Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

So, I don't know very much about show classes, or, to remain more positive, I know very little about them. I understand they obvious breakdown of the years, but I am wondering more about once you break away from stock, what the divisions are? And how do factors such as suspension, engine size, interior and paint choices play out?

thanks for any schooling supplied, or links that help explain it better.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

I ran a VW show for 15 years. We had STOCK, MODIFIED and CUSTOM.

Stock is stock, minor things like radial tires, 12v conversions and aftermarket replacement parts pushed you to modified. 4 or more major mods pushed you to custom.

So a 1600dp, lowered, non stock color and non stock interior made you custom.

Buses are hard because how do you compare a single cab to a Westy?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. Things at a local VW show here where kinda the same way.

I was really thinking something more like at OCTO, more busses, more classes?

gordo.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

i would like to hear how this is done. I only hosted one meeting back in the day in Germany. we did not really do any classes and such, just longest distance really. I could, however, see best survivor, best original restored, best camper, best special model, like fire engine, hearse, etc. best motor, best real custom, like air ride, porsche engine, and such.
best not quite stock.... say lowered, non-stock color, fuchs wheels, etc

a 1600dual port in a not quite stock bus would not bother me, only in a best original restored class

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

Just attend as a spectator , watch a guy who spent $70K win a $10 dollar "trophy" and then strut around like he won something. Once this realization kicks in, laugh till the slurpy shoots out your nose. The "winners" are the drivers.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

as a guy who can do very limited work to his own bus i would NOT be a guy who would parade around if i won a trophy. Also, if i was a guy who spent 6 digits on a bus by writing a check, i would be very embarrassed to walk around like a king. However, i can see the guy who put a million bucks in sweat equity into his own bus patting himself on the back if he won a trophy.

Me, personally, i'm just happy to make a show without breaking down! Embarassed Embarassed

i think a good way to do split bus class would be

early split to 67 passenger bus stock
early split to 67 commercial stock
early split to 67 camper stock
and then do the same categories as custom

no?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

obus wrote:

i think a good way to do split bus class would be

early split to 67 passenger bus stock
early split to 67 commercial stock
early split to 67 camper stock
and then do the same categories as custom

no?

i agree, but that's the easy part, once you go past stock, where to make the division?
Such as, the vintage speed class, would be only improvements that are period correct...like Fuchs, dual port 1600, dual carbs... the things that would have been done to it in it's early life. Not fuel injected, unless Hilborn mechanical injection.

Do the shows (big shows ) list what classes they have?

Gordo.

Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Shows, need help understanding different classes for Busses. Reply with quote

Manfred58sc,you got it!!!
"Just attend as a spectator , watch a guy who spent $70K win a $10 dollar "trophy" and then strut around like he won something. Once this realization kicks in, laugh till the slurpy shoots out your nose. The "winners" are the drivers."

Love this....thats exactly what its all about.
I guess thats why OCTO works so well,400 odd buses and no show classes or trophies,just people there for the right reasons...they drive the prize.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: