Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkfar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

917-663-5532....same response to my ad..."Okay I'm cool with the price & the condition as described on the the ad I'll like to buy it asap and i will be sending a certified check from my bank to you overnight via USPS within 24 delivery, reply me back with your name and address to send the check out and will also arrange shipment through my shipper after you have cash at hand thanks"..
this for a $50 hornring advertised with no description.
I just tell them I only accept paypal or USPS money order and never hear from them. I was rather surprised to see them attempt this on such a small item....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks for the recent postings
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55oval geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I been receiving text messages from this number seems to be another scammer wants your full name and address to send you a check and won't give you any information on his behalf 405-369-4063
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks, will add it to the list in the scammer thread on the site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

A couple people reported these scammers are texting people again today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PatrickK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Here's one I got a few days ago. Google searched the number and it's on a couple reporting sites. 509-739-7013

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, that is 100% scammer language
masonokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

ADD 706-800-2157 TO THE LIST...
Kent was his name...
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

The sentence structure and syntax used appear to be from India. Reminds me of the fake IRS scam language.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wholesalecalifornia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

FYI 330-899-7393 Is looking for Xmas cash. Started with photos wanted on a $200,000 356 this morning. After the first set and googling his number, I texted him the link congratulated him for making to upper end of the list and wished him a Merry Christmas. All quiet now.

Everett thank you keeping a list going. Have a Merry Christmas.

Mike
Wholesale California
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Apparently this is still going on with the "fake login" stuff

Reported by a user today from 703-662-4434:
Quote:
Hi, I am thesamba admin and noticed a successful sign-in to your thesamba account, from an unrecognized device in another country. If this wasn't you, your account will be among the accounts I will be shutting down that has been sign in from another country device but if you don't want your account with advert to be among the account and advert that will be shut down, send your username with password for us to secure your account with it fast so no one from another country can sign in your account from different country. Everett

Leila73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Signed up yesterday, got a SPAM text within 24 hours. Is this going to be taken care of?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Leila73 wrote:
Signed up yesterday, got a SPAM text within 24 hours. Is this going to be taken care of?

I can't stop people from texting you.
Don't use a phone # and give your phone # out only on request if you do not want phone contact.
tkfar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

just got one from someone wanting me to sign a purchase agreement on an item I am selling using "docusign" . when I attempted to open this document , I was warned by my computer about a virus alert. REALLY? a purchase agreement on something I was selling?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

The purchase agreement sounds strange but:
Docusign is a real business used to sign documents online.
I just used that service last week to sign a document.

They probably didn't send you a real link to docusign though.
Similar to the fake bank/credit card/etc scam emails I get where the links go to scammer web sites
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Another member sent me the PDF used for the "Docusign" document.

It's a scam - The PDF is a single page with a link that goes to a website that was just registered last week.
I did not go to the website link as a safety precaution but I'm guessing they will try to steal any personal information you enter there.

I won't name the exact web site here but it had the name of a major bank as part of the domain name.
(That should be a good enough to compare against anything people receive)
Caine975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

I got this one today. His response is what seemed sketchy. No attempt to negotiate at all and the way the last couple of sentences go.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AXJoJ5pWIUnOqzMyRCXRjZwp4ICE0uSq
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Thanks, that does sound like a standard scammer text I have seen in the past.
Karmann1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts from Sperry Higgins Reply with quote

Asking if my car was still available and wanted to buy my car for his dad and that he a marine officer and can only do emails since leaving any moments for duties and will be on the sea area. But he is able to access email anytime so the quickest payment option if Paypal. Once I get a email from Paypal that the money is in my account and he mention on a second text that he will pay for shipping and wanted me to send $1550 to his shipper via Western Union. I knew this so call Sperry Higgins was a scammer. First of all he send this bogus email that was in spam inbox saying that the money will not be release until I send the $1550. Paypal was notified. Also his email address [email protected] is also a bogus email. BEWARE
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FAKE texts pretending to be from Everett Barnes/TheSamba.com Reply with quote

Yes, typical scammer text - I have seen that a few times and there are some similar messages here in the longer scams thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

The user you mentioned got through the checks on the site and emailed a few people.
You should have gotten a message from the site when they were blocked saying they were a scammer and to ignore any further contact from them

For [email protected], see this post too
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8910657#8910657
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: