Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Timing question Reply with quote

Today I was driving around and the engine died. It turned out that the points slipped closed. I did the best to get it going withough my glasses then limped home. Unrelated to the points slipping, I found that the crank pulley is at BDC when cylinder 1 is at TDC. I took out the bolt that attaches the pulley to the crank so see if anything was weird there (it is reinstalled now). Also, I pulled the #1 spark plug and verified it was at TDC using a mirror.

Any ideas why the crank pulley is 180° off?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Have you followed that wire that's over the rotor when the distributor is in that position to see what cylinder it leads to?, don't count on the notch indicating TDC unless YOU installed the drive.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Have you followed that wire that's over the rotor when the distributor is in that position to see what cylinder it leads to?, don't count on the notch indicating TDC unless YOU installed the drive.

Thanks for the reply! I did trace all spark plug wires and, when at BTDC they all go where they should.

Is it possible the distributor shaft is installed 180° off? I haven't checked the manual to see how it's installed. I'll look into that tonight.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

I don't think so, I suspect you have a Monday morning or Friday afternoon EMPI special pulley there, or maybe it's made for the Australian market? Razz

I'd be slipping it off carefully so the engine doesn't turn and slipping another on to make sure the marks are really indicating the correct degrees, you can live with the 180 flip if you know it's there, but if the graphics are skewed as well you may damage your engine by unknowingly mistiming it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

I think you are right about it being a Monday or Friday pulley. I found this on Wolfsburg International. With the key at 9 o'clock TDC is up. Mine appears to be backwards. Maybe it'll be priceless like stamps that are printed upside down! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thanks for the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

So I picked up a timing gun and found the timing was about 40° BTDC. I adjusted it to 10° BTDC. That brought the idle down nicely, but when accelerating the engine seems to lose power early. It kind of flattens out if that makes sense.
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

I installed a compu fire electronic ignition that I got from Wolfgang Int. and WOW! It runs so smooth. I haven't heard any valve chatter when lugging it. I also put in a new 009 distributor, the stock sized crank pulley, new coil, spark plugs and spark plug wires.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: