Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelsonhogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

In getting ready for the first real trip in our converted 87 westie, I sent off a datalog to Jim who reports that the voltage is way too high (over 16) and suggests looking at grounds and measuring various voltages, some of which aren't easy to get to (like, what is the "dist box"). Anyhow, this conversion was done by Dylan at Insyncro who I've discovered stuck me with various inferior bits, or took some away for himself. In any case, the power steering pump leaked and needed to be replaced which brings me to the other part on the belt - the alternator. It wouldn't surprise me that it is defective. But, could I be wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

Can you replace the regulator with an adjustable one? I used that to tweak mine up a little on a stock alternator.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

I would do as Bostig suggests and measure the output directly, I am guessing the only source of the 17 volts number is from the OBDII data log so you should verify what's going on. Do you have a multimeter that you are comfortable using?

I am guessing the dist box is the black box on the driver's front of the engine bay, I believe this would be a spot where you can access the voltage coming right from the alternator at the "hot" post.
nelsonhogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

I believe the regulator is internal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nelsonhogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

I see almost 17 volts by measuring directly at the alternator which is consistent with what is in the datalog ( a little higher, actually).
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

nelsonhogg wrote:
I see almost 17 volts by measuring directly at the alternator which is consistent with what is in the datalog ( a little higher, actually).

Most likely your regulator is kaput, don't drive it in this condition as you could fry some stuff like the ECU. Do you measure any voltage between the alternator body and the van's ground i.e. measuring between the body of the running alternator (the cast body of the alt itself, not the post) and a clean ground somewhere on the body (like a nice clean bolt exposed in the engine bay area)?
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

If your alternator was new, trade it in where it was purchased, it's a bad rebuild.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
nelsonhogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

So, I checked the voltage between terminal and case on the alternator and it was also the 16+ volts. Then, I turned on headlights, fans etc and voltage at the battery dropped to 12.4. Turned off those things and voltage remained in the 13-14 volt range both at battery and alternator. What does that mean?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

nelsonhogg wrote:
What does that mean?

the regulator is NFG

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

Yep, sounds like you are in the market for a new alternator.

Fortunately for you this is a very straightforward job, and any major auto parts store will have one on the shelf for your Bostig (alternator would be for a 1999 Ford Contour, thanks for reminding me of this Microbusdeluxe). The job itself is going to be the same exact procedure as changing the alternator on a Ford focus and if you are handy with a wrench you should be able to do the work in about an hour.

Here is a video of the procedure, deviations would be that
-you are using an alternator for the 1999 Ford Contour (mounting is the same)
-you can skip the steps where they are getting stuff out of the way in the crowded Focus engine bay, your alternator is much more accessible
-you will be disconnecting a battery under the passenger seat and not one in the engine bay like in the video (remember to disconnect the house battery of you have one of those as well).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFoQxPUw_xc

Last edited by SyncroButter on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

You do know that the Bostig conversion requires an alternator from a 1999 Ford Contour, NOT a Focus, right?
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

Yep, as said it sounds like the voltage regulator is toast. Seen this a few times ourselves, reading like "13-something, 13-something, 13-something, WHAM, spike to 17."

I take it that alternators put out 17 and the regulator keeps them to the low-to-mid-14s. Anyone know for sure?

Every time I've priced these parts (Edit: for a WESTY) it turns out the regulators aren't that much less than alternators, so I opt for the entire unit. Regulators are the weak link when demands on the alternators rises, such as if charging more than a starter battery.

Dying to try a higher-output regulator, I'm a believer though based on yet-untried logic of it. To unpopular replies we had a technically-faulty regulator a spell, I think, putting out 14-something. Not accepted is our engine ran far better with more juice, and mpg gained 10%.

It was like having three-digits of brute horsepower like everything else. Wink

— Colin Chapman
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
You do know that the Bostig conversion requires an alternator from a 1999 Ford Contour, NOT a Focus, right?

Thanks for reminding me of this, been a few years since I did my conversion. I updated my earlier post.
nelsonhogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help in zeroing in on the alternator. I purchased a new one from rockauto and installed it. Not a hard job but took me several hours. And the best part is that the output is now in the mid 14s. Another bit of Insyncro's junk pile replaced. I'm hoping, of course, that this is the end for a while.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

Fell your pain in feeling shorted by people you hired, but glad this is fixed.

— Colin Chapman
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Microbusdeluxe wrote:

Thanks for reminding me of this, been a few years since I did my conversion. I updated my earlier post.

The Bostig conversion requires either a Focus or Contour alternator depending on the version of the kit you have. Earlier kits (like mine) use a Focus alt, later ones use a Contour alt. Contact Bostig if you are unsure.

I'm adding this for clarity for future readers Wink

Robyn
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig alternator putting out nearly 17 volts Reply with quote

Just an FYI, in case you don’t know: there are tabs that lock the alternator down. Press them back in with a big screwdriver after removing the bolts. Then it comes off easily.
Get new alternator from FLAPS for ease of warranty replacement.

Use threadlock on the bolts when installing.

Sorry you got screwed by InSyncro, it’s a big club!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: