all day chatting and discussed his plans and goals.

He had started his Facebook page by now and started a few followers, most were happy to meet him and see Rusty.

We dropped him off on the way home and Sam went on to keep working to help pay for the build.

A huge list of panels were needed for the repairs and orders were being sent out, Sam always kept updated with cost and returned with help and worked.

To help with cost we decided to build the motor at home and a good friend very mechanical minded offered to help and teach Sammy.

Now 8 he was growing fast, so on his 9th Birthday he wanted his own tools and tool box to help do his work.

So once his birthday came Sammy did what any 9year old would do he stripped his motor down and cleaned it up ready for rebuild.

I sat back and was amazed at this he knew the sequence as he had watched us so many times before. Once apart he cleaned up all the parts and prepared for the rebuild.

Another order and parts came in, Sammy went over and helped and learnt how to build a motor, from ground up.

Next this had to look authentic he wanted it like it did in the farm, he wanted rusty tinware.

Another VW Peer stepped in and heard what he wanted to achieve so asked Sam to come by and he would teach him how.

So tinware went away got sand blasted bare, came back and Sammy added a magic solution via spray bottle and we watched it over the next few weeks and the transformation. Once it looked like the farm motor he added a clear coat to it.

So now motor was complete and ready.

A visit to Klaus and delivery of motor we got told Rusty was on target for a special plan. Klaus made a promise that we would have Rusty back all but ready for the road for Berry Blast in 2018 that's 12 months after we dropped him off. This was 5 weeks away. So he put in some huge hours, more parts came in and the push was on.

Sam knew what was needed we did a big dollar order to CIP1, and this blew me away, that weekend after the order we had big weekend event working on the Café at a Nostalgic Festival. This normally needs 3 people so Wife and I plus one more adult. Sam stepped up, I need to pay for that order so will help out. That was the time I knew this kid wasn't ordinary he has it all. 2 x 10 hour days of hard work and helping out his debt was cleared and my boy is now a legend.

Well most know of him via Facebook and follow him and watch his videos, he sells his own merchandise also to fund the project and has had so many VW peers friends and businesses all support him, donations of money and parts also came in.

12 months after Berry he was back, we went down last weekend to collect him and finish off a few small tasks before the show.

This time though we drove him in and he was a runner. Sammy was proud as punch, talked more then ever and showed him off with pride.

Now home we have a few small jobs to do, Klaus wanted Sammy to finish off the last jobs and get him ready to return to the road.

Thanks for reading now enjoy the pictures xx
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Cafe53 wrote:

That little dude has more motivation than most of us adults! You're a proud dad for sure. Tell him he's got my vote and is killin' it: working hard/playing hard. Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

That is AWESOME!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

The little guy has just released his merchandise on his facebook page if anyone is interested

He has been busy making a bed floor cover and interior panels
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Dude your son's Arizona speedway shirt is epic

Cool bus too
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Cafe53 wrote:

Doesn't VIN 202xxx make this built in Sept of 1956, making it an early 1957 model?
Lovely find, BTW.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Cafe53 wrote:

Doesn't VIN 202xxx make this built in Sept of 1956, making it an early 1957 model?
Lovely find, BTW.
Al

There is a thread discussing this on here somewhere, but the generally accepted idea on this is that until the VIN system changed in 59 (?), the VIN and build date was the same as the model year. So a December '56 build date was a December '56 model. By the 1960's, a build date starting in August of the a given year would be considered the next year's model.

My cutoff dates may be off a little, but the general idea is there.

Also, you are correct that the VIN on this truck appears to have a September of 56 build date, not from '55. But there may be some production number differences for Australian buses. Not sure about that.
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Your boy is a badass! Well done dad Very Happy
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

nice find and thanks for the retro flashback. Good if it makes it back on road - not many right hand drives around with a MPH speedo Id bet.

also the photos are great. Lived in Townsville in Queensland in late 80's and I laughed at hotel and hardware/gas station - instant flashback to drinking Redbacks (yes I was high end beer snob in those days and it was the original craft brew in 1989) at a bar/hotel and reminded me of what it looked like inland when id head out to cane fields during burning - of course it was XXXX at the house on farm - no Redbacks allowed.

Glad to see nothing has changed in 30 years
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:
Cafe53 wrote:

Lovely find, BTW.
Al

There is a thread discussing this on here somewhere, but the generally accepted idea on this is that until the VIN system changed in 59 (?), the VIN and build date was the same as the model year. So a December '56 build date was a December '56 model. By the 1960's, a build date starting in August of the a given year would be considered the next year's model.

My cutoff dates may be off a little, but the general idea is there.

Also, you are correct that the VIN on this truck appears to have a September of 56 build date, not from '55. But there may be some production number differences for Australian buses. Not sure about that.

We originally thought 1955 that would have beem Crusty the other SC on the farm. We are now sure on 1956. Sammy was originally guttered it wasnt a 1955 and ' almost a Barndoor' lol but instead is now happy at 1956 as there are less of them about lol
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Ojai63dbl wrote:
nice find and thanks for the retro flashback. Good if it makes it back on road - not many right hand drives around with a MPH speedo Id bet.

also the photos are great. Lived in Townsville in Queensland in late 80's and I laughed at hotel and hardware/gas station - instant flashback to drinking Redbacks (yes I was high end beer snob in those days and it was the original craft brew in 1989) at a bar/hotel and reminded me of what it looked like inland when id head out to cane fields during burning - of course it was XXXX at the house on farm - no Redbacks allowed.

Glad to see nothing has changed in 30 years

The old towns out there were a sight thats for sure. We stopped every hour basically and each town was.great to explore. So many came over to check out the ute and were amazed of its survival

Back on the road this week.we hope
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

A huge day here, firstly I stole Rusty without Sammy knowing hehe

I had been working at night to finish the last few small jobs off to get him ready for a road worthy certificate. The little jobs that need to be done, horn, licence plate light and some carport for the floor. Simple jobs but that bloody horn was a pain.

Anyway Sammy is at school I finished work early and took off. Nervous and excited at once, now they are strict in Australia so wasnt sure.

Well he passed with flying cours, now off for some licence plates and back to collect Sammy as a Surprise

Pulled up out the front hiding from the gate a little. WELL he was blown away and proud as hell.

Best Dam surprise and reaction

I did a video on his Facebook page of all of it so head over

Here is Rusty visiting Nanna on way home
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

Epic project and very proud dad moments that'll last a lifetime.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

What's the stamp on the engine valence say?

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:

Where is this very cool badge located??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schmidts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 55 SC paddock Find almost 4000ks trip to get him Reply with quote

So sammy has been and researched the original sign writting on the side of the truck.
CM Gibson
Licensed Plumber
QUILPIE

So we went into Facebook and searched the town a small outback town with a population of just 610.

We did a post searching for info and the page lite up with info.

Qe not only got a name but got contact for the owners children

Well a month later it has gone viral and how the outback radio and national radio station has been in touch and completed.an interview on the topic

Follow the link to the story.

Will pop back with some of the stories we have got from the family it's amazing what a small world we really love in

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-20/kombi-ute-rustoration-sparks-boys-passion/10002368
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: