Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on my wheel selection....
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWNewbie666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Advice on my wheel selection.... Reply with quote

I have a 1973 VW Thing... this winter I will be installing a narrowed 4" front beam, drop spindles, and I am trying to narrow down the wheels. I was planning on purchasing the 911 style wheel, 4.5" wide upfront with 3.5" inch backspacing and in the rear I am planning on the 5.5" wide with 4" of backspacing. Will these fit with 5x205mm bolt pattern???
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on my wheel selection.... Reply with quote

"911 style wheels" are typically a 5x130 bolt pattern. Cip1.com carries a "wide 5" or 5x205 that look like a Porsche wheel.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32-FU205-5515B
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32-FU205-4515B

Are you asking if the backspacing works? Or if they will fit on a stock drum? Or a disc brake?
VWNewbie666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on my wheel selection.... Reply with quote

Yes I am looking at the replica wheels being offered by CIP1. I am wondering whether the offset and wheel width on front and back would fit. I will be using stock drums.
Ray the Vulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on my wheel selection.... Reply with quote

just something to consider... I'm running stock 15" Bug wheels with a 2" narrowed beam, and where the tops of my tires rub the underside of the fenders, I'll probably switch back to an un-narrowed beam or convert to front disk brakes to push the wheels back out again and gain a little more clearance. If you're looking to be really low, without cutting the front apron and raising the front fenders a couple inches, I'd get the raised off road fenders and not narrow the front beam. Then you would be one of the lowest static Things out there.
gonna take some trial and error...
good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: