Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I removed the tank in order to change gaskets and fuel lines. There's some rust inside. Outside is in good condition. Some minor surface rust on the top but nothing major.
What do you think?

(1990 2WD. In addition to the filter after the fuel pump, I added one before the pump as well, 5 000 k ago).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

When I had mine out I took it to a place that did radiator work and they steam cleaned it and then coated it with some special rust preventative mojo. It seemed to work and wasn't that expensive.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

It will probably be fine. If the money isn't much to you, you could just replace it with a new one while you have it out. If you don't want to spend the money and nothing looks like it could rust though anytime soon just run it.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

I like the steam-clean idea. I've searched, and unfortunately there's no radiator place nearby... So I guess I'll leave it as is.
I'll put some rust inhibitor on the surface rust on the outside of the tank and call it a day.
Next time I change the prefilter, I'll see if there's some rust in it. That will be the signal for a new tank... In a few years time hopefully Razz
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

To keep out rust -- be sure to keep the tank as full as possible in high humidity and filled if she is not being driven often. When the van is resting humid air in the tank can condensate and that is how you get rust in a tank.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
To keep out rust -- be sure to keep the tank as full as possible in high humidity and filled if she is not being driven often. When the van is resting humid air in the tank can condensate and that is how you get rust in a tank.

This makes sense. The van has been on the west coast most, if not all, of his life. I'll keep the tank full!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

Tough call, but in the interests of eventual restoration I tend to replace when removed. Driveline, not. Very Happy

Hard to judge the rust. One way is knowing how long your fuel filters were hanging up to now. Our bus has nearly 300K on it (if ignoring the lost years) and was water-flooded in 2015 for a couple days. I never saw rust in the cube filter but only got six months of study before going to the canister post-pump filter (and two years before that, but pre-flood).

A new tank may well be worth it if rust gets out to travel more than I think, though.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Light rust inside fuel tank - should I care? Reply with quote

Looks like close up photos of minor surface rust to me, I wouldn't worry at all about that
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: