Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I'd like to think this is the first time the odometer has done this Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm glad I had the digits repainted.

With the condition of the metalwork, I could *almost* bring myself to believe it. The California climate was kind.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Cleaning glass and trying to get the blinkers to work, fuses appear good and I cleaned some not all the connectors. Will one bulb out take them all down like series circuits?

Got my knee bad in too.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

How about "What did you do WRONG for your bus today?"
Yup I installed the canvas upside down. The offers of hardtop early buses are starting to look very attractive right now.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Screens and trim in today.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

After putting it off for literally years, I finally extracted the last two broken screws from my sunroof assembly; one was on the rail, the other was on the rear clamp strip.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

thom wrote:
After putting it off for literally years

After soaking? Bet that felt like pulling out a festered thorn.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I adjusted the clutch on my April 61 deluxe yesterday. I've been driving that bus around more this summe. Safari windows are nice in summer, but leak horribly in the rain.

The clutch had fallen apart a couple thousand miles ago, and Greg put a new one in. It was rather an impressive falling apart, with an arm of the throw out coming off and everything in there needing replacement. At least I got my last pennys worth out of that clutch I installed in the nineties, ha ha.
Since the new clutch went in I've adjusted the cable a few times. It feels really funny.
The weld holding the tube above the torsion is still intact, and my driveway is really gritty.
The spring at the tranny is intact.
There's a pedal pan under the front, so I can't see there. Guess I could remove the pan.
Maybe the clutch cable is fraying. SOMETHING is going to give.
Sense impending clutch doom driving it the last month.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I adjusted the clutch on my April 61 deluxe yesterday. I've been driving that bus around more this summe. Safari windows are nice in summer, but leak horribly in the rain.

The clutch had fallen apart a couple thousand miles ago, and Greg put a new one in. It was rather an impressive falling apart, with an arm of the throw out coming off and everything in there needing replacement. At least I got my last pennys worth out of that clutch I installed in the nineties, ha ha.
Since the new clutch went in I've adjusted the cable a few times. It feels really funny.
The weld holding the tube above the torsion is still intact, and my driveway is really gritty.
The spring at the tranny is intact.
There's a pedal pan under the front, so I can't see there. Guess I could remove the pan.
Maybe the clutch cable is fraying. SOMETHING is going to give.
Sense impending clutch doom driving it the last month.

Had the same build-up anxiety with my clutch a few months ago...and then snap! as I was going into a turn and up-shifting hahaha. Stuck in second on an uphill with multiple cars behind...when/if it happens, Clara, I hope it's a cool day, near an easy pull-off site, and no one freaking out behind you for going so slow haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Reads like cross shaft arm weld failure or fraying cable.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I've been driving the hell out of the Single this season, 3,000 Miles so far, so I did a Brake adjustment, Saturday, so I could go over Roxbury Gap,

2395 Ft., w/ confidence today, to the best Skinny dipping spot in the State !! Laughing Cool

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Just installed new tires and finished wheels. This bus had crazy mud tires on it when I bought it. All stock now.
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Pulled the engine to extract the broken clutch release fork. Ordered a new HD one from Wolfsburg with the installation kit and a new throwout bearing. Rewired the LED's in the engine bay to clean up the wiring. Tore down one of my 40mm DRLA's. Need to clean and re-assemble tonight and then do the other. Also ordered a bunch of parts: Rusties Accelerator Mod, AirKewld Six Shooter Clutch Adjustment Nut, Headlight Trim, Turn Signal Knob, Fuel Tank Straps and Pads, and spare clutch cables. Fun times!
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Had pulled the 2276 off the Dormy to do a lower end rebuild and to keep it going I installed the 1800 stroker in it. Well, might have had something to do with the IRS but the 1800 was a bit gutless though it did awesome in the Bug. Confused

So today I just threw the 2276 back in the Dormy to get the power it and me are accustomed to. Razz
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I drove for the first time on the highway, last Monday was the first time ever with this bus.
The measurement have been taken for the mattress. Very Happy

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Decided to look at the clutch cable before the Vintage Meet weekend.
Nothing goes smoothly except removal of pedal pan. Also been putting this of because of a sprained wrist which has not quite got better. Any twisting motion is awkward. Examples of twisting motions are unscrewing a wing nut, or turning a wrench or ratchet. Forging forward anyway, slowly. The bus is now disabled. Pics to follow.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Had to replace the bowden tube too. The new one was shorter.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

i call that a timely repair

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Clara is that the clutch cable?
Clara wrote:

Clara what are these short sections?

Clara wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Yes, I'm afraid that is the clutch cable.
After I removed the wingnut and the bowden tube I could see the frayed section just behind where it comes out of the tube on the body, above the transmission nose cone. I don't think those last three strands would have held much longer.

The short tubes are clutch bowden tubes. The longer one (left) is the one I removed from the vehicle. It had a chunk of something inside, either part of the tube itself where it had been scratched up by the frayed cable, or part of the frayed cable. I could feel a grinding feeling when stepping on the clutch before the repair. I used the new one (shorter, straight, on right). The other short one (middle) was a used one. The new one was more flexible that the used ones, which made it easier to install.

The lower pic shows the used clip for the front, with wear, next to the new one I installed. This can be more worn than mine was, but I used a new clip. I greased the parts to help reduce future wear.

Then the wing nut I removed had a bent ear, I compare to one with two straight ears.

It also turned out I had a 68-71 clutch cable behind the front seat, it was 70 mm too long. I found a used clutch cable and the new bowden tube in a box of parts for Greg's yellow 56.

After the repair, when stepping on the clutch the action felt smoother, the grinding feeling was gone.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Clara is that the clutch cable?
Clara wrote:

Clara what are these short sections?

Clara wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 622 of 680

Jump to: